Randomness

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

blacknblue
Site Admin

Re: Randomness

Postby blacknblue » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:06 am

If you poetic types want to write poetry, how come you never write anything along the lines of ballads? Like Dick Turpin's Ride style poetry? Or some of the other story type poetry. You know, tell a fan fic in verse form?

Take that as a challenge if you wish.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:07 am

What the frell is the deal with BitComet?? Confused Confused So like I've been trying to download the first 4 BSG season 3 episodes (because I don't have enough space for the whole 20 at the same time) since like forever, and it was already like over halfway through with BitTorrent, and not only does the frelling download take like forever and ever and EVER (even longer than it would have taken to finish downloading the whole 20 if only I had space for them Confused ) and that's with an average download rate of like 20 something, for days and the frelling thing just doesn't move!!! Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Plus for some reason it deleted like 18 out of the 42 files in the whole season package, that again was OVER HALFWAY THROUGH like what the frell did those poor files do they didn't bother anyone!!!! Mad Mad AND on top of everything like after hours and frelling DAYS that I've been waiting and waiting on that frelling download that only had like 200mb left to finish, episode 2 was done then after a while and a while and a while more none of the others move, the frelling thing gets stuck at 97.something% so I upped the priority on episode 1, then THE FRELLING DOWNLOAD JUMPS DOWN FROM 97.SOMETHING% BACK TO LIKE 95%, AND THE EPISODE THAT ALREADY FINISHED JUMPS FROM 100% DOWN TO SOME FRELLING 94% WHAT THE FRELL LIKE WHAT KINDA FRELLED-UP PIECE OF DOWNLOAD MANAGER IS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE AND WHERE THE FRELL ARE ALL MY PRECIOUS MB'S I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR LIKE HOURS AND HOURS AND FRELLING DAYS TO FRELLING FINISH ALREADY, AND THE FRELLING BITCOMET EATS THEM AFTER I'VE HAD THEM ALREADY!!!!!!!! Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ImageImage

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:22 am

Just realized that since changing the priority and the % dropping back to like 95% it's been like over 2 hours during which I'VE BEEN KEEPING DOWNLOADING AND DOWNLOADING AND DOWNLOADING AT A RATE BETWEEN LIKE 20-60 SOMETHING, WITH AN "ESTIMATED TIME LEFT" OF LIKE 10 MINUTES OR LESS YEAH RIGHT, Rolling Eyes AND FRELLING GUESS WHAT IT'S STILL ON THAT SAME FRELLING 95%, WITH THOSE SAME 5 PIECES MISSING STILL "DOWNLOADING" OR WHATEVER THE FRELL IT THINKS IT'S DOING, LIKE WHAT IT DOWNLOADS A FRELLING PIECE STOPS IN THE MIDDLE THEN STARTS ALL OVER AGAIN?? AND THE FRELLING SUMMARY SAYS THAT ALL TOGETHER ON THIS DOWNLOAD (OF 4 EPISODES I HAD LIKE 200 MB LEFT TO DOWNLOAD) I DOWNLOADED LIKE OVER 1GB, WHERE THE FRELL IS ALL THAT STUFF I DOWNLOADED IF IT'S OVER 1GB, I HAD 200MB TO DOWNLOAD AND THAT'S NOT EVEN FRELLING DONE, LOOKS LIKE IT DOWNLOADS AND DELETES SINCE IT DOESN'T EVEN TAKE ANY FRELLING DISK SPACE!!!!!!! WHAT THE FRELL!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad
ImageImage

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:59 am

evcake wrote:Maybe an epic on the Romulan War - in Homeric verse... Very Happy Iambic pentameter...as if it were being recited on a generational starship headed for Andromeda...hmmm...maybe Rigil would let us base it on his stories, and each poet could take a chapter...

That would be ... interesting...

"Sing, O goddess, the anger of Tucker son of Charles, that brought countless ills upon the Humans. Many a brave soul did it send hurrying down to Hell, and many a hero did it yield a prey to Romulans and Klingons, for so were the counsels of T'Pol fulfilled from the day on which the son of Archer, leader of men, and great Tucker, first fell out with one another. "

Laughing
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:20 am

And we already have material for a Catalogue of Ships, as I recall. Very Happy
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:24 am

Whoa. Like... totally deep and poetic, man.

blackn'blue wrote:If you poetic types want to write poetry, how come you never write anything along the lines of ballads? Like Dick Turpin's Ride style poetry? Or some of the other story type poetry. You know, tell a fan fic in verse form?

I wrote a ballad once. It's not exactly an epic, though.

Enterprise

At the station, in the spacedock,
Trim and lovely to his eyes,
Sat a ship he’d always dreamed of,
And they called her Enterprise.

Oh, my darlin’, oh my darlin’,
Oh my darlin’ Enterprise,
I’m a fool, and now I’ve lost you.
Dreadful sorry, Enterprise.

How he loved her, never left the
Purr of engines, day or night,
‘Til a certain subcommander,
Turned his head… at first, to fight.

Soon the fightin’ turned to teasin’,
And the engineer was caught,
Lost his senses in the moment,
Did some things he shouldn’t ought.

She was lovely, was that Vulcan,
Raised lovemakin’ to an art,
But she spurned him in the mornin’
And she broke his gentle heart.

Though he tried to stay aboard her,
His first love who told no lies,
He was forced by pain to leave her,
His beloved Enterprise.

Image sig by chrisis1033

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:25 am

Distracted wrote:Whoa. Like... totally deep and poetic, man.

All the credit goes to Homer ... I just changed some names. Laughing
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:51 am

blackn'blue wrote:If you poetic types want to write poetry, how come you never write anything along the lines of ballads? Like Dick Turpin's Ride style poetry? Or some of the other story type poetry. You know, tell a fan fic in verse form?

Dick Turpin's Ride - Alfred Noyes. Well, that's umpty-leven rhyming couplets. Hmmm...
Ballads are so sad, usually. Love and death, with a side of derring-do.

Banner by JadziaKathryn

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:26 am

Oh, Distracted, you had to post that here, didn't you? When I read it the first time I found myself singing it a week and a half later!!!

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:30 am

You think that's bad?? I only managed to get the frelling "Breathe" out of my head by writing my KvP musical Confused and it'd been stuck in my head for like way longer than your tiny week and a half. And it might still return after the KvP songs get unstuck Confused Confused Confused
ImageImage

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:30 am

I wasn't talking about a filk. Very Happy

I meant something along the lines of Kipling. Like the Ballad of East and West. You know, a real poem, not a plaintive bleating about love lorn heartbreak. I mean a REAL poem, the way poetry was originally meant to be - a historic account of heroes and battles and adventures.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:50 am

That is certainly true of epic poetry. Ballads are a form of narrative poetry, with looser constraints. More "human interest." I see what you're getting at though.

Kipling wrote love poetry, too.

I like Kipling, but my favorite is Puck of Pook's Hill. Very Happy

Banner by JadziaKathryn

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:54 am

Okay so a few minutes ago after hours of waiting and waiting and waiting for the frelling BitComet download to move from the 97.something% it's been actively downloading yet stuck on since like yesterday I shut the damn thing off and went back to my slower BitTorrent which may not have the option to pick which files to download first (I'm gonna have to find where I put my empty CDs and burn some SG1 to free enough space Confused ) but at least it moved like 0.9% since I started it. So the hell with BitComet Mad
ImageImage

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:27 am

blackn'blue wrote:You know, a real poem, not a plaintive bleating about love lorn heartbreak.

Shock

Well, I'm guessing that would leave me out. Laughing

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:28 pm

Ah. So BnB wants a manly poem about epic battles and shit. Hmmm.

Nope. Fresh out of epic battles. Guess you guys'll just have to write one yourselves. Do Rigil's Elysium as a Homeric epic, BnB. I dare ya. Cool
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “General Chat”