The Whine thread.

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: The Whine thread.

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:04 am

Well, I've got a whine: I could really use a glass of wine and have none!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Distracted » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:09 am

A whine about wine. How homophonic of you. :D
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:15 am

Thought you'd like it.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:25 pm

I spent 5 1/2 hours in the ER Thursday night with my dad. Surrounded by cases of probable H1N1...He fell last weekend and has been experiencing more weakness in his right side recently. He had a stroke 15 years ago. We were told that one artery is 100% blocked and the other is 60-70% blocked, but we pretty much decided that surgery is way too risky at this point. The last time he had surgery for this he had the stroke so he's a bit turned off of it. We left the hospital against medical advice. hopefully we're doing the right thing. The stairs here at home have become worrisome.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:30 pm

I hope everything turns out OK. :(

Fics

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:14 pm

You usually don't know what decision is best, Bether, so just doing what you think is best is enough. Hope everything goes all right.

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:56 pm

Bether6074 wrote:I spent 5 1/2 hours in the ER Thursday night with my dad. Surrounded by cases of probable H1N1...He fell last weekend and has been experiencing more weakness in his right side recently. He had a stroke 15 years ago. We were told that one artery is 100% blocked and the other is 60-70% blocked, but we pretty much decided that surgery is way too risky at this point. The last time he had surgery for this he had the stroke so he's a bit turned off of it. We left the hospital against medical advice. hopefully we're doing the right thing. The stairs here at home have become worrisome.

Yikes, Bether. Is he staying with you while he's ill?

Surgical techniques may have improved quite a bit in 15 years, you know. Did they at least give him some medication? Can he follow up with his own doctor?

Re T'PopTarts -- I have nothing to add to Distracted's response up there, except to say that I'm one of those people who's stopped bothering to respond (or even, frankly, to read past the first "frelling" or "dren"). I hope the venting somehow makes you feel better, and I suppose that's what this thread is for, but alarming people with talk of suicide is taking it way too far. If that's truly a concern of yours, please talk to the local suicide hotline or to someone who has the ability to call the police to go get you.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:07 pm

I have to confess that I missed all of T'Poptarts messages as well. What happens is that after a while folks just tune it out. What you project is very often what you end up receiving. You become unapproachable. If you want to make a serious change in your life, T'Poptarts, you have to take the first step in being proactive about it. It takes a lot of courage and it can be very scary, but your inner strength might just surprise you. Proactive rather than reactive. Try to gain some control back in your life instead of allowing circumstances to control you. Put some power back in your hands. Once you make the choice to try and help yourself, you will likely find others who will take your hand and offer you support along the way.

And, no, Alelou. My father left here a few hours ago. He's very difficult to keep down...

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:49 pm

My dad's the same way. Sometimes frustratingly so. And of course no doctor (or daughter) can force a man to have surgery when he doesn't want it, but it doesn't sound like his brain is getting too much blood flow. Are you certain he's competent to make such a potentially life-threatening decision? Surgery might kill him or cause another stroke, sure... but it also may prevent him from having another stroke. Another stroke might kill him as well, or he may end up helpless in bed with a diaper on. If he's anything like my dad he'd likely prefer death to that alternative. If my dad was in a similar situation I'd at least have a clear discussion with him at this point regarding his preferences for resuscitation and heroic measures.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:19 pm

Very true!

Fics

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:19 pm

My whine: A VMWare Server crashed at work and took out 3 database virtual machines, resulting in me being phoned up at 5am and made to drag my sorry butt in. I wasn't impressed. :evil:

Why can't we shell out for ESXi datacenter instead of relying on this free crud. It's a billion times easier to manage as well. Grrr!
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:28 pm

EEEK! Sorry about the wake up call.

Fics

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:55 pm

Yeah, he knows. He knows he could die any minute or end up bedridden. He doesn't want any more surgeries. He wants to live life now. I know he wouldn't want any extreme measures taken to save his life. In many ways, I understand where he is coming from, but it's still difficult. He's definitely very stubborn and strong-willed. What can I do? Just hope for the best, I guess.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:58 pm

Okay, then does he have an advance directive and health care proxy set up? (Sounds like he probably does.)

Good luck.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:43 pm

I updated my advance directive, and health care proxy all the time. Well I'm in the hospital A LOT! If he doesn't have one you NEED it! It saves a heck of a lot of time and stress.

Fics

Return to “General Chat”