The Happy News thread

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

marchale
Commander
Commander

Re: The Happy News thread

Postby marchale » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Well, I have some "happy news" to report here, at least sort of anyway. Yesterday I had a nearly three hour evaluation done by an RN working for Anoka County and she's recommending that I be given a CADI waiver (that stands for Community Alternatives for Disabled Individuals) so that I can attend (twice a week) this adult daycare center I want to go to here: http://meisagroup.com/adultdaycare.html - it will still probably be another 2 or 3 weeks yet before I hear officially whether their commitee has either approved/denied/or put me on a waiting list for a CADI waiver - but where their nurse recommended it, I'm at least pretty sure that the bureaucrats would follow her recommendations since they were the ones who sent her out to my apartment to evaluate me in the first place. Anyway, at least its out of my hands now so I don't need to sit here wondering whether or not I'm considered "disabled enough" to qualify for a CADI waiver, so that's a HUGE relief to me to get that evaluation done and to know their nurse recommends I get okayed for two days a week at the Meisa Adult Day Center. Actually, she also recommended I be given home-making services as well too, but as I can manage to do my own cleaning and cooking, I'd rather not have a government employee in here doing it for me.

But anyway, hopefully it won't be too long before I'll be able to go to Meisa. I'm really anxious about getting on that because they serve you breakfast and lunch and snacks (and as I only get $51 per month in Food Stamps that would really help out financially) and they take you grocery shopping and on field trips too (which is great because I can't drive), do your laundry and give you haircuts, and they have exercise classes and lectures and movies and what sounds like a fairly wide variety of social activities to do (so hopefully that will be fun). And hopefully it won't be too long before they can get it set up in my apartment building itself so those of us enrolled in the program who live in Fridley won't need to be taken over to their currently up and running Minneapolis location for that. (I'll be the 3rd person enrolled here once I can get this CADI waiver approved, but they said they need at least between 10-15 participants daily here before it would be worth it to them to open it up here in my building). It's just kind of a chicken and the egg problem here because while I'm sure probably alot of seniors and the disabled here (we have 101 apartments) would like to participate in it (who wouldn't like free meals, transportation, social activities, etc, etc?), until they get enough folks approved and enrolled here, they have to take us to their Minneapolis location for it.

But while I don't know what seniors have to deal with to get on their Elderly waiver (which also qualifies you for Meisa), trying to get a CADI waiver (for the disabled) from the county wasn't all that bad to deal with. Your income has to be low enough to qualify you for Medical Assistance (Medicaid), which I'm pretty sure everyone living here is already either on or would qualify for (since we get our subsidized housing through HUD and you have to qualify as low income or extremely low income to be eligible for HUD) and hell, all you do is call the county then and they set up an evaulation with one of their registered nurses to see if you qualify under their guidelines. It was a kind of a minor pain in the ass having an RN sitting here in my apartment filling out their forms and asking you alot of personal questions about your health and disabilities and your life in general for neaarly three hours to get through their paperwork, but all I had to do was to fill out a very short application form initially, answer alot of questions she asked and just sign the paperwork, she did the vast majority of the work involved in it (as far as her filling out this huge long form). I just don't understand why I'm only the third person out of 101 apartments here to be trying to get enrolled in this when its really pretty easy to go through the process of trying to get a waiver (either an Elderly or a CADI waiver), especially when this program sounds so cool and its a free service for those who qualify (and I'm sure everyone who's living here would qualify, we're all on Social Security (whether its through retirement or through disability) and its subsidized housing for the poor and I don't think theres anyone here who isn't getting Food Stamps and Medical Assistance already. Well, hopefully I won't have any trouble getting the bureaucrats to approve my CADI waiver in their commitee meeting next month and I'm really glad their nurse recommended me for two days a week at Meisa and also for that Homemaking Services too - even though I don't want anyone doing my cooking or cleaning for me in my own apartment now, it's really nice knowing that is an option available for the future in case if I might want it in years to come.

Oh, and for anyone who might think adult daycare (like this Meisa thing) or the county providing Homemaking Services is a waste of government money, it's not. It's actually saving the government a helluva lot of money in the longrun because it's meant not only to give the poor and vulnreble adults (whether through old age or disability) a better quality of life in their own homes/apartments - but to keep those at risk from ending up in nursing homes or assisted living facilities, or to at least delay that from happening for as long as possible; which not only would suck big time for the person involved, but would also cost the government a helluva lot more money too. Anyway, they just have an RN do this lengthy evaulation to determine who's at risk for nursing home placement and what needs doing to aviod that and I understand this commitee determining whether you're approved/denied or put on a waiting list for a waiver is set up to "triage" things so they can give the help to the most in need first as their budget allows for. Anyway, I'm glad their nurse thinks I need more help than what I'm asking for here now and that she would recommend I get two days a week at Meisa (BTW, I could go to any Adult Day Care provider I wanted to, I just chose Meisa because they are trying to get this set up in my apartment building), now if only the other residents living here would get off their butts and apply for it like I did we could be having a wonderful time here right at Village Green in Fridley instead of them sending a van out here to take us to their center in Minneapolis. Anyway, it's in the works now and hopefully this commitee will listen to what their nurse recommmended for me and hopefully I'll be going to Meisa soon and hopefully we can get it at Village Green soon too here - I've been farting around with this crap since I attended their first meeting about Meisa coming here back in April, but at least it's out of my hands now and I did what I could here even if the official approval is something I have to still cross my fingers about yet. Now we just need to get alot more folks on board here too, because I'd much rather go to Meisa right here in Fridley instead of in Minneapolis. Anyway, it's still "happy news" for me that their nurse recommended me for this and I don't need to deal with it anymore. Hopefully it'll be in the works soon for me here, but its looking hopeful and I'm just glad to get the worrying and waiting over with here anyway. :happyjump:
Last edited by marchale on Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
http://home.comcast.net/~shadyladyfakes/ - my home page
http://photobucket.com/shadyladyfakes/ - my Enterprise screencaps (they're mainly close-ups!)

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Cogito » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:04 pm

:clap:

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Cogito wrote: :clap:

Thank you, I'm hopeful for the best here - but I think it probably, hopefully helps alot hearing their nurse recommending it for me.
http://photobucket.com/shadyladyfakes/ - my Enterprise screencaps (they're mainly close-ups!)

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:00 am

Wow, that's wonderful news Marc. Those sound like great services and I know how much you want this. I don't doubt for a minute that this program will save some people from having to check into a home that would cost the government tons of money.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:30 pm

justTripn wrote:Wow, that's wonderful news Marc. Those sound like great services and I know how much you want this. I don't doubt for a minute that this program will save some people from having to check into a home that would cost the government tons of money.

Yeah, I read a legislative budget report on that "adult daycare" service which was issued back in 2007 (at least I think it was that year) and they stated that it saves the state over $20,000 yearly per person to have someone enrolled in an adult daycare service over what it would cost the state to have a person go to a nursing home; not to mention I don't think anyone wants to go to a nursing home if they can possibly avoid it. It's just a way to try to hopefully avoid it altogether or to at least posrtpone that for as long as possible. I know my sister's mother-in-law had to be placed in a nursing home recently as did my uncle and aunt years ago (both her mother-in-law and my uncle had Alzheimer's and my aunt got to the point with her Parkinson's where she was becoming paranoid and hallucinating alot - and if a person is mentally unbalanced like that, they do require a nursing home's supervision for their own protection; but alot of times vulnreble people can get by with an adult daycare services or just getting homemaking help, like my mom's cousin, she was 85 and had gone blind, so the county had a personal care attendant to cook and clean for her.

Oh, an update on my case there - I found out this afternoon that I'm being put on a waiting list to get a CADI waiver (so I can go to Meisa at some as yet undetermined point in the future) which I think is still great news to get. Hey, it wasn't like I was denied, I just have to wait (along with many other applicants too) till it's my turn to get a waiver, which is perfectly fine with me, I think those who need the help the most should be the ones to get it first - just like in a waiting room at the emergency room, someone who walks in needing attention soonest should go to the front of the line regardless of how long those in less need have been waiting; so I'm totally cool with being on a waiting list, thats only being fair to those in need more than I am. I'm just glad that I wasn't denied even if I might have to wait a long time to get it. Who knows, maybe by the time I can get my waiver, they might have it set up here in my apartment building so I wouldn't need to be bused over to their Minneapolis location for that. (Frankly I wasn't looking forward to getting bused over to their Minneapolis location anyway; with my severe psoriasis, I can't stand to wear pants on my legs for longer than 3 hours anyway, so I'd have to wear dresses/shorts/skirts and the thought of standing outside in shorts in the winter in Minneapolis to have a cigarette would really suck big time anyway; at least if/when they get Meisa set up in my apartment building (hopefully someday), I could always go back to my nice warm apartment if I wanted a few drags, so I'm hoping by the time I can get my pending waiver there, maybe by then they'll get enough folks enrolled here so we can have our own Meisa program up and running in Fridley so we don't need to be bused to Minneapolis for it. Anyway, I was still very happy to get on a waiting list - that sure beats the hell out of hearing a denial even if it might be a very long wait.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Team Germany just won the Race of Champions Nations Cup for a fifth year in a row :happyjump: :happyjump: And we beat England again in an epic semifinal to get there :mrgreen: (sorry Pete :angel: )

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:56 pm

Kotik wrote:Team Germany just won the Race of Champions Nations Cup for a fifth year in a row :happyjump: :happyjump: And we beat England again in an epic semifinal to get there :mrgreen: (sorry Pete :angel: )

Congratulations!

Not that I'm bitter, but have you noticed that those were all German cars they were racing in? I mean, they probably haven't even got the steering wheels on the right side. I'm tempted to say that they should have used some proper English sports cars but ... ahem ... all the English sports car manufacturers seem to be somewhat broke. Well done on a fine win, anyway. :)

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:58 pm

Roc buggy is french, Skoda is Czech and and the KTM X-Bow is Austrian ;-) In fact, in the German cars (There were only the Audi R8 and the Scirocco), we usually lost :lol:

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:51 am

Kotik wrote:Team Germany just won the Race of Champions Nations Cup for a fifth year in a row

Is this like NASCAR for European rednecks?
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:14 am

Transwarp wrote:Is this like NASCAR for European rednecks?

NASCAR, is that the one where they tie the steering off and drive round in circles for a couple of hours? ;)

No, this is racing, in a variety of cars.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:11 am

Cogito wrote:NASCAR, is that the one where they tie the steering off and drive round in circles for a couple of hours? ;)

Oh, so they don't go around in circles?

So it must be like a marathon or the Tour de France, where spectators line the road and wait for hours, then watch for the two minutes it takes all the cars to drive by.

Yes, sounds VERY exciting.

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:29 am

Transwarp wrote:So it must be like a marathon or the Tour de France, where spectators line the road and wait for hours, then watch for the two minutes it takes all the cars to drive by.

And THAT is why television was invented!

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:22 am

Transwarp wrote:
Cogito wrote:NASCAR, is that the one where they tie the steering off and drive round in circles for a couple of hours? ;)

Oh, so they don't go around in circles?

They actually do go around in loops, one which has corners in both directions ;-)
The Race Of Champion is an annual two-day tournament style race, where champion drivers from different categories of Motorsport, ranging from rallying, road racing, motorcycle racing to truck racing (as in big lorry) square off against each other. Saturday is the nations cup, where teams of two fight for the trophy, while sunday is the individuals competition.

Here's A video of yesterdays competion. Not the best quality, but it gives you an idea, what it looks like.

The last two years, the event has been held in the Esprit Arena in Düsseldorf (Germany), which actually makes it an indoor event (!). Before that it was held in the Olympic stadium at Beijing and the year before in the Wembley stadium in London (where England was beaten by Germany (sorry Pete :angel: ))
As you can see the track is a bit like Martinsville with a few more corners. Due to the tracks narrow layout anf tricky corners, its more a test of skill rather than sheer speed.

The reason, why I'm gloating is, because Germany won for the 5th time and we beat England along the way :mrgreen: England vs. Germany in just about any sport makes a game of Redsox vs NY Yankees look like a cuddly friendly game. The rivalry has become a bit of a 'running gag' really, since the hatred, which once sparked it, is actually gone. One of my best friends is from Enstone. It's more like a good-natured ribbing these days, but a two or three decades ago it was a matter of life and death.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Kotik wrote: Due to the tracks narrow layout and tricky corners, its more a test of skill rather than sheer speed.

I can see that. I also notice that none of the turns are banked, which would also tend to limit speed.

And limited speed would limit the spectacular nature of any crashes, which I gather is a great part of the appeal of a NASCAR race. (With that many cars that close together going that fast, I am amazed that there isn't a wipe-out every lap.)

Kotik wrote: The rivalry has become a bit of a 'running gag' really, since the hatred, which once sparked it, is actually gone.

Easy to say when it's YOUR team that's won the last five! I wonder if the Brits are quite so good natured about the whole thing?

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:04 pm

Transwarp wrote:
Kotik wrote: Due to the tracks narrow layout and tricky corners, its more a test of skill rather than sheer speed.

I can see that. I also notice that none of the turns are banked, which would also tend to limit speed.

And limited speed would limit the spectacular nature of any crashes, which I gather is a great part of the appeal of a NASCAR race. (With that many cars that close together going that fast, I am amazed that there isn't a wipe-out every lap.)

The real apeal is more the spectacular drifting. You're right, the people watching races like Talladega probably just watch it for the 'big one'.

Transwarp wrote:
Kotik wrote: The rivalry has become a bit of a 'running gag' really, since the hatred, which once sparked it, is actually gone.

Easy to say when it's YOUR team that's won the last five! I wonder if the Brits are quite so good natured about the whole thing?

Well the rivalry is still fierce, but the times, when it degenerated into mass brawls are thankfully in the past, but both sides are still taking it seriously. The English gloated for years, when they beat us 5:1 in Munich, only for us to be unsufferably smug for years, when we beat them in the last ever game at the old Wembley stadium :lol:

Return to “General Chat”