Show On Map: No

Re: Randomness

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu May 10, 2012 6:51 pm

She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu May 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Distracted wrote:Should I split this topic into an "Incomprehensible IT Techspeak" thread? Because I sure don't understand a word of it! :-p

That's what is known as a nerd ribbing :lol:

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Thu May 10, 2012 8:52 pm

Specialized nerd ribbing. I'm with Distracted although let's not split this thread. Its kinda interesting for me. And no i haven't got a clue about what they're babbling about.
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Thu May 10, 2012 9:05 pm

It's the nerd equivalent of "cardboard box in't middle o't road". (Do you foreign types get that type of thing?)

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu May 10, 2012 11:40 pm

I get the Yorkshiremen, not the geeks. (My cousin Scott and my dad get together and do a similar routine about the awful conditions of their war-time childhood in Scotland -- mind you, from two boys who attended private schools.)

I keep wondering about Kotik's remark
I'm too bloody tired to mock the vertically challenged hippo
. Just what WOULD you have done if you weren't so tired, Kotik? Are fat ladies in public not safe from you?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri May 11, 2012 1:07 am

Alelou wrote:I get the Yorkshiremen, not the geeks. (My cousin Scott and my dad get together and do a similar routine about the awful conditions of their war-time childhood in Scotland -- mind you, from two boys who attended private schools.)

I keep wondering about Kotik's remark
I'm too bloody tired to mock the vertically challenged hippo
. Just what WOULD you have done if you weren't so tired, Kotik? Are fat ladies in public not safe from you?

Nobody is safe from Kotik. His chief weapon is surprise ... surprise and fear ... fear and surprise.
(With apologies once again to Monty Python).

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Fri May 11, 2012 3:05 am

Not the Comfy Chair!

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri May 11, 2012 6:34 am

Alelou wrote:Just what WOULD you have done if you weren't so tired, Kotik? Are fat ladies in public not safe from you?

:tears: :tears: :tears:
Looks like I've won a waching machine :lol: :lol:

Letting you in on a secret. Two things in that post did not happen. The first one is me giggling over a weird town's name and the second one is thinking about mocking the enormous woman. I didn't expect anyone to say anything about the first one, since we don't have any militant, man-hating feminists in here. I DID expect someone to object to the second one. I did expect you to be that person, although, truth to be told, Aquarius would have beaten you to the punch, were she still active. :lol:

And just so you understand why I wouldn't really do that. I'm a hippo myself. If I lie down on my stomach, children can use me as a rocking horse. I would have looked like a complete berk, had I mocked a fellow oversized person.

Thanks for the giggle, though :clap:

Cogito wrote:It's the nerd equivalent of "cardboard box in't middle o't road". (Do you foreign types get that type of thing?)

Most people should get it. In Germany it goes like this:

(some older person, for instance parent, complains to a youth that they didn't have it that easy, when they were young, but still managed to be happier than the youth)

youth responds: "Yeah, yeah, I know. You had to walk 40 kilometres to school, with a 1-ton backpack, on bare feet, in the snow, uphill in both directions." :evillol:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri May 11, 2012 11:23 am

So either the first post was trolling with a finely crafted lie designed to trip up people who object to other people crowing about being assholes, or the second is an attempt to save face ... by being an asshole.

Just saying.

Glad you got the job.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri May 11, 2012 11:59 am

Alelou wrote:So either the first post was trolling with a finely crafted lie designed to trip up people who object to other people crowing about being assholes, or the second is an attempt to save face ... by being an asshole.

Just saying.

Glad you got the job.

Did you ever hear of the concept of humour? :roll: Seriously, if you take offense in something like that, I can't help the feeling that you were actually looking for something to get upset about. I did expect you to cry foul for a reason. What the hell did you expect? That I really mock other people in a crowded train for a predicament that I actually find myself in? Really :roll:

I respect you as one of the best writers out there, Alelou, but when it comes to overblown ridiculous political corectness, you're just as bad as Aquarius, Little hint: Never watch Monty Python or Fawlty Towers. Those would kill you with its political incorrectness.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri May 11, 2012 12:42 pm

Kotik, I suppose it's possible that we just don't get your sense of humor, but you really need to consider the emotional impact of your words. Although I'm happy that you seem to have no self esteem issues related to your self-professed obesity (men often do not, for reasons that I won't go into) the subject is still an emotionally charged one for many of us. I have never personally struggled with weight issues, but even I found your words very offensive.

That being said, I'd like to point out that deliberately saying something offensive for the express purpose of getting a rise out of someone is the definition of trolling, and trolling is expressly forbidden on this site. I'm going to assume this time that because you personally would have no problem with being called a "vertically challenged hippo" that you had no idea that your words would offend anyone, but now that you are aware of the issue I would thank you not to do it again. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri May 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Kotik, I love your posts. You have a wonderful sense of humor.

As usual I am fighting my morning battle with my server. It is local and doesn't have enough equipment. So, in the morning everyone is checking e-mail answering said e-mail firing up for the day etc. so one only gets a minute ad then bang cut off.Have ot wait for a minute and then one can again use the internet. On occasion there is an overload and one gets shut down. Have to restart and log in agai everywehre. User name and passworld. Pain in the butt

SB
Last edited by Silverbullet on Fri May 11, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri May 11, 2012 1:03 pm

I understand what you're trying to say, Distracted, but I'm starting to wonder, why people laugh about comedians like George Carlin or Dave Chapelle. Chapelle is black and calls other blacks Niggers and people laugh.
I wrote a post describing a rather crazy day in my life and added a few humorous bits to avoid making it sound like whining. Those bits were easily identifiable as comical remarks. I will try to keep any posts in the future Vulcan - neutral, extremely politically correct and free of any attempts at humour. And just to make sure you understand correctly. I didn't write that to get a rise out of Alelou. I just wrote what came to my mind. After writing it, I realized she'd be the one to start complaining, but I didn't edit it out, because I didn't think that someone would really take offense in something that was so obviously not meant to be taken seriously.

And just so you understand why I was in a not very charitable mood towards the enormous woman, even though I'm fat with a capital F myself. During that train ride - and I'm not making that up - she devoured three! Big Macs. Try to do that yourself. It was evident that her unusual proportions were self-inflicted, while my oversize is the result of months of medication with Mirtazapine (probably the reason, why I'm rather even-keeled about my dimensions - I know they are a nasty side-effect of medication).
I still wouldn't have mocked her publically, but I have very little compassion for people, who eat half a horse for lunch and then complain about their weight. Add to that the crankiness that comes as a result of a 22 hours day and my thoughts weren't very charitable. I will abstain from writing them down in the future. :roll:

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Fri May 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Is it too late to fear pointy sticks?
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri May 11, 2012 1:23 pm