Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: The Whine thread.

Postby Linda » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:39 pm

I can empathize. Having spread a potluck offering all over the back seat of my car once, I have since transported food only in a sealed tupperware container with, for added protection, a bungie cord hitched around it, LOL.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:07 pm

Aww, nice CX! The worst bit is when it starts to stink. Or just after you've done your pressure washing and realise you've just drowned the engine management computer. Ooops.

I do remember ages back being in a car someone had puked in. Dear god, the smell hangs around for YEARS.
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Bookworm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Bookworm » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:11 pm

:hug: Thank you everyone.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:16 pm

dark_rain wrote:Or just after you've done your pressure washing and realise you've just drowned the engine management computer. Ooops.

That's the nice thing about having a pickup that's as old as I am - no computer to fry. :D

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:40 am

Stupid frelling Salvation Army :mad: :mad: like the third time I've scheduled a pickup (for the same stuff) and they don't show up!! :evil:
ImageImage

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:00 am

It's no fun to clean up spilled Raspberry jello salad from car Upolstery either. My Grandma once had jello someone gave her to take to a dinner and they didn't cover the top of the pan very well it took forever for us to clean it up.After it was spilled all over her back seat.

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:16 am

After being pre-approved for DSL, I was just denied :( I should have known, because I live in the middle of nowhere and my central office is two towns over, but still...

It's back to dial-up for me... :(
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."
--Coco Chanel

Emberchyld's Livejournal: 45% dance, 45% skating, 5% Trying to convince others to watch Enterprise 5% everything else. You've been warned

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:26 am

Huh?? :? :? What the frell do they care where you live for?? :? :? :? :? :?
ImageImage

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:39 am

TPoptarts wrote:Huh?? :? :? What the frell do they care where you live for?? :? :? :? :? :?

Well, where you live and what type of line (copper or fiber) goes to your home/area affects the availability of DSL. I live on the edge of a state forest in the middle of nowhere (there are paintball ranges near my apt. and we regularly get black bears wandering through), so we're served by old copper lines, and probably not many at that.

In a past life (college internship), I worked at one of the "Bells" in the group that, in addition to other duties, checked for DSL availablity and rerouted lines if necessary, so I shouldn't be surprised-- where I live is a prime example of "Sorry, no DSL for yoooooouuuuu."
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."
--Coco Chanel

Emberchyld's Livejournal: 45% dance, 45% skating, 5% Trying to convince others to watch Enterprise 5% everything else. You've been warned

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:18 am

You poor thing :(
ImageImage

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:29 pm

Ethernet devices, specifically the Intel PRO/100 VM adapter in my tablet pc.

It's just fine if you use a crossover cable to connect it directly to your modem or to another PC, but as soon as you connect it into a device such as a switch, it pitches a fit. All for no good reason (that I can fathom) and it's brand new, too! :evil: :evil: Why cant stuff just work? Why does everything have to be made to work, forced against it's will? I dunno :?
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:14 pm

This is not really a whine... just the latest head scratcher from work.

When I first came to work here 4 years ago, the parking lot by the Student Health Service had one parking space with a sign that said "Physician parking only. Tow away zone." Since then, we've gotten two more because at one point we had three docs. Over the years, I've noticed a pattern that students tended to ignore the sign during the semester breaks, which is generally not a problem as long as there's somewhere else to park. At this time of year, though, everyone's coming in to register and parking's at a premium. Yesterday when I got to work someone was in the spot where I usually park and no other spots were available. I parked behind them, effectively blocking them in, and then called Parking and Transit. I (very nicely, I thought) requested that they send someone over to give the student a warning, figuring someone in uniform would be more impressive and we'd start the semester off right once the rumor got around to the incoming freshmen that the university took the signs seriously. No one came, but I didn't mind much. When the young lady returned she had to come in to ask if I could let her out. She was very apologetic and sweet, and said that she hadn't realized the signs were enforced since she'd seen everyone else come in and out all morning. I really couldn't blame her, and let her out after expressing my relief that she hadn't gotten a ticket. I thought I'd handled the situation well.

So... this AM my boss calls me in to ask me why I got so upset. "None of the other staff have designated parking spaces even though they pay the same fee for parking" and "when I make such a big deal about it, it makes the nurses think that I think I'm better than they are" and "not even the university president has a designated parking space so why was I so ugly to the poor girl at Parking and Transit?"

Sigh. :?

I explained to her that... 1. I didn't set up the reserved parking. It was here when I got here.. and 2. I wasn't ugly to anyone... just the contrary, in fact.

Is this just a public university thing or is it now politically de rigeur for supervisors to take careful pains never to be perceived as having more perks than those they supervise? Last time I checked, even my daughter's high school principal had a designated parking place. The nurses all get here at 7:30 before the students are even awake. They don't need reserved parking. Some days I'm not required to arrive until after the students are in class. By that time if there was no designated parking I'd be walking a quarter mile from the nearest available space to get here at some points in the semester. Am I missing something?
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:25 pm

Distracted, sometimes you just can't win. Where does your boss park? I think you should come early one day and take your bosses usual spot. 8)
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:55 pm

^ Yeah do that if you wanna get fired :roll: :?

I'm sorry Distracted :( :hug:
ImageImage

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:09 pm

Why, if no one is supposed to have designated parking spots?

Return to “General Chat”