Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Randomness

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:02 pm

Marc, Haven't heard that one "My Ass is Grass" in a very long time. Takes me back a few years. Thanks

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:15 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Marc, Haven't heard that one "My Ass is Grass" in a very long time. Takes me back a few years. Thanks

SB

Yeah, I guess it would be an older expression at that. I know my dad used to have just cause to say it to me fairly regularly (as I often used to get into trouble when I was young) and he died back in 1985, and I've always liked that expression so I use it all the time too.
http://home.comcast.net/~shadyladyfakes/ - my home page
http://photobucket.com/shadyladyfakes/ - my Enterprise screencaps (they're mainly close-ups!)

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:41 pm

I recognise the expression too (although it's not one I hear very often) but I have no idea where it comes from. Any ideas?

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:00 pm

Cogito wrote:I recognise the expression too (although it's not one I hear very often) but I have no idea where it comes from. Any ideas?

No, I have no idea where it comes from, sorry; but my dad lived from 1926 -1985 if that helps give it a time reference - I suppose he could've been using that expression anytime from the 1930's onward I guess.
http://photobucket.com/shadyladyfakes/ - my Enterprise screencaps (they're mainly close-ups!)

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:46 pm

lol in highschool the vice-principal used that all the time. once he stuck his head into History and looked at my friend (who had been misbehaving earlier in the day) and shouted across the room, "Your ass is grass, Reimer, and I'm a lawnmower!"
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

marchale
Commander
Commander

Postby marchale » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:41 am

enterprikayak wrote:lol in highschool the vice-principal used that all the time. once he stuck his head into History and looked at my friend (who had been misbehaving earlier in the day) and shouted across the room, "Your ass is grass, Reimer, and I'm a lawnmower!"

:rotflmao: Oh, that is sweet!!!!! :tears:

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:18 am

marchale wrote:
Cogito wrote:It's a classic line from people predicting the end of the world. :lol: Kotik is gently pointing out that I'm being very pessimistic about how long disk drives and CDs are likely to last. And he's quite right. It's pretty unlikely that you will ever have any problems. But, depending how precious/valuable your data is, 'pretty unlikely' may not be good enough. If you can spare the time, go read the wailing wall at http://www.taobackup.com.

Yeah, I knew it was an end of the world reference, but I wasn't sure if he was referring to the lifespan of the actual discs and drives themselves, or if he just meant that my ass is grass for my little hobby of gathering items to put on those discs and up at 4shared, etc. BTW, thanks for that link, that was as cute as it was informative.

CD's and the drives usually don't last very long unless

a) rarely used
b) stored under ideal conditions in an airconditioned environment

which sort of beats the purpose of the excersize. There is a notable exception however :-p Back in 1992 I spent an obscene amount of Deutschmarks on a state-of-the-art Mitsumi single-speed CDROM-drive and it is still working today :lol: It's part of my ol' test server and you wouldn't believe how slow single-speed is, but back then it was pure witch-craft :lol:

Entilzha
Captain
Captain

Postby Entilzha » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:44 am

Older generation CD and DVD drives had better quality. My first DVD writer was NEC 1300 series and the construction of the device is far more superior to my NEC 4570. In 4 generations the quality has dropped significantly.
You live for The One, you die for The One.

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:59 am

Entilzha wrote:Older generation CD and DVD drives had better quality. My first DVD writer was NEC 1300 series and the construction of the device is far more superior to my NEC 4570. In 4 generations the quality has dropped significantly.

But, to be fair, the originals cost hundreds of quid, and the new ones are faster and cost peanuts.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:03 pm

Marc, I first heard that expression "Your Ass is Grass" in the military. another one "Give your soul to God because your Ass is mine." Those are probably quite old.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Finally, the bum gets the recognition it deserves! ;-)

Pippa Middleton's Rear Is 'Queen of the Booty' in Plastic Surgery Circles
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:36 pm

J-LO and Kim Kardashian are knocked off their pedistals.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:39 pm

^ I've always thought their bums were too big. Mind you, not that that would make me kick J-Lo out of bed... :lol:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:44 pm

She's getting divorced again, do you mind twins! :lol:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:34 pm

Next week is going to be crazy at my work. It's terrible busy already and the pressure is rising. Plus I have to do a study plus I have two small childern and a loving husband that need their time. Plus I have been ill and problably have to see a doctor to see why that pain in my bones wouldn't go away. Still found time to write a MU TnT meets RU TnT-story (almost finished! going places were I never gone before!) and finally muse is happy with the third chapter of World of Ice....
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Return to “General Chat”