Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Randomness

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:41 pm

^ A (well known) TnT fic writer just recently signed up within the past month and she confided in me that she hasn't posted yet because the overall tone of the board feels *frantic* (her word, not mine). Confused
Writing as TrekPyro.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:12 pm

Hmmmm...frantic. I found it very dour at first. There's been more humor lately, though. Smile
Last edited by evcake on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:13 pm

I know which person you're talking about, Coffee Cat. Not sure what they mean by 'frantic,' however.

And no, this isn't a 'hate Archer' board, and yes, I know you were joking with that statement. But to reiterate, it's board dedicated (for the most part) to Trip and T'Pol. Surely you guys can discuss the positive (or if you want, the negative) aspects of the characters on the show without having to resort to a bash-fest?

All of us have different levels of like and dislike for the various characters on the show. I certainly doubt that most of the guys here have quite the same level of devotion to Trip, for example, that some of the ladies do, or vice versa for the ladies with regards to T'Pol, even if we do agree that we like them as a couple or friends or just their working relationship. And I'm sure that we can all think of times when we wanted to throw up our hands and strangle one or the other of them during the course of the show or wonder why on Earth they did such an idiotic thing, just the same as we did at times with Archer, for example.
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:32 pm

Not sure what they mean by 'frantic,' however.
Short turn-around, posting fast and furious? Very Happy

Banner by JadziaKathryn

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:53 pm

Trying to upload my pictures off my camera to photobucket SO I can post my Cherry Hill Pictures.

*Sigh* It's taking forever.
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:14 pm

^
Just how many pics do you have? Very Happy Seen any absolutely lovely shots of Connor yet that you have to share with the rest of us? (I hope...) Wink
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:17 pm

^
Heh WELL I had shots on there from Florida as well as Shoreleave.

Unfortunately.....Most of the ones I got of Conner are either blurry or grainy.

Confused

I'm hoping at I have least a few good ones there though.

*edit* Damn it!

Photobucket logged me out.....now I freaking have to start over!

Bitch Censored! Banghead
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:34 pm

^
Well, here's one from last year's Vulkon to cheer you up, just in case...

He was sitting directly in front of me, 'cause they moved his autograph table from one end of the room to the other so people wouldn't be standing on top of each other waiting to get his autograph and Linda's as well.

And one from Shore Leave last year...

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:41 pm

Jedikatie wrote:Not sure what they mean by 'frantic,' however.

I think she was trying to be diplomatic.

Jedikatie wrote:Surely you guys can discuss the positive (or if you want, the negative) aspects of the characters on the show without having to resort to a bash-fest?

I think part of the problem is that there's grey area between bashing and discussing negative traits and it has yet to be clearly defined. Yah, I can see how coming out of no where and saying that he's a "frakker" could be considered bashing, but what if you're doing a character analysis and you keep on finding traits you don't like in said character and then conclude that 1) you don't like him and 2) a person like you would call him a "frakker" and so would a whole bunch of other people you know.

I've been trying (though not succeeding) to avoid the topic of Captain Archer just for that reason.

Also, (this question has been on my mind for some time now) would it be so painful to everyone if I were to express my dislike for said character in fan fiction and parody?

I mean, I saw how everyone reacted to the Fat!Riker(tm) spoof and I'm beginning to wonder if there's actually a writing style war going on here or something. I took it in stride and stopped writing, moved on to bigger and better things, yada yada...

But it was a parody and not meant to be taken so seriously...

___

Nice pics BTW, although, I prefer CT without the bangs - his face just looks too round with 'em.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:41 pm

I'll just want to clarify were I stand on political topics and "character bashing" and then (hopefully) move on.

I have no real desire to take part in talking about political hot topic issues online. The only way I do is when some issue has been raised in an episode that we're talking about or that I'm reviewing, and then I can consider it on topic. Otherwise I try and stay away. Political discussions runs the risk of allowing bad blood between people who otherwise would be friends.

As for "character bashing", I don't know how extensive or tolerant this odd rule is. I'm not into needlessly "bashing" characters post after post after post. But if I don't like a character or what that said character did then I hope I can be free to say so without running the risk of being tossed of the board. Confused

There is such a thing as common sense...
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:15 pm

I think there's a difference, KTR, between saying, "I don't like the actions of this character in this episode because of X, Y, and Z. I think he was written like an incompetent boob," and a blanket statement of "I hate this asshole. He's the worst character ever because...well... just because I hate him and he's an asshole." The first example is a pertinent discussion of poor characterization by the writers. The second is character bashing.

Sometimes the difference is in how much effort the person puts into analyzing the reasons for their dislike of the character or the character's actions, and that depends on both their maturity level and their analytical skills. Not everyone is capable of the type of detailed character and plot analyses that you do so skillfully, but my view is that if someone posts a negative comment they should at least attempt to explain the reasoning behind it. These characters aren't real people (obviously). A script was written and the actors interpreted that script. We should therefore be able to offer objective critiques of both the writing and the actors' performances without getting overly emotional about it. Unfortunately, some people take all of this MUCH too seriously and start ranting about how much they "hate" a character. How can you "hate" a character? They don't exist. You might dislike the script or the way the actor has portrayed it, but people that take the issue personally and get emotionally overinvested in a character are not behaving rationally, IMO. In the words of William Shatner, they need to "Get a life!" Cool
Image sig by chrisis1033

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:23 pm

I'll admit that part of it is just self control on my part. A ban on political discussion that's enforced would be nice, but all it would really take is no one partocipating for such a thread to die. But it also might help if political debates didn't get started from off-hand remarks meant to be jokes. I mean, the whole gun control thing started because I posted a joke - "guns are cool." It wasn't serious, and it certainly wasn't made to spark a debate, but one happened anyway.

As fr as "bashing" goes, I wonder if some aren't a bit too sensative on that. What I might consider stating the reasons why I don't like Archer or any other character, or an episode, or whatever, someone is going to consider bashing because they disagree to that point. Frankly it kinda bums me out that I can't discuss ENT on a board that is dedicated to two of its characters and arguably the series as a whole as such.

I think there's a difference, KTR, between saying, "I don't like the actions of this character in this episode because of X, Y, and Z. I think he was written like an incompetent boob," and a blanket statement of "I hate this asshole. He's the worst character ever because...well... just because I hate him and he's an asshole." The first example is a pertinent discussion of poor characterization by the writers. The second is character bashing.

I haven't seen anyone do the latter. I certainly haven't and that's what I get accused of.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:26 pm

Speaking of total randomness and totally unrelated to the current topic of discussion here, but...what's the price of a gallon of unleaded gas where you live? I noticed in New Jersey that it was around $2.75. Here in this part of New York, it's about 30 cents more. It's $3.09 in the store I work in. Strange. Confused

Do I have to find the group hug icon again? Not that that always works, but it's worth a shot.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:29 pm

Are you still thinking about that appreciation thread, Bether? Smile

Banner by JadziaKathryn

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:30 pm

Here around Baltimore its $2.85.

Return to “General Chat”