Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Randomness

Postby Aikiweezie » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:59 pm

Bether6074 wrote: If 50 is the new 30, does that mean 40 is the new 20? Yeah right, huh? :doubt: It was worth a try...

That would make me 22! Awesome!
Yeah, I know, it doesn't work that way.
About 5 months ago a really great 80s cover band (Journey, REO, Poison, Def Leppard, etc) was playing at this club which is walking distance from my house. We and about 20 of our same-age friends showed up and closed the place. Only left the dance floor for refills and bathroom breaks. For a few hours there I felt like I was 22 again. What a blast. Then the 20 year ol from a wedding hall next door came in to hear the "oldies." :cry: THEN we felt old. But I'm hoping to do it again soon! I stil feel young!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:17 pm

I'd say 40 is the new 25. Go wild, ladies. 8)

And yeah, that recruitment thing was a racket. A very common racket. Good for you figuring that out.

If your boys REALLY want to model, they probably will need to invest in a portfolio taken by a professional photographer and then hit the pavement with the agencies, enduring rejection and ridicule in the process (my stepdaughter gave it a shot but mostly just got hired to hang out and be pretty at bars during beer promotions, which is probably good since she quickly gave up on it). But most modeling business is in NYC.

And yes, no agency that charges up front is legit. (That goes for writer's agents, too.)

If they were girls your sons might be told they're already too old. I don't know about guys.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:24 pm

Alelou wrote:I'd say 40 is the new 25. Go wild, ladies. 8)

Yep. Maybe I can stay up until 10 tonight. :lol:

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:03 am

JT it's a good thing you walked out, that's a scam agency whatever "answers" they may or may not give you they're still scammers, any supposed "agency" that asks for money upfront is a scam don't deal with them. Ever. Legit agencies don't ask for money upfront they get commissions, that's why it's their incentive to get their talent jobs cuz that's how they make their money. Also legit agencies have a license that you can check out.
ImageImage

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:31 am

As long as we're talking about fraud, beware of anyone offering you a nice hefty check to become a "secret shopper" where you get paid to go evaluate stores. I got one of those from Ontario today. (Canada is apparently quite a hotbed of fraudulent direct mail schemes.) I'm sure what looks like a real check for $2,495 arriving in the mail is bound to entice at least a few people into trying to cash that thing.

Anyway, don't be tempted. It's always a fraud.
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:32 am

Yep Canda is overrun with them. I know because one of my sisters lives there.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:29 am

Alelou, those a great! I especially like "Glancing About for Spock." :lol: Some of the titles left in the comments on that page were good too (A Farewell to Jobs, The Flurries of Kilimanjaro.)

Let's see, what can I come up with?

VOY: "Month of Discomfort," "Annoyance"
ENT: "Rain Shower," "Home Repairs Avenue," "Slowly Braking,"

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:49 pm

Thought I replied to this but it's gone. I particularly liked Sprinklerhead instead of Fountainhead.

Here's an article in the NYTimes about how a certain Kriossan princess stays fit: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/06/healt ... c_ev=click

There's also an article about how beating up homeless people seems to have become a fad. I know it's happened in Albany, with teenagers doing it. What makes it appealing to attack people who are already so down on their luck? Is it some sort of reptile-brain urge to dominate an easy target? Do they make the attackers nervous because subconsciously they know it could happen to them? It's very depressing.
Image.Image

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:03 pm

I think it's sad when there seems to be such a lack of respect for life and human dignity. :( I wish the newspapers would find positive stories to print as well. Bad behavior often seems to be "rewarded" with publicity and attention. Maybe the paper should write a story about one of the homeless people who was hurt by this. Tell their story.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:11 pm

Well, they introduced a couple in Las Vegas who live in a drainage ditch under the city where they could drown during a rainstorm, rather than risk the violence above ground. (Actually, it's kind of amazing how much furniture these people have managed to get into a drainage ditch.)

News by definition is stuff that happens, not stuff that doesn't happen. Homeless people NOT being beaten up for fun by teenagers is by definition not as newsworthy as the opposite. They're already cutting reporters all over the news industry, so plenty of real news isn't getting covered already. And good luck to all of us when they're not covering our local governments well.

Of course, I was just hunting the ABC News site for video because they had a feature about a lobster war that's broken out in Owl's Head, Maine. But I guess the video doesn't go up until the next day or something. Anyway, it has great shots of one of my all-time favorite places in the universe.
Image.Image

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:40 pm

I think, though, that good stuff happens too. You just don't hear about it as much. Or maybe folks don't want to read about it as much?

It's kind of like customers from where I work calling the 1-800 line to complain about cashiers. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't call for someone being nice to them, just for something negative.

Maine, huh? Must be pretty there...and peaceful too, I bet.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:09 am

Well, they've drilled holes in three lobster boats and I believe successfully sunk one, so it's not very peaceful at the moment.

It's quite a rough and tumble business, lobstering. As if the business itself isn't dangerous enough (and it is), when a war breaks out traps can get cut, boats can get destroyed. Men have even been shot. Usually the wars break out between territories, i.e. between Rockland Harbor and Owl's Head Harbor, because they think someone's been putting traps where they have no business doing it. There's also a lot of tension between the people who get ahead, for example, by having lobster pounds that allow them to buy lobster when they're cheap and sell them when they're more expensive, and the run of the mill guys who just need to sell their catch and move on. But then the guys who own the lobster pounds worry because an illness can come through and wipe out their whole investment... I know the daughter of a guy that happened to.

There's a charming novel about lobstering in this area called Stern Men, written by Elizabeth Gilbert who finally hit pay dirt with Eat Drink Love Pray (or something like that, I haven't read that one yet).
Image.Image

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:11 am

Bether6074 wrote:I think, though, that good stuff happens too. You just don't hear about it as much. Or maybe folks don't want to read about it as much?
I like reading happy news stories, but those don't tend to be the career-makers, I suppose. I think it was last week where I read about this poor man whose brother's friend had been using his identity since the 70s and the thief was finally caught. Sometimes, there is a bit of justice in the world.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:42 am

Poor little lobsters. :( I have so much trouble even walking by them at the store all piled on top of one another. I've always had a dream of going to the market and buying them all, untying their claws, driving them out the water and then setting them free. Maybe I'm just weird, lol.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:49 am

Iron Chef had Lobster as the secreat ingredient tonight and I leard a few things that might help you feel better. 1. They're basically on the eveloutionary scale just above the cock-roach. 2. Even if the can feel pain, (which there is no definative proof) their brains don't make them aware of it.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Return to “General Chat”