The Whine thread.

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: The Whine thread.

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:56 pm

:happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Distracted » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:10 am

aadarshinah! You go, girl!

Silverbullet, I agree with the idea of getting the Geek Squad at Best Buy involved. If you have the funds you can get fixed up to stay online without straining your eye. Voice recognition would even let you write if you wanted to. Don't give up.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:20 am

Distracted. You said the magic words. Funds. It is always money. Need back up money. Insurance covers things but I have a 20 percent Co-Oay. Just had a CAT Scan and my 20 percent is going to cost. could hav eused that money for other things. Wife is 67 and she isn't in the best shape. She is on Medicare and Dcotors are reluctant to take Medicare Patients.

will see if I can get a program to help me read and write on the computer. I may be able to find out what upgrade caused me to loose my Bookmarks. May be able to get Microsoft to give me a fix (dreamworld)

Thanks for you advice.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:02 am

The drs don't much like medicade where I am either. <sigh> Hang in there SB...
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:20 am

Silverbullet wrote: Just had a CAT Scan and my 20 percent is going to cost.

:( Wish you could come up here for a visit and borrow Lee's health card. I'd sneak ya in.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:10 am

You're fortunate Ek you guys live in a good Provance, according to my sis PEI is just as annoying about some stuff as here in her native land. :roll: Life is just inherently unfair.

Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:26 am

They do say that. ;)

More unfairness:
Poor Priso commuted off to work in the rain this afternoon, and then it all turned to snow.

As always in our little warm corner of canada, we are eternally unprepared for snow, and have crap smooth tires and no chains. So when he hit the mountain pass on the way home from work at 1030 pm tonight, it was all sludgy and he couldn't make it up the incline. Even with the 250 pounds of goat and chicken feed in the back which I bought today.

So he turned around and went back down the mountain and now he's on the couch at his parents'. Wonder if he'll be able to come back tomorrow?

Here's the highway webcam:

Not too much snow even. But when it's wet and your tires are smooth and it's a steep hill, it just don't work.

All the trees around our house are dripping with 600 lbs of wet westcoast snow. Supposed to freeze to about 23F tonight though, and if that stuff freezes on there we will be in for a million broken branches. :?
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:23 pm

And I was claiming against a (very) light rain when I left for my bike ride this morning... It appears I'm lucky. :mrgreen:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:54 pm

enterprikayak wrote: have crap smooth tires and no chains.

Good tires are our friends.

Seriously, it's probably the most important part of your car other than the brakes.

Good luck with the ice. I can still remember five days without power thanks to an ice storm here.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:22 pm

I wish that tires with Studs had not bee outlawed. In some places they could be put on and left on until the ice cleared from the roads.

I can remmeber, Many. many, many, years agao the clink of chains on cars in North Dakota during the winter. Roads had a cover of snow with ice beneath that and Chains were all that were available then. Hell putting them on.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Silverbullet wrote:I wish that tires with Studs had not bee outlawed. In some places they could be put on and left on until the ice cleared from the roads.

I can remmeber, Many. many, many, years agao the clink of chains on cars in North Dakota during the winter. Roads had a cover of snow with ice beneath that and Chains were all that were available then. Hell putting them on.

SB

Studded tires are still legal in Russia, but I guess you need them at -40°C :lol: However it's not really a smooth ride. It never ceases to amaze me, how unprepared people are for the winter. I mean, um, it sort of snows in winter - every year - and people are still caught with their pants down as if it happened for the first time :lol:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:42 pm

Silverbullet wrote:I wish that tires with Studs had not bee outlawed. In some places they could be put on and left on until the ice cleared from the roads.

Yeah, that's probably why even though I was only four I vividly remember them. We'd come from Florida and my father just HATED them.

My parents had studded snow tires when they lived in Plainfield, Vermont, now that I think of it. But they were literally out on dirt roads on the side of a mountain. At some points in the winter they had a permanent two-inch layer of ice on top of their Camry. (After Dad broke his ribs in an icy parking lot, they said to hell with it and he found a job back in Florida.)

I don't think Vancouver really does have reliably significant snow every year, though, does it? That's the land of mists and rains.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Kotik where I live in the US we're not supposed to get a heck of a lot of snow. Last year was a MESS! And according to the almanac we're going to get hit bad this year too. So... sometimes predictable snowfall is a myth, we might get hit, we might not. I'm just glad I have asafe place to stay with my parents if we do.

Fics

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Where I live, we get hard snows every 4-7 years, but even a light dusting shuts everything down. It's not worth the money to invest in real snow-removal stuff for the country, so we just shut down when it gets dangerous. Hell, we're almost 200 miles from the coast and occasionally things will shut down when there's a hurricane. But that's just the south for you.

Still, best way to tell around here is, honestly, the hollies. I hate hollies with a passion, but how many berries there are on them at this time of year is usually a relable indicator of how harsh the winter's going to be. I'm guessing a middling one for here, with snows, if they come, coming in jan or feb.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:54 pm

What are hollies? You guys use berries to predict the weather? :shock:

Return to “General Chat”