Randomness

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Re: Randomness

Postby Kotik » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:16 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Heh! I just spotted a lonely plane between Norway and Iceland with the registry RA-64010. I quick google reveals it's a privately owned Russian Tupolev. Aha! An Oligarch, I thought! A little more online digging told me it's probably used by Russian Minister of Finance Alexei Kudrin.

Now I almost feel like a spy! 8)

Hold it there, Mr. Bond :lol:

RA-64010 is a Business Aero (operated by Orel Avia) Tupolev-204-300A, which is quite a modern plane actually. However, no Oligarch with a shred of dignity would let himself be seen in a Tupolev, even if it is a rather modern one (built in 1993, later delivered to Aeroflot Cargo). They mostly fly Dassault's and Learjets with the occasional BBJ thrown into the mix :D RA-64010 is an 18 seat VIP configuration and Alexei Kudrin might have used it once or twice for private purposes, but if he's travelling in his capacity as minister of finance, he'll be sitting in a GTK Rossiya Plane.

Ok, now I don't feel like a spy, but like a complete Anorak. :lol:

putaro
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby putaro » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:18 am

Kotik wrote:Ok, now I don't feel like a spy, but like a complete Anorak. :lol:

Planespotting now? (BTW, I *like* my fluorescent lime green anorak, thank you very much)

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:27 am

putaro wrote: (BTW, I *like* my fluorescent lime green anorak, thank you very much)

Well, it's not like you would stand out wearing that in Japan :lol: When I was in Tokyo, I felt like being caught in a Strobe light, during an LSD Trip. :spiraleyes:

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:56 pm

Kotik wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Heh! I just spotted a lonely plane between Norway and Iceland with the registry RA-64010. I quick google reveals it's a privately owned Russian Tupolev. Aha! An Oligarch, I thought! A little more online digging told me it's probably used by Russian Minister of Finance Alexei Kudrin.

RA-64010 is a Business Aero (operated by Orel Avia) Tupolev-204-300A, which is quite a modern plane actually. However, no Oligarch with a shred of dignity would let himself be seen in a Tupolev, even if it is a rather modern one (built in 1993, later delivered to Aeroflot Cargo). They mostly fly Dassault's and Learjets with the occasional BBJ thrown into the mix :D RA-64010 is an 18 seat VIP configuration and Alexei Kudrin might have used it once or twice for private purposes, but if he's travelling in his capacity as minister of finance, he'll be sitting in a GTK Rossiya Plane.

Hey, I stumbled upon an article in a Russian paper (can't remember which one and I didn't bookmark it) that tracked down the uses of airplanes by various VIPs, and this Business Aero was leased to some bank of something where Kudrin is some kind of oversight chairman. It had often been used for purposes other than banking affairs, apparently by Kudrin. The paper was surprised that he didn't use a government plane that often.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:05 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
Kotik wrote:

Hey, I stumbled upon an article in a Russian paper (can't remember which one and I didn't bookmark it) that tracked down the uses of airplanes by various VIPs, and this Business Aero was leased to some bank of something where Kudrin is some kind of oversight chairman. It had often been used for purposes other than banking affairs, apparently by Kudrin. The paper was surprised that he didn't use a government plane that often.

RA-64010 is seen quite often in Europeland, bringing VIP's to various Championsleague matches. Guess Mr. Kudrin is a bit of a football nut :mrgreen: BTW, Kudrin is a board member of Sperbank - just add an m and have a giggle :lol:

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:38 pm

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:16 am

This picture perfectly explains the weather up here.

And yes, this is from the same week.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Didn't snow yet here, but in the last day or so we went from beautiful colors in the trees to wet messy leaves on the lawn.....
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:26 pm

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:33 am

KTR,

I have been so out of the loop regarding space technology since early days of shuttle program. Do we even know how to create artificial gravity?

As I understand it, human bones disappear the longer the astronauts are in space.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:11 am

I don't think we have any means to create artificial gravity. You're right dialee, long stays in space have an adverse effect on muscles and bones, but that can be countered to a degree with a rigorous physical training.

Stays of one year and longer on a space station are not exactly new. The Russians did that 20 years ago on the Mir space station. Valeriy Polyakov, Sergei Avdeyev, Vladimir Titov and Musa Manarov are the four Kosmonauts who stayed one year or longer in space with Polyakov being the record holder with over 430 days.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:22 pm

Not sure, but I once read tat artificial Gravity could be crated by a slow spin of the ship. How that would be done I am not sure.

Once saw a design for a Space station that was round with an inner and outer ring. Bot spun at different speeds crating a gravity. that may, however, been Sci fi.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:30 pm

I have to correct my earlier statement. We do in fact have means to create artificial gravity. Rotation is one option, linear acceleration being another with diamagnetism a third option.

The russians have apparently experimented with rats being exposed to 1g of artificial gravity on biostaellite missions.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:57 pm

Yeah, spinning around is the answer. I firmly believe that for humans to have extended periods in space we need to have habitats (space stations, space ships) that will have the ability to rotate.

It's not that difficult really. You don't need to build a huge ring à la 2001: A Space Odyssey (although that'd be nice). You can just have a smaller cabin put on a tether with some small attitude rockets on the other end. Fire them up to create spin is no more difficult than flipping a shuttle over in space.

If you go to Mars you can change the rotation to adjust the astronauts to Martian gravity en route, and vice versa on the return.

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:20 am

Any ideas on how you move around and do stuff when one is glued to the walls of the ship or station due to centrifugal force?

Return to “General Chat”