Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian
Show On Map: No

Re: Randomness

Postby enterprikayak » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:25 am

eK wrote:Hey, big crazy notes like that are what actually prevent you from getting the wrong meds. The little "allergy" field on the chart is just not big enough or noticeable enough.

SOOOooooooo many times when I worked for this one doctor, he'd be writing out a prescription for Pen V, and I'd pull the Rx pad right out from under his pen and peel the page off and scrunch the Rx up and give the blank pad back and silently tap the "penicillin allergy" note on the chart and he'd just start writing a script for erythromycin without missing a beat. You're welcome...."doctor".

The patient was always sitting right there and I couldn't be like, "HEY! DOCtor! You're prescribing the WRONG MEDICINE."

WG wrote:Oh yes! I've interrupted them writing my own scripts dozens of times. It's scary. But understandable.

I always am glad for patients like you. You HAVE to be responsible for your own Rx's, as dr's are only human and make mistakes (and so do pharmacies!)

At that particular place I worked he managed to actually pescribe penicillin to a couple of allergic people while I worked there and they TOOK it. Like, look at the bottle before you ingest stuff much?
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:32 am

I never understood people who don't pay attention to what their drs do. Then again I'm a pro it's all I've ever known. Still, it's your body pay attention people!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:39 am

:lol: totally

I had to give this guy his new denture...a funny little one just for the two lwr front teeth. Boss is out of town, it was ready and should have just popped right in. Stick it in and it's sitting there all crooked like a piece of ill-fitting lego. I had to grind it and grind it on the lathe to get it to fit into his mouth. He's looking at me all trustingly the whole time, and I'm thinking, "If this thing goes in, you're a lucky dude." It did finally (cause I'm awesome), and he went off all happy.

But do not assume that just cause someone is wearing scrubs they have any idea what they are doing. Next time you end up in a medical office it could be ME walking thru the door! :shock: :lol:
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:46 am

Are you kidding? I don't trust the entire team that looks after my many problems. I've saved my sorry life more than once. "Yo don't keep me on the depacot if I'm blinded by lights and throwing up everything in my tummy, obviously the "migraine med" is making it worse!"

I get that Docs are human, that's awesome! When they forget that fact, not-so-much.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:49 pm

:popcorn:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Back when I was in college one of my professors needed surgery on his right lung (can't remember why). The doctor in pre-op was examining his x-ray by holding it up to the light, while talking to him (very soothingly) about how quick and easy his recovery would be.
"You might have a little difficulty using your left arm for a day or two after the surgery," doctor says.
"Why would I have difficulty with my left arm if you're operating on my right side?" professor asks.
Doctor flips over x-ray. "You might have a little difficulty using your right arm for a day or two after the surgery," doctor says.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:50 pm

Great story Transwarp, there are so many anecdotal stories of this sort of mixup but it's very interesting to see that it really does happen.

This remind me of an episode in the medical drama "House", where the lead character (a very cynical doctor) wrote instructions on himself in permanent marker before going into surgery. Evidently he didn't trust his surgeon to get it right where his life and limbs were concerned. I wonder how many doctors and surgeons do that in real life.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:16 pm

As much as I hate "Dr. Greg House" I can vouch from personal experience that it happens more often than you might think.

Dis :rotflmao: You've probably seen most of this, how are you entertained?

Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:27 pm

she's just watching us bash her profession. :lol:

Xray flipping happens ALL THE TIME in the dentist office. The way we tell it is the right way up is a little bump or dot on the film itself, but that is hardly an ironclad system. :roll: At least the digital ones don't have that problem...they stay stuck on the comp screen and there's no flipping.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:24 am

this is so random it needs a random³ thread.

So, today, Aureilia (age 5) sat in front of photoshop on the computer and chose this font, all on her own, and wrote out this weird text.

And then she drew this picture around the creepy text using freeform paintbrush and star-shaped stamps.

Clearly it is in the DNA somehow, as she has never even seen star trek once. She knows I like it etc, but that’s all.

<insert very creepy music here> :^O

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:24 am

Doo-dee-doo-doo-doo-dee-doo-doo.... :wtf:
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:51 am

You have a genius on your hands! :shock:

Okay Seriously going off of the "frivolous lawsuits" thing from the laugh thread, I gotta say not only does this take the cake, but it's irritating that people can be so... I don't even have a word for it. http://bites.today.com/_news/2011/02/24 ... ?gt1=43001

Fics

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:12 pm

I keep finding this stuff and I'm not even trying! http://movies.msn.com/paralleluniverse/ ... photoidx=3

Fics

Entilzha
Captain
Captain

Postby Entilzha » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:06 am

World Travel "little walk" or walking the western border of the EU's eastern border. http://worldtraveler.planet.ee/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1. One Estonian decided to go for a little walk from Estonia to Portugal and as of 23 Feb 2011 has passed 4820 kilometers.
You live for The One, you die for The One.

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:34 am

I was in the background of TWO scenes in tonight's episode of "The Chicago Code!" :clap: I was an "evacuee" and a "banquet guest.
No close ups, but you could see me. The show has been edited way out of sequence from filming, so I have no idea what episodes I'll be in.

Return to “General Chat”