Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Randomness

Postby Alelou » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:02 am

Showing hospitality to strangers is pretty important in most Islamic cultures, if that makes you feel any better.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:35 pm

We DID ask for directions... three times! At one time we where at a village dump on a slope when this Palestinian guy on a motor bike stopped in front of the car. We got out and played happy to see anyone, which probably disarmed him. He then gave us directions to the highway we'd been searching for for over an hour. Helpful chap, but then again it was clear we weren't Israelis or Americans. Being a Swede has its advantages when travelling on Palestinian territory.

Afterwards we found out that the fine print of the car rental agreement stated that we weren't allowed to drive the car on Palestinian administrated territory... :lol:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:05 pm

You know, I got lost in Hong Kong once, just two girls alone and it was getting dark. We asked directions and they just pointed us to several directions, pure out of politeness, or not wanting to admit they didn't know. :lol: Luckily, some Chinese English-speaking angel showed up and showed us the way.

Good to have you back, KTR! Nice to hear people were so friendly to you.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Still not sure about my job, but for the coming months I am safe. Now hopefully some thing will come up in the coming months.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:12 am

Ugh. A dismal uncertainty. I hope it works out well and you don't have to wonder what's coming for too long.

I ended up with three courses next semester, which is more than I wanted since I was hoping to have more time for writing and we are indeed trying to sell the house in the spring (long story), but I don't dare turn the extra section down when I might be down to just two again next year.

Really, I ought to be looking for a real job. But this is the one I enjoy the most of any job I've ever had.

:-x :-x :-x
Image.Image

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Alelou,

In the long run you will be much happier doing what you love to do. I made pretty good money before I retired, but hated the last ten years of it.
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:01 pm

I agree, if you can get by financially doing what you love to do...that is worth more than having a lot of money. I am happier now that I am retired and able to control how I spend my time, even though the budget is a lot tighter.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Trying to work out a way I can do both of the things I most love to do -- writing and teaching. Selling the house and living much more cheaply month to month is the first goal.
Image.Image

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Back at work today after my five weeks vacation. Man, those weeks flew by so fast...
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:44 pm

The only time in my adult life that I've ever had 5 weeks off was when I was on maternity leave... And I was too busy to fully appreciate it. I'm looking forward to retirement. Ten more years and I'll be able to do things like take a 5 week vacatiion. Of course, I may not have the money then, considering what's been happening in my profession lately in the USA. But that's the case everywhere, I guess. If you have the money you don't have the time, and vice versa.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Yup, that is a dilemma. Time and money seem mutually exclusive. I am retired and glad the house and car and boat are paid for! But maintenance on same is expensive enough. And for emergencies, thoughts about that would be daunting if not for an IRA that I am not touching yet - unless a tornado takes the roof off the house or something. So we really have to save to take a long vacation or one that includes air travel to far places. So I rely heavily on my favorite pass time - reading. Libraries, book exchanges at the Y, the half price books store, and now those library boxes on the street, are my sources. For a special treat, Barns and Noble for a brand spanking new book.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:23 am

Not enough money or not enough time is not the reality everywhere. America is sliding below other developed nations in most of these quality of life issues as income inequality here has reached levels not seen since the Gilded Age.
Image.Image

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:28 am

Yes, I can see that we are falling behind! And I feel fortunate because much of what I and my husband have was accumulated before the slide, so we are not struggling. But my daughter and son-in-law are struggling. So I pick up the tab for the grand children's activities and often at the end of any month - food for the four of them and gas for them to get to their jobs. My son-in-law has a job with the county as an emergency dispatcher which should be adequate to support them, but his benefits keep getting chipped away. My daughter does laundry at a motel, full time in the summer, part time in the winter. And even with her working full time, the two of them come up short each month. They are not extravagant in their lifestyle - rent their apartment and own two very old vehicles that barely run. The days of a full time bread winner and full time home maker couple are long, long gone.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:01 am

It's really sad. An awful lot of our food pantry clients are regular working people who simply can't cover all their expenses.

And I'll stop now because otherwise this will turn into a political rant.
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Without wanting to turn this thread into a political rant, please, think of how things are going here.
Better if I stay shut up.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Return to “General Chat”