Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: The Whine thread.

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:23 am

20:20 (8:20pm) and 100°. Ugh.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:33 am

I am trying to write, watching a Law and Order: Criminal Intent I can recite by route, and my brother is trying to set popsicle sticks on fire... inside the house.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Gosh, my whole message just disappeared after I had it all written! What the heck, is there a time limit on messages here?

Anyway, I am sorry about the sick doggie. 100 degrees? That is HOT, Rigil. The Milwaukee area only has 80 degrees most days but there has been terrible humidity this summer. So we have been out in the boat for the lake breeze a lot.

My 19 year-old granddaughter is in the hospital with a kidney infection and they haven't been able to figure out how she got it or how to stop the pain. My daughter, Heather, has been sleeping on a cot in her room for two days and I have been bringing food for Heather. My five-year-old granddaugher is staying with Jim and me at our house and my sixteen-year-old grandson, Dylan, has been taking care of the three-year-old, Shayla, while his Dad is at work.

But we have been having some fun going out fishing even while we are worried about Image. Skyelar has been practicing her boat driving, sitting on life jackets so she can see out the window. She is now managing turns with the boat quite well. Yes, I know a five-year-old cannot legally drive a 26 foot cabin cruiser but we only let her drive with her Dad at her side and when there are no boats near by on Lake Michigan. Besides, it was relatively calm, only a foot and a half waves. And we can see a police boat coming a long way off and have an adult at the wheel before they see us.

Both Shayla and Skylar have child size fishing poles. Skyelar is issued a real fish hook because she has learned to look behind her when she casts. Shayla will cast from any place and any time and has even cast her pole in the water...but that is okay because it floats. We "fish" the pole out with boat hooks. My only whine about yesterday's fishing is that we did not catch any fish :dunno: .

Skyelar driving the boat last summer:
Last edited by Linda on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Poor Image. I hope they figure that out quickly and get her all better.

That boat sounds like a whole lot of fun.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:04 pm

Double post, but I just have to whine about my apparent inability to not lose garden tools. Somewhere out there is a very nice Felco pruner -- absolutely the best I've ever owned -- with a red handle, so I won't lose it. Ha! Also there's a pair of red-handled SCISSORS I made due with this morning because I haven't been able to find said pruner in over a week. How can I lose things so damned quickly?????????

Gah!!!!!!! :evil: :-x :evil: :-x :evil: :-x
Image.Image

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:11 pm

Alelou wrote:How can I lose things so damned quickly?????????

Terrifying space monkeys. They have a need for them...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:12 pm

Kidney infections can cause so much pain. I hope your granddaughter feels better soon Linda. Also good luck running after small children, that can really take it out of you :lol: .
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. (Mason Cooley)

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:10 pm

I am having one Hell of a time with my Server. It has become slow as the second coming. Every site I go to it is the same. Not in my Computer. I have run diagnostics. Everything is fine. When I use the computer for things that don't involve the Server all works as it should. Doubt if I have a trojan but don't know.

It has become progressively worse in th e past weeks. doesn't do any good to call the Server all they say is "It is in your computer." I have had this problem with other Servers in the past. One kept me testing for three days. I even took the computer to a repair shop. Nothing could be found yet the Server insited that nothing was wrong with it. I finally bought a new Modem and put it in. On the fourth day I get an Email stating that the server had been having problems but they were now fixed. Same with other servers. Just won't admit that they have a problem and that any problem has to be in my Computer.

So, It takes me a half hour to get done what should only take me 10 minutes. Has anyone been experiencings like this? My server is Quest.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:13 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:

That, and Al Bundy's used socks...
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:49 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
Rigil Kent wrote:

That, and Al Bundy's used socks...

I found the scissors. Now if I could just find the lovely expensive pruners...
Image.Image

EntAllat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Google Talk: EntAllat

Postby EntAllat » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:53 pm

Ever have one of those days where, in a moment of unthinking puppy-like enthusiasm, you do something that you think is a really cool thing but then realize later that 'oh crap maybe person X wouldn't share that opinion' and that, in fact, you have just made a mistake and it's confirmed later when someone sounds (rightfully) annoyed with you?

Um. Yeah.

*sigh*
EntAllat, aka "No No Bad Dog" and feeling a little blue

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:19 am

Ouch. :?

I would think that if you did honestly make this mistake out of "unthinking puppylike enthusiasm" (and not deliberately) that the person who is annoyed with you will forgive you if you ask pretty please and say you're sorry. Or at least I hope so. :hug:
Image sig by chrisis1033

EntAllat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Google Talk: EntAllat

Postby EntAllat » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:31 am

Distracted wrote:Ouch. :?

I would think that if you did honestly make this mistake out of "unthinking puppylike enthusiasm" (and not deliberately) that the person who is annoyed with you will forgive you if you ask pretty please and say you're sorry. Or at least I hope so. :hug:

I did and they just did. :happyjump: I still feel a little like :duh: and :oops: but I'll get over it. I'm lucky the person in question is a good friend and very understanding.

Thanks!

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:09 pm

My father is completely computer ilterate and seems to think that I exist soley to answer his computer questions. He called me once today (from halfway across the country) to ask how to insert footnotes into his document. Sometimes he'll call asking the meaning of random words, or which word of two means what he wants.

But this takes the cake: He calls me in the middle of dinner, asks if I'd finished editing this huge map he sent (and expects me to edit with only Paint at my disposal since my Photoshop trial ran out) an hour before, and then curses and hangs up when I tell him I'll email it to him when I'm done with it.

I know he means well, but, God, he drives me crazy. And he does this all the time - I talk to him more when he's gone, over the phone, than I actually do when he's here; and it's all simple things like, "Do I have this book downstairs?" or, my fav, a 20 second long conversation that consited entirely of "Is your brother home?" and my answer of yes before he hung up.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:33 am

Sounds like you need to get him a word processing tutorial CD for his birthday and maybe Photoshop software. Time to teach an old dog new tricks. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “General Chat”