2009 Holiday Photos Thread!

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

What winter days do you celebrate? Check all that apply!

Christmas - Religious
10%
Christmas - Secular
21%
Hanukkah/Chanukah
No votes
Kwanzaa
No votes
Boxing Day
4%
Hallowe'en
13%
Thanksgiving
16%
New Year's Eve
24%
Other
12%

Total votes: 68

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian
Show On Map: No

2009 Holiday Photos Thread!

Postby enterprikayak » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:42 pm

We're all gonna have pictures of us snuggling up to Uncle Waldo and eating too much turkey....so here's the place to display them! :lol: I'll start.

Here's one from last night's caroling at the in-laws. I'm holding Abby and Priso looks like he's had a few too many nips from the punch bowl, but actually he was the DD and this is what he looks like stone cold sober. :lol: Aureilia was having too much fun to be anything but a blur in all the pix.

|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Re: 2009 Holiday Photos Thread!

Postby Linda » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:40 pm

I celebrate Winter Solstice in December as a Wiccan, and since some parts of the family are Christian, we celebrate Christmas with them. And I guess you could say I celebrate Hallowe'en though we call it Samhain which is Celtic New Year. We do celebrate the calendar New Year's Eve on December 31 with our New Year's Eve Sobriety Pow Wow consisting of a pot luck feast and dance as a free, non-alcoholic way to bring in the New Year. These holidays reflect both the Celtic and Native American heritage in our family. 8)

Oops, forgot my photo flash drive which I usually have in my purse. I will put up photos later.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:39 pm

enterprikayak wrote:Image

Absolutely lovely!
And I like very much your luminous look, EK.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:01 pm

celebrate and celebrate, we're free (as in there are public holidays) for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day (we call it Second Day Christmas), then New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Then there's Epiphany on January 6th.

No Thanksgiving or Halloween here. The Jewish community celebrate Chanukkah of course. But Kwanzaa!? No offense, but as far as I know it's an artficial, made-up holiday. It's not observed across the pond. If I didn't follow US media I wouldn't know about it either.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:46 pm

Great photo! Yes, I can vouch for the fact that BOTH Priso and EK are marvelously and wildly entertaining even when stone cold sober. :D

Christmas Eve is big down here, with midnight mass and big family get togethers. Then we generally get up and do it all over again at Christmas. :lol:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:56 pm

Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve and Day for us!

We hosted Thanksgiving at our house this year. We spend Christmas Eve with Mike's family, having dinner at my father-in-laws club, it's a very fancy affair, very formal, and enjoy a casual Christmas Day with mine. No midnight Mass for us yet. Steven couldn't stay up that late yet!

We throw a big New Year's Eve party at our house, inviting 6 other couples and their children. It's crazy and fun. All the kids (all under 10 years old) begin to melt down around 1:00 a.m. Here's Mike at last year's bash.

My best friend from high school's family throws a big New Years Day part that we always attend..

Martial artists all over the world celebrate Kagami Biraki the second weekend in January with a vigorous training session that sets the tone for the new year followed by a nice dinner out. I probably should have added that to "other." This picture is last year.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:36 am

No pics yet, unless someone posts them from our salon Christmas party on Facebook.

I do Halloween (both in the Wiccan sense and in the Trick or Treat sense), Thanksgiving, and the secular Christmas with my family because their beliefs are a little more, ah, mainstream.

I checked "other" for the solstice and Imbolic.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:42 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:celebrate and celebrate, we're free (as in there are public holidays) for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day (we call it Second Day Christmas), then New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Then there's Epiphany on January 6th.

No Thanksgiving or Halloween here. The Jewish community celebrate Chanukkah of course. But Kwanzaa!? No offense, but as far as I know it's an artficial, made-up holiday. It's not observed across the pond. If I didn't follow US media I wouldn't know about it either.

It's not exactly huge here either. I don't think I've ever personally known a single black person who actually celebrates Kwanzaa. It seems to exist primarily for public service messages on TV and neat little grade school curriculum lessons celebrating diversity. Granted, most of the black people I have known are people I went to church with, so they might have other priorities, but no one at work ever mentioned it either (except as a joke).

And yes, it was invented in 1966 to celebrate African heritage. It's not religious.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:01 am

Alelou wrote:It's not exactly huge here either. I don't think I've ever personally known a single black person who actually celebrates Kwanzaa. It seems to exist primarily for public service messages on TV and neat little grade school curriculum lessons celebrating diversity.

:lol: seems that way here too. We are a shockingly "white" society in my small part of Canada....I'd actually appreciate a little more diversity around here, but no....little old white ladies as far as the eye can see. :lol:
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:23 am

enterprikayak wrote:
Alelou wrote:It's not exactly huge here either. I don't think I've ever personally known a single black person who actually celebrates Kwanzaa. It seems to exist primarily for public service messages on TV and neat little grade school curriculum lessons celebrating diversity.

:lol: seems that way here too. We are a shockingly "white" society in my small part of Canada....I'd actually appreciate a little more diversity around here, but no....little old white ladies as far as the eye can see. :lol:

Luminous is an understatement!! I LOVE your new hair color... I... I think the Great Plume of Agasoria comes to mind :faint:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Ludmila
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Ludmila » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:17 pm

I celebrate only New Year's Eve but I compensate such small number of holidays via celebrating it not only December 31, but and in February as Chinese New Year and January 13 (Russian Old New Year – the holiday according to the our old calendar changed 100 years ago, I think this tradition was kept because for our believers Christmas is January 7 and they keep the fast in December). Really they are only the occasion for celebrating New Year in the different companies.
I plan to celebrate this New Year very modestly and post my old pictures:

Last year celebrating at my work with me in the middle.
Celebrating of 2007 New Year at work:

My classmate and my friend from university (student of the same year) visited me at New 2005 Year's Eve. Our company is in my flat at 23-45 (11.45 pm) December 31 2004:
I am on the street in those days:

Kagami Biraki has very interesting way for celebrating. Thanks for info, Aikiweezie!

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:09 pm

I LOVE your pictures, Ludmilla! Especially the one at your flat. I looks like you were having a really good time.
We will be busy from now until New Years with one party or outing after another. Family, Friends, school, etc.
Unlike Enterprikayak's area, ours is very diverse. In my little subdivision of about 30 homes we have families of Philippino, Chinese, Indian, Middle Eastern, African-American (and no, none of them celebrate Kwanzaa) and European descent. The grocery stores and restaurants reflect that so we get to enjoy all kinds of great food because of that.

Ludmila
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Ludmila » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:57 pm

Yes, it was a great time. We all are scattered in the different places of our country and we seldom see each other.
By the way the girl who seems drunk a little drinks never.
Happy time for all during celebrating the winter holidays!

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:20 pm

Great pictures, Ludmilla! :D
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:22 pm

It's so nice to put a face to the name, Ludmila! Looks like fun.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “General Chat”