Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

evcake
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Randomness

Postby evcake » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:13 pm

Reanok wrote:Rigils Live Journal site is back up. great stories and hope he'll return soon.

Been there. Smile Read them. Smile Real good. Smile
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:03 am

I got me a livejournal (thanks Coffeecat)... and obviously started my zoo rants right away. Rolling Eyes
ImageImage

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:17 pm

Very Happy
Writing as TrekPyro.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:07 pm

Reading. Reading. I have to catch up on my reading. Just last week I bought my daughter six 300+ paged books. She's finished them already! Shock Talk about a bookworm. Yikes.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:14 pm

Sounds like me when I was a kid. Smile I got in trouble for finishing the whole reader on the first day of first grade.
Does she like fantasy? I'm reading Un Lun Dun by China Mieville. Really good.

Banner by JadziaKathryn

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:43 pm

Heh reminds me how the teachers always got like totally pissed at me every beginning of school year, because I'd finish all my workbooks and stuff before school even started Laughing they'd always be like "you can't do this, you have to wait until we teach you how to do this stuff because you don't know it yet and you don't understand" etc etc, but hell I did know what I was doing and I did understand, dude what do they think I'm like a dumb little kid. Like seriously what just because I'm like 5 or 6 or 7 or whatever does it mean I don't have a capability of understanding stuff they're gonna teach me anyway, like I'm expected to understand it when time comes for them to teach me that, right so what the frell is the difference. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Confused Confused Confused Confused

Well though sometimes I really didn't know what I was doing, but that's not like book related actually, when I was like 6 we had like math computer sessions like twice a week, like every kid would get math questions on the computer according to their level and advance etc. And like somehow at one point I started to get like 7th-8th grade math stuff. Like equations etc. And obviously I've never been taught that stuff I was 6, I didn't even know what it was called etc so I just pretty much taught myself that by trial and error Confused Confused Confused

And I think the math computers hated me, like every time someone advanced in their math they'd get cool stuff like "congratulations, you've advanced" etc on the screen in the end of their session, and I've never got it ONCE!! Crying or Very sad
ImageImage

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:24 pm

I wish I'd had a computer to teach me math. None of the human teachers ever managed to. Confused

Banner by JadziaKathryn

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:34 pm

The American public school system has nothing to do with education. They are public indoctrination centers. Nothing more.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:38 pm

Ah... computers teaching math.

We had real people teaching us math, not computers, when I was in school. Most any of the old Apple IIe computers the school had did (and it was more for review than anything else) was play these sort of asteroid blasting games, where you had to solve all the problems within a certain amount of time on the screen, and that didn't come along til I was in 9th grade or so (round about 1984-85). At least in our school system.

I remember the other three library aides and myself (after we put away the one cart or so of books that was usually there during our period, which was also the lunch period so we had a class in there maybe once a week at most), if we weren't doing our homework for other classes, would sit there and play this silly game and see how far we could get... I think it only went up to maybe 12x12 on the multiplication tables, so it wasn't exactly difficult stuff. Why we had that on a junior high school library computer is beyond me, but it kept the four of us entertained for about a quarter or so...
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:47 pm

Heh we had people teaching us math too... the computers were just like a practice session thing Laughing well but I guess for me it was kinda in part being taught by the computer because most of the math questions it gave me was stuff we didn't learn in class yet, like all that 7th-8th grade math when I was like 6, like obviously we weren't taught anything beyond what's supposed to be 2nd grade material. So yeah it was like partially being taught by the computer (and by myself) Confused Confused
ImageImage

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:30 pm

I got me 2 auditions tomorrow. Which means I'm gonna spend the whole day in super-expensive buses. Gah. Confused
ImageImage

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:50 pm

blackn'blue wrote:The American public school system has nothing to do with education. They are public indoctrination centers. Nothing more.

In my experiance they're more llike an excuse to have sports teams. Rolling Eyes

Actually I had a pretty good school. I learned a lot in math, science, and history, and I had really good teachers. I actually have to thank my 12th grade English teacher for a lot too, because she really pushed me and it showed me what I could be capable of despite having a severe spelling and grammar handicap. Wink

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:55 pm

You got lucky. My wife and I had to educate our children ourselves. We sent them to public school. But all of the real education that they got, they received at home from us.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:05 pm

I came from a small town. I'm actually convinced that small town schools can provide better educations than those in larger towns or cities.

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:24 am

Confused Not in my case CX. Confused
I went to a HS that pooled all the students into it from 3 local towns, all about 5 to 6 miles from the school its self. I lived at the outer limits, bout 11 miles from my school.

An while Yeah we were slightly better off then those in the inner cities, or Suburbia (AKA HELL on EARTH.) The education system, was an still is nothing more then a Joke.

But anywhos. In my experance, there any teacher that hadnt been Grandfathered into their Job at the school yet (which was 75% of them), almost always tried to teach [cough] Brainwash [/cough] Everyone that attended the school to "Go To College. Get a degree, an Make Money." What a person Wanted to do with their life, didnt matter to them. Seriously I got dirty looks from far to many of them for actualy not wanting to go the Higher Education route. Confused An called stupid, idiot, an so on for wanting to be a Farmer.

Confused Their thankfully were still a few left there when I graduated, that were educators that actualy wanted to help students Reach their Goals. An not more worried with sendin off some sort of student qouta to the local college every year. Rolling Eyes

So Im probably gona be purchasing another machine for the farm with in the next week. Confused A tractor of all things. Ok The farm will be makin the purchase not me. Cool
Any whos our 4 wheel drive loader tractor is on its last legs, so we've decided to trade up now before the old critter leaves us hanging this fal or winter. So Ive been lookin over a couple options.

Confused Now if I could only get about a 100lb gold nugget to appear out in the middle of my hay field. Laughing
TnT I love em. Very Happy

Return to “General Chat”