Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Brannon Braga gets new insights

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:10 am

At the recent Vegas Con, Brannon Braga made some startling confessions. Read about it here. :roll:

And my comments can be found in my blog

Feel free to comments here and/or at my blog! :mrgreen:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Elessar
Site Owner

Re: Brannon Braga gets new insights

Postby Elessar » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:59 am

Interesting. This makes me wish a little more that I'd been able to go. If the gloves truly were 'off', I would have asked him why he broke up Trip and T'Pol because it's so very obviously contradictory to the diversity spirit of star trek and the later history leading up to Sarek and Amanda.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:15 am

Frankly, after what Braga did, I hardly care about his insights. Like you said, KTR, too little too late.

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:33 am

Mere window dressing in a vain attempt to salvage a severely damaged career. He is well aware that fans once willing to see anything he did now wouldn't bother to spit on him if he were on fire.

He if feeling the result of his and his partners arrogance, incompetence and apathy the only way it matters to him, in the pocketbook.

HtH

YMMV

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:40 am

My response: he's full of shit. He's telling us what he thinks we want to hear, but while he's had some time to think it over, he obviously hasn't thought it over all that well, and it shows in his replies. He still couldn't come up with a real reason why they killed off Trip, other than the initial "emotional impact" excuse, which doesn't hold water because of how his death was treated.

I actually wished I could have been there to go through my list with him on why *the_abomination* and for that matter different parts of the show sucked (ANiS, The Seventh, etc.), and that I could have called him on it when he gave weak answers (like say asking "what emotional impact?" when he gave his explanation for killing Trip). But it probably wouldn't have made any difference anyway. Not like he can go back and change it, or even truely realize his mistakes and why they were mistakes for that matter. :roll:

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:31 pm

Yes, I agree, a little too late! Unfortunately his best trek episodes are now overshadowed by his worst. I really don't understand how he could have gotten so out of touch with his characters and the fans to make that last terrible episode after the good ones he had made. And I will let the psychologists answer the question I have about a guy wanting to kill that which he loves best. (Scratching my head) Where does THAT come from? What does a person get out of that? Perhaps doing this last con is part of that twelve step recovery proceedure - the step where you try to make things up with those you have harmed?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:14 pm

One italian peasant saying:
Mourning is useless, cow is dead.
Another italian saying:
There is always a way.
And trust me: Italians have a good knowledge of this stuff.

We have to take no notice of Braga be and Co. We have to look at future and for a way to salvage all that one can. Obviously, I already said it, in my mind the way is not TGTMD, even if I have to submit to the fact that this book, in one way, should be considered CANON.
The reason because of which I not like the solution of TGTMD is that the Trip and T’Pol relationship is not a supporting wall of the story. Oh, I know. Everybody aren't Trip and T’Pol lovers.
Nevertheless, perhaps, precisely here might be the problem.
There is something more charming that controversial love, fought and nevertheless victorious?
I think one of the reasons because of which the series been interrupted, maybe been this: It was no longer "Star Trek". It had become the essence of what in every "literature" is charming us: the love.
But, what to pity! This was the occasion to do the big leap!
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:38 pm

yeah, I'm not saying I believe him, but I'd have liked to watch him squirm trying to answer a question that only someone speaking sincerely could have answered :badgrin:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Complicated
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Complicated » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:32 pm

I agree with everything that has been said...I was trying to understand in my own way why Braga especially made those mistakes? I personally think that sometime people make certain mistakes because they are in a certain situation that leads them to the mistakes...

The TOS series did not have a proper series finale I believe...and the other Star Trek series finale episodes were 2 hours long I think...so having a 1 hour long episode as the series finale for Enterprise was from the beginning a bad decision, when you are trying to tie up all the loose ends after 4 years...a lot was not explained unfortunately in that last episode. I also believe that they really ran out of episodes by the time the series finale had to be aired....season four had fewer episodes than season three and in the end they found themselves with one (1 hour) episode left and everything to explain...these elements were not conducive to make good decisions and have a great series finale...in addition to BnB's own mistaken choices of course.

I was not in Vegas, but if I had been there I would have loved to ask Braga who decided who was going to be writing the series finale. Manny Coto would have made a much better job, but BnB's ego came in the way, because they had to write the series finale of course... :doubt: Braga was already working on his own series for NBC ("Threshold" I believe was the title...) and I doubt he had the proper time to focus on writing a good closure to Enterprise, one more reason to give it to Manny Coto...alas..

I am an optimistic....and maybe naive, but I am still hoping that in the future there will be a Star Trek movie with the Enterprise series crew...even a TV movie... :mrgreen:

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:58 pm

Meh. I think some of you are overreacting.

Braga has been on record for quite a while as agreeing about the various problems with ENT. Unlike his partner Berman, Braga has actually acknowledged that *the_abomination* didn't work and that some serious mistakes were made throughout the course of the show. At least he's willing to admit that those mistakes were made instead of insisting that the fans who hated what they did are idiots and morons who don't understand his genius, you know?

Yes, he's likely acting in more of a damage control manner than any actual regrets, but you've got to give the man some props for having the cojones to get up in front of so many people after he's been vilified and portrayed as the second coming of Satan.

JMHO...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:00 pm

Has anyone interviewed Berman on the subject?
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:03 pm

Complicated wrote:I am an optimistic....and maybe naive, but I am still hoping that in the future there will be a Star Trek movie with the Enterprise series crew...even a TV movie... :mrgreen:

I hope (with one not hidden love...)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:10 pm

I too still hope for a movie or mini series or somthing with the Enterprise crew. I am glad there is someone else who is a hopeless romantic of this sort has spoken up about that hope! I suspect a lot of people on the board hope for this too.

Braga was also trying for a cap of the whole Star Trek universe - for all the series in that one hour episode. What an ego! Its not over Brannon! So you had your hand on over 100 episodes over three of the series? Well, there are over 700 episodes in six series plus 10 movies plus hundreds of novels. You are not the only spokesman for Star Trek! Yes, trying to wrap up something that is not even finished, in one short hour, is unrealistic and deserved to fail as it did.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:19 pm

Valentine?!? Valentine?!? Valentine?!?

What an a*****e.

Grrrrr....
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:20 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Meh. I think some of you are overreacting.

Braga has been on record for quite a while as agreeing about the various problems with ENT. Unlike his partner Berman, Braga has actually acknowledged that *the_abomination* didn't work and that some serious mistakes were made throughout the course of the show. At least he's willing to admit that those mistakes were made instead of insisting that the fans who hated what they did are idiots and morons who don't understand his genius, you know?

Yes, he's likely acting in more of a damage control manner than any actual regrets, but you've got to give the man some props for having the cojones to get up in front of so many people after he's been vilified and portrayed as the second coming of Satan.

JMHO...

Amen to that! I told you people all along this was a good guy. I think his successes ("All Good Things," "Generations," Heck . . . the whole concept for the Enterprise series) far outweigh his failures.

Thank you Brenan Bragga! I'm a fan. Maybe there is a tiny bit of revisionism as he looks back, maybe not. Whose to say? But for Threshold and These are the Voyages--I forgive him. I won't mention it again.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Return to “General Chat”