Randomness

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Randomness

Postby Distracted » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Yeah, I noticed that about the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I liked Donaldson's work a lot at first. Now, not so much.

Thanks for the advice, Alelou. I do have some fairly decent numbers documented on ff.net. The problem with continuing to write fanfics is that when I do that I don't have time to write my own stuff. I actually like writing fanfics much better because of the positive strokes I get from comments, so I tend to write them first and only work on my original stuff when I have extra time. Unfortunately, I rarely have extra time. That's why I've put out over 900,000 words of fanfic in the past six years and I'm still not finished with the damned novel. It's an addiction. :roll:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Hey, you don't have to tell me. It's my downfall, too. Feedback is like crack. But in your case you really do have a business reason to keep your hand in, if you can keep it under control.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Heh. I'd love for you to explain that to my husband. He's been hounding me for years to stop wasting time and get on with the "real writing", already. :lol:
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:00 pm

Pennjazz wrote:
WarpGirl wrote:To certify that my brain will not let me focus on one story start to finish, I'm now writing a crossover fic for NCIS and NCIS:LA. Sometimes I wonder if I'll finish anything!

WarpGirl wrote:Guilt trips make it worse. Then I don't want to finish.

Image You will Finish.....You will Finish... Image

LOL! Thanks. The NCIS thing is my mom's fault. We go on and on, she loves Gibbs. I love Mark Harmon :drool: :loveeyes: but not Gibbs. I love Callen, and Chris O'Donnell, so I thought, do a Gibbs story for mom, add Callen for me. Somehow elements of Scarecrow and Mrs. King appeared. See insanity! Problem, do not know any betas for NCIS.

Distracted wrote:Heh. I'd love for you to explain that to my husband. He's been hounding me for years to stop wasting time and get on with the "real writing", already.

Last week my grandparents had me near tears saying it was bad I wrote things I couldn't get paid for. And now I'm in PEI in my sis living room and if she knew I was on the message board here she'd kill me. The only person in my life that doesn't HATE that I write fic is my mother. So long as I work on original stuff too.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Pennjazz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Pennjazz » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:37 am

WarpGirl wrote:Last week my grandparents had me near tears saying it was bad I wrote things I couldn't get paid for. And now I'm in PEI in my sis living room and if she knew I was on the message board here she'd kill me. The only person in my life that doesn't HATE that I write fic is my mother. So long as I work on original stuff too.

Screw everyone else. Do what makes YOU happy.

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:48 am

WarpGirl wrote:Last week my grandparents had me near tears saying it was bad I wrote things I couldn't get paid for. And now I'm in PEI in my sis living room and if she knew I was on the message board here she'd kill me. The only person in my life that doesn't HATE that I write fic is my mother. So long as I work on original stuff too.

That's too bad and you have my sympathy. I wonder what they would say if you were wasting your time on a more conventional hobby, like scrapbooking or model railroading or even painting. Just because you CAN make money with your hobby doesn't mean it's a good idea. There are lots of people who love to do computer programming as a hobby - it's a whole different thing to do it as your job.

Back to your original point, I find it hard to get projects completed as well - or maybe it's publishing/releasing things out in to the wild world that's hard. I'm four chapters away from the end of part 1 of my fic and I'm finding myself slowiiiiiiing down. I have it all plotted out, it's just a matter of writing it down.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:42 am

Ech, the ex-hubby used to love to get on my case for "wasting my time" writing fanfiction instead of - what - making millions publishing a "real" book? Why do these people think that, if you just felt like it, you could produce a Harry Potter series? And writing some franchise million dollar thing for mass appeal would be WORK - PLAIN, HARD, AND GRIM. You couldn't just write whatever you wanted. It would be business, and not fun at all. Fanfic is a HOBBY - a way of UNWINDING. It has nothing to do with making money. It's a hell of a lot better than sitting in front of America's Next Top Model for hours every evening. It's good for your brain and your soul to work at something you enjoy - something that takes skill.

Most hobbies out there are actually a lot lamer than writing fanfic, but society fears us nerdly crew I guess.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:16 am

Eh, these are the same people who think teaching is an easy job, and all cops do is cadge free donuts off people, and all lawyers are rich, and any idiot can be a good mechanic, and....

In short, they just don't know.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Well, my family hates my fic writing by-and-large, however, I wouldn't go that far.

Right now I'm kind of disappointed that the best place to post NCIS fic is ff.net. I don't want a repeat of the SW's crazies. It was bad. And how do you find a beta there anyway??????????
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:40 pm

I haven't done the ff.net beta thing, but isn't there a scheme there to help you find beta readers? I seem to remember seeing something of the sort.

Whether you'll be lucky enough to find a good beta in your chosen subject is another matter. I suggest you stick to TnT in the meantime to be on the safe side. :D

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Which reminds me... Check your PM in a few minutes. :twisted:

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:09 pm

I needed a new bathrobe and couldn't decide between a Mr. Spock or an Emperor Palpatine one, so I got both:

She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:21 am

Maybe it's the juxtaposition, but when I see that 'Spock' bathrobe I can't help seeing a tiny young T'Mir Tucker absolutely dwarfed by the robe and looking like a cute little Yoda. Because Starfleet surely have bathrobes, right? And T'Mir must surely have been given one sooner or later? :D

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:18 am

Starfleet indeed has bathrobes. Picard had gray silk, Janeway had an INCREDIBLE peach nightgown/bathrobe set, Riker and Tom Paris stuck with classic blue silk. B'Elanna didn't use bathrobes, but she had a pair of Cranberry silk jammies and a blue silk Nightgown that matched Tom's robe. :twisted: Ah love!

Trip would need dozens to match all of T'Pol's jammies.

I wouldn't wear a Sith robe for anything, to many bad reminders of the Sith ex-boyfriend. That said, I'd wear any of Padme's sleepware, especially if it came with Anakin in those sexy black silk jammy pants. :drool:

Fics

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:35 am

Had to share... http://powerwall.msnbc.msn.com/business ... Id%3D47445

I'm all for Mr. Tom Hanks being a peaceful Romulan (they're not all evil) and appearently Ms. Angelina Jolie wanted to make Spock "scream" to be completely honest even I think that it would be understandable if a Vulacan man's control was shattered by her. I mean... if anyone should be able to do it it's her. Of course the same applies to a Vulcan female and Mr. Brad Pitt. Just sayin...

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009-05 ... -star-trek

Fics

Return to “General Chat”