Calling All Cooks

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Calling All Cooks

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 am

Wow! I love LOVE peanut sauce. So this is a great thing. Thanks for the subsitute for the onions. And I didn't think your SOS was off topic. I was more surprised at being in contact with someone who has pet rats. Not that I object, I just didn't think I could be in contact with such coolness.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:42 pm

I did it I did it! My mom has had the reputation of making the best marinara sauce since forever, I got her beat! I did it, I have fullfilled a life long ambition. :happyjump:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian
Show On Map: No

Postby enterprikayak » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:44 pm

WarpGirl wrote:... fullfilled life long ambition. :happyjump:

Well, now what are you going to do? You're not even 30.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:54 pm

I said a lifelong ambition only one. I have others. Like... finish one fanfic.

Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:17 pm

:roll: tell me about it. Why does time go slow when I have my hand inside a toothless old person's mouth waiting for some alginate impression to set and yet seem to have gone so quickly when you look back on unfinished fanfic?

'Tis one of the great mysteries of the universe...
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:19 pm

Did I mention I over filled my crock pot and there is now a huge mess? Oh well totally worth it, this is the best tomatoe sauce I've ever had. And I'm not bragging. It is so yummy.

Fics

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:06 pm

Well I have been so lazy the past two weeks. Seriously, potatoe chips were a mainstay. But I am back on the path of the righteous shrimp scampy tonight.

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:55 am

Calling all cooks....

For a story I am looking for a recipe of a Southern dish - a vegetarian Southern dish. It would be nice if this a very common one. It would be nice if this recipe for this dish has one ingredient that is sort of a family secret, which makes this dish a typical - in this case - Tucker family dish.

Any suggestion are welcome, also for my own cooking. :popcorn:
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:13 pm

panyasan wrote:For a story I am looking for a recipe of a Southern dish - a vegetarian Southern dish. It would be nice if this a very common one. It would be nice if this recipe for this dish has one ingredient that is sort of a family secret, which makes this dish a typical - in this case - Tucker family dish.

Chili with beans.

As for an actual recipe, sorry, can't help you there. Google chili recipes and I promise you will be SWAMPED.

(Most probably have meat, but it's not an absolute requirement.)
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:31 pm

I remember somebody - it might have been Distracted - mention a breakfast food that had 'red eye' in the name. Might have been 'red eye grits' or something like that? I've never had anything of the sort, but it sounds like the sort of thing that there are probably secret family recipes for.

Edited to add: No, I think the name I was looking for was 'red-eye beans'.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Cogito wrote:I remember somebody - it might have been Distracted - mention a breakfast food that had 'red eye' in the name.

Probably grits and red-eye gravy.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:55 pm

Aha! That sounds pretty likely.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Red eye gravy isn't vegetarian. To tell the truth I think the only truly "vegitarian" southern food that isn't dessert is not a vegtable at all, (even us transplants put pork in our greens and beans) it's Mac 'n Cheese! Thomas Jefferson's chef invented it at Montecello which is only an hour from me. Of course as the man was a slave most people think Jefferson himself invented it. :roll: But you don't get much more "Southern," you can doctor it up with any secret ingredients to make it yours, and usually no meat. But to be honest I like mine with bacon too! You can't find much of anything down here without pork.

But Grits can work too!

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:56 pm

Vegetarian Southern Recipes:

http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/southern-creamed-corn This calls for sugar, but honey or molasses might be a "secret ingredient"

http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/southern-cheese-stuffed-eggplant The exact type of cheese might be the "secret ingredient"

http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/home-fries-0 Dunno how to make this fancy. Maybe sage or oregano could be the "secret ingredient"?

http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/molasses_baked_beans It's only vegetarian if you omit the bacon, but I've seen instant coffee added to baked beans as a "secret ingredient". Also bourbon.
Image sig by chrisis1033

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:47 pm

We always liked to make "Hushpuppy Chicken" back in our meat-eating days....and in 150 years I'm sure they'd have a good-tasting soy-based (or cloned!) substitute for chicken breast.

The recipe calls for the "chicken" to be rinsed with water and then rolled in a mixture of 1/4 cup cornmeal, 3 tbsp flour, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp cracked black pepper. Then fried in a pan with a bit of oil.

Return to “General Chat”