Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

lfvoy
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: lfvoy

Re: The Happy News thread

Postby lfvoy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:00 am

putaro wrote:They lost 42-12 (that's kind of an amazingly high score in baseball).

Ummm...just how many innings was that?

We had a ten-run rule when I played softball in high school. The only time I ever saw it actually used involved a twelve-inning game, and I suspect the coaches called it as much because the players were tired as anything.

(Of course, everyone who knows, knows that softball is an infinitely superior sport to baseball anyway. Even if it's less lucrative. *grins, ducks & runs)
My fan fiction is in The Laundry Room.

putaro
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby putaro » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:59 am

lfvoy wrote:Ummm...just how many innings was that?

Three or four. Our school doesn't have that many kids playing baseball so the kids are in different grades and most are fourth graders or younger. The other school has an entire team made up of sixth graders. Personally, I would have called them for unsportsmanlike conduct when they kept stealing bases after being 10 runs up. But, Japan seems to run a little differently.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:30 am

putaro wrote:
lfvoy wrote:Ummm...just how many innings was that?

Three or four. Our school doesn't have that many kids playing baseball so the kids are in different grades and most are fourth graders or younger. The other school has an entire team made up of sixth graders. Personally, I would have called them for unsportsmanlike conduct when they kept stealing bases after being 10 runs up. But, Japan seems to run a little differently.

As far as I know Japan (only been there twice), you die with dignity. I think the kids would've thought it to be dishonourable to get the soft treatment even though being outclassed :hatsoff:

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:03 pm

At my daughter's HS the football coach puts in the second string if there's more than about a 15 point lead. It would seem to me to be more sportsmanlike to let your team know that after a certain point you've got to cut the other team some slack to save them some face... not to let them win, of course, but at least try not to humiliate them too badly. Especially middle schoolers. Social standing is everything in middle school. You humiliate a kid at that age and you could ruin their entire childhood.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm kinda happy.

The wife's sister handed her a bushel of tomatoes yesterday so today is canning day!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well its fun when its over...
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:24 am

Hey SB et al

The nephew finally got his first win. Cubs 7 Bucs 4

His line 5IP 2 ER 6 SO 0BB 1HBP(oops)

Its getting fun
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:05 am

Weeble wrote:His line 5IP 2 ER 6 SO 0BB 1HBP(oops)

Oh, didn't know he was a chemist 8)

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:06 pm

Weeble wrote:Hey SB et al

The nephew finally got his first win. Cubs 7 Bucs 4

His line 5IP 2 ER 6 SO 0BB 1HBP(oops)

Its getting fun

Okay, my reading of baseball stats is terribly rudimentary and Kotik clearly isn't a baseball fan. Help us out. IP = In play? Interrupted play? Itchy pinky? :raspberry: ER= Earned runs? SO=Strike outs? BB = Base on balls? HBP? Hit by pitcher?

But congratulations! You must all be thrilled.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Yeah, congrats to fisherman's junior. but whatever he wrote is complete Greek to me :lol: The only thing I think to recognize is 5IP. That could be 5 Innings played. That's as much as I picked up from reading dozens of Frank Downey novels (He's a Red Sox fan).

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:12 am

That would make sense. I could of course just google it, but it's more fun to guess...
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Good news and bad news for the ol' German today. At the end of the next month our whole team will get the pink slip from Hewlett Packard and be replaced by a bunch of Indians, who work for a threepence an hour on a jungle clearing and come to work on an Ox. :roll: The good news: It took exactly three hours until I bagged a new project at Volkswagen, starting exactly one day after I've been fired from HP.

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Kotik wrote:Good news and bad news for the ol' German today. At the end of the next month our whole team will get the pink slip from Hewlett Packard and be replaced by a bunch of Indians, who work for a threepence an hour on a jungle clearing and come to work on an Ox. :roll: The good news: It took exactly three hours until I bagged a new project at Volkswagen, starting exactly one day after I've been fired from HP.

If they're working in India, they're probably working in a nice new building and have servants to fetch them coffee. Now, they probably are making threepence an hour, but that's good money in India.

Congrats on the new job. HP is circling the drain anyway.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:34 pm

It does look as if HP have outsourced and cost-cutted themselves to extinction, or nearly so. :(

Glad to see you have bounced into a new position, hope that all goes well for you there.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:16 pm

putaro wrote:If they're working in India, they're probably working in a nice new building and have servants to fetch them coffee. Now, they probably are making threepence an hour, but that's good money in India.

Congrats on the new job. HP is circling the drain anyway.

I have nothing against them personally, the Ox thing was meant as a joke. The thing is, most of them are not really experienced. They got some basic training but that's it. Their team leaders prepared check lists for them and they are slavishly following them. That's all jolly well, but one variation and they are completely f***ed.
That's not good news if the archiver gets stuck on a production database that belongs to a nuclear power plant. Basically I'm not going to miss that job, but getting replaced by some half-educated folk, who work for bread-crumbs really tells you what 15 years of professional experience are really worth if you work for an American company. It's the second time for me - first time was IBM back in 2009. This 'hire and fire' mentality si so perverted, it beggars belief. Funny thing is, back then we too got replaced by a bunch of indians. They called me back six months later, because the customer, who had outsourced his IT dept. to IBM threatened to sue them, after the Ox-cavalry had trashed several production servers.
This time I'm not going to come back, because the VW deal is a two-year contract. I'm gonna watch that ship sink :badgrin:

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:45 pm

The fun in working in US companies is start-ups. I couldn't imagine working at an old-line US company. SiliValley has finally gotten over the "let's outsource everything to India" mentality, thankfully. There was a while there when it had taken over the start-up culture as well.

Return to “General Chat”