Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

dark_rain
Site Admin
Show On Map: No

Re: What are you...

Postby dark_rain » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:01 am

Here's a new one;

Suffering from: Bad dose of the cold/flu. Due to a bad throat I am completely unable to make any vocal sounds. It woke me up at 4:30 this morning. I'm tired, sore and unable to function. Sicky tomorrow, methinks.
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:15 am

Vin Brulé!

Hot wine, with sugar and cinnamon!
Really useful (and good :wink: )
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:40 am

Sorry to hear that, d_r! Get well soon! (But shouldn't that be in the whine thread? :razz:)

Waht are you... watching? I have just seen Revenge of the Sith for the first time since it was in theatres (I just got the DVD today). Here are my impressions, taken from a post at the WWBJ board:

I'm a bit surprised that it was actually better than I remembered. It still has all those prequel faults, but it wasn't atrocious. It had its moments.

I did like the opening very much. It was a cool fight above Coruscant and that crash was pretty neat. I actually think they should've used X-wing fighters. It would make sense for the rebellion in 20 years time to still use them, since they're, you know, rebels, and have to make do with what's available. They don't have a factory to make state of the art fighters like the Empire does.

I also liked the Mustafar duel, even if it was a tad overdone at times, what with them jumping on and off melting cranes and such. I think Obi-Wan should've sliced up Anakin's/Vader's face with his saber though. We saw in RotJ that Vader had a scar like that on his face.

Obi-Wan/Ewan McGregor rocked. A very good character when a lot of others seemed lacking. You could really feel for him and what he had to do - "You were the chosen one!"

I'm afraid I cannot say the same for Anakin/Hayden Christensen. He was marginally better than in AotC, but he still made my teeth hurt (great expression BTW) whenever he spoke. And his scenes with Padmé also precipitated some dental aching, even if they were better, relatively speaking, than the really atrocious scenes between them in AotC.

I didn't mind the Palps/Windu fight that much. But the Palps/Yoda one was quite silly. I could've done without General Grievous too.

My main gripe with this movie is, as I've stated before, that the explanation for Anakin's turn to the dark side isn't very satisfactory. Basically it boils down to him having a bad dream. Say what? C'mon, George, is that the best you could come up with? You've had 30 years to figure this out and this is all you could think of? Puh-leeze!

I also think the Jedis have themselves entirely to blame. What a frakked up order! When Anakin comes to Yoda to speak about his fears, all the little green troll can say is that he has to let go, to not allow any attachments with people. What are they? Emotionally suppressed Vulcans or something? Robots? If you can't allow to feel love (or hate for that matter, as in hatred of things unjust and evil) then how can you be trusted with keeping the Republic and democracy safe?

Heh, in a perverse way Palpatine was right. The Jedi staged an attempt at a coup'état and nobody elected them. The Senate may be corrupt and all, but technically that is where Palpatine got his powers from.

On a small sidenote, watching the credits I noticed that they guy who played Tarkin (seen briefly at the end) was Wayne Pygram, better known as Scorpius. Also, Jeremy Bulloch - the original Boba Fett - had a small part as a Clone Trooper captain.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:24 pm

I watched this for the first time like three years ago. Maybe I'd avoided it out of fear that it would be disappointing like the Jar Jar one: oh, right, the Phantom Menace. I was pleasantly suprised. I found it emotionally compelling, even the love scenes. About Anikan's turn to the dark side: I thought George Lucas had written himself into a corner there with that one. I was wrong. It was almost plausible, which for space opera, is close enouph. Anaikan being burned by lava and turning into Darth Vadar was both over-the-top and totally horrifiying. Good job!!!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:34 pm

None of the Stat Wars sequels or prequels had the appeal for me that the first one did. Don't know why. I have seen them all but haven't gotten into them the way I have with the Stat Trek universe.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:47 pm

Been up all night... well.. since 3 PM on Monday to be exact.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:11 pm

It's so!
It's the "SENSE OF TRAGEDY".
Good that becomes evil, but nevertheless it's good.
The Humanity!
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:48 am

justTripn wrote:I watched this for the first time like three years ago. Maybe I'd avoided it out of fear that it would be disappointing like the Jar Jar one: oh, right, the Phantom Menace.

Yeah, episode one was by far the worst of the prequels.

About Anikan's turn to the dark side: I thought George Lucas had written himself into a corner there with that one. I was wrong. It was almost plausible, which for space opera, is close enouph.

Well, I have to disagree. It wasn't very plausible to me. It felt like a cop-out because Lucas wasn't able to convincingly portray why Anakin would be seduced by the dark side. But then again, characterizations has never been his strong suit.

Anaikan being burned by lava and turning into Darth Vadar was both over-the-top and totally horrifiying. Good job!!!

That's actually something that was on Lucas's mind for a long time. I recall reading somewhere as a kid that Obi and Anakin were supposed to duel by a volcano. And there is a line in the Return of the Jedi novelization about how they fought and how Anakin fell into a molten pit, clawing himself out, horribly scarred.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:17 am

Yay I had a fast download on South Park :mrgreen: (well it was a 35mb rmvb file but still it was a fast download compared to what I usually get) gonna watch it now. :D
ImageImage

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:35 am

I once used The Empire Strikes Back as an anti-depressant for most of a summer. I must have seen it 25 times. This theater around the corner from where I lived had a ridiculously cheap bargain matinee, also cheap hot dogs.

Watching: Space Rangers. Way old, but still a good ride. And I'm a Linda Hunt fan. :D

Making: a turqouise and silver necklace for my friend 'Rie. Some baggage handler stole most of the jewelry I've made her for the past few years. :(
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

krn
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby krn » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:55 pm

doing: taking a "mental health" day off.

watching: Muppet Show, season 2
--
I got hugged

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:26 pm

I don't blame you Krn I took a day off and watched the the new Star Gate Movie Saturday.They're going to be filming a new Muppet Movie soon.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:06 am

Watching: an old favorite. Vox Sola

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:14 am

Wondering why I'm awake instead of in bed because I have class in 6 hours 52 minutes, aka, have to wake up in 5 hours 52 minutes.

Also counting the hours until I'm freed from the weight of 4 exams on Thursday.

Oh and get this... Friday...

I'm going to the USMC Springfield Reserve Armory to get a look at, take apart, and possibly fire one or many of the following members of the Marine Corps armament:

Beretta 9MM, M16A4 (bottom), M249 Squad Assault Weapon, M240G medium machine gun, Browning M2 Heavy Machine Gun, and the grand finale...

Mk19 automatic grenade launcher

:D

... Ok so there's no way they're gonna let me fire a Mk19, but I get to look at it! :D
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:17 am

Hog heaven, eh? :D

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Return to “General Chat”