Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian
Show On Map: No

Books

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:35 pm

HEY LOOK! IT'S A NEW BOOK THREAD!

So, I read Harry Potter in one day on Saturday and came up, googly-eyed, at 11:50 pm. Poor family: they were most neglected.

I really liked it! I thought it was neat, being the 7th book, that she didn't have to "preserve" any character for the next book. So anyone was up for killing. And boy did she, huh? Hacking down her own peeps left right and centre! Ah well. You just didn't know who was going to be next. I found it odd that

SPOILER!!!:
she made such a point of trundling the Dursleys off to live in the wizard protection program, and then she doesn't mention them, even a wee bit, ever again.

I also just read The Time Traveller's Wife, because it was recommended by JustTripn and it is AWESOME! I'm rereading it now, even tho I just finished it, cause it's sort of confusing as all get out....as you go along and try and pay attention to little details and retroactively fit them together. This 2nd time around is totally different than the first and almost better, because all the little things make perfect sense now and I'm going "Oooohhhhhh, thaaaaat's why...."

SUCH A GOOD RECOMMENDATION, JUST'T'ING!!! :D
Last edited by enterprikayak on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Chris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Books

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:59 pm

I read the Time Traveler's Wife when it first came out. It was very good. Actually, I could probably read it again and it feel like the first time. You really had to pay attention.

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:07 am

enterprikayak wrote:HEY LOOK! IT'S A NEW BOOK THREAD!

So, I read Harry Potter in one day on Saturday and came up, googly-eyed, at 11:50 pm. Poor family: they were most neglected.

I also just read The Time Traveller's Wife, because it was recommended by JustTripn and it is AWESOME!

*lol* I'm on the same books. Just finished Harry Potter on Wednesday night and the Time Traveller's Wife is almost there. I've made that my "gym" book so that I'm forced to take it a little bit slower and let things sink in...

I'm also trying to stretch it out because I'm gearing up for Eclipse, and Jinx. Both are young adult books, but (trust me) for Eclipse: the first two books in the Twillight series were AMAZING (if you like vampires... even if you don't, you'll love these books. Soooooo beautiful! And read the reviews-- most of the reviewers were adults who loved the books), and as for Jinx, Meg Cabot never disappoints no matter which genre she writes in...
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."
--Coco Chanel

Emberchyld's Livejournal: 45% dance, 45% skating, 5% Trying to convince others to watch Enterprise 5% everything else. You've been warned

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:54 pm

I've finally gotten pretty far in "The Good That Men Do"! But get this... in a few weeks/months I'll be starting on the first HP... and DOIN EM ALL! hah.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:08 pm

Currently juggling HP&TDH, Un Lun Dun, and Killing With the Edge of the Moon. The last is basically a Tam Lin story.
Un Lun Dun is copiously illustrated with little monster drawings. It's very witty and contains one of the things I love to find in a book: a fabulous, fantastical library.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Chris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Chris » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:29 am

I'm now reading:The Swarm (enterprikayak I actually made the link. Aren't you proud? Very Happy )

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:45 am

I'm so proud of you Chris! Very Happy
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:14 am

Wow! I'm so flattered someone took my advice. Hmmm . . . what do I do with my newfound credibility? The last book I read was a nonfiction book, called "Plutonium." It was about . . Plutonium. But you would have to be a very odd sort of person to enjoy that book. OK, here's another can't-fail recommendation: "Never Have Your Dog Stuffed" the autobiography of Alan Alda, and NO, it's not about M*A*S*H*. Alan Alda had a very unusual, dysfunctional childhood growing up in a family of vaudeville performers. He spend his childhood backstage with naked ladies. His mother had schizophrenia.

http://www.amazon.com/Never-Have-Your-D ... 1400064090

I know it's not science fiction, but it is another book that flew around the office, after my Mom gave it to me for Christmas. Everyone loved it.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:00 am

JT you should have told me more about your Plutonium book! You didn't need to let me rattle on about nothingness that night! You told me about that book, but you should have told me more! Very Happy I don't know much about plutonium other than the obvious... it's a non-natural radioactive element you can use to make nukes Laughing
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:26 pm

Strange New Worlds 10 is a great book since it's the very last book in this series. It has alot of great stories in it. You might want to check out Hopeful Romantic's Enterprise story The Dream is in this book.Also if you're a StarWars fan Timothy Zahn's latest book the first in a new series that takes place between EmpireStrikes back and Return of the Jedi is really good we see Mara jade introduced for the first time and a bunch of rogue Stormtroopers who don't approve of the Empires strong armed tactics against people under their protection.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:32 am

I recind my "Never Have Your Dog Stuffed" recommendation and change it to "Strange New Worlds 10" !!!!!!

(I almost forgot it was coming out.)

Elessar, I said, "I read a book about Plutonium" and you started telling me about Plutonium. Very Happy Which is fine with me. I can't retain information, I can barely follow as I'm reading. But for some reason, I find it very calming and relaxing to read stories I can just barely follow.And I will repeat, I had a WONDERFUL time at the con.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:54 am

Oh, I soooooo forgot about SNW10.... yup, awesome book. And I'm REALLY sad that it's the last of the SNW anthologies. I'm also sad that they didn't have it at the con-- I would have loved to hear everyone elses' opinion on the stories (esp Hopeful Romantic's amazing story!)

Add to my pile of books "Stitch 'n Bitch Nation"-- an awesome book full of fun knitting patterns (uhm, baby devil tail pants, anyone?) I still don't know how to knit really well, but it's fun to dream over these patterns and the funny stories/ how-tos-- ie, one of the sections is named "Knit Happens". Not your granny's knitting patterns. I also love their "Stitch 'n Bitch: The Happy Hooker" for crochet-ers like me.

And I'll probably be gearing up for "Becoming Jane" by skimming some of my Jane Austen novels.

Hmmm.... the plutonium book sounds... interesting. As a kid, I loved reading the encyclopedia for fun (yes, I was born a geek), so this might actually work for me.
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."
--Coco Chanel

Emberchyld's Livejournal: 45% dance, 45% skating, 5% Trying to convince others to watch Enterprise 5% everything else. You've been warned

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:34 am

You might enjoy No Idle Hands, a Social History of American Knitting by Anne MacDonald. Smile
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:32 pm

I really like the Ds9 novel Rising Son by S.D. Perry better than some the other Mission Gamma books. I like the Even Odds crew having a alot of interesting Gamma quadrant aliens like the wattai and and other characters we never saw in the series, the Captain I really liked and the Cardassian Doctor and the Ferengi to name a few. This is Jakes's journey about him having to deal with his fathers disappearence and coming to terms with issues he hadn't dealt with yet. Kai Opaka's plays an important part later an the book.

Chris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Chris » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:38 pm

Still reading The Swarm, but just started Deep Storm by Lincoln Child

Return to “General Chat”