The Whine thread.

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: The Whine thread.

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:41 am

Gladiator was slightly better than 300 on the historical accuracy front, but I found both movies to be um... Less than a valuable use of time. But then again, I'll watch Troy just to drool over Eric Bana and Brad Pitt. Truthfully The Last Legion is my favorite.

I need a drink too much pain. I didn't want to do this, but I have no pills. Time for an alcoholic liquid candy cane.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Yashida
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Yashida » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:08 am

Argh! Ack! Don't get me started on Gladiator and all its inaccuracies!

I mean, the opening battle and people shouting *gulp* 'Roma Victor!'

Aaaah! *Nails scratching on a black board effect*

Here you have a X million budget movie and they can't even be bothered to ask a FIRST YEAR Latin student to please check and adapt the gender of 'Victor' to match that of 'Roma'? Basic grammar!!! And even when they couldn't do that for some reason, they could have tried opening a Roman history/culture/art book where I guarantee you the correct name would have been used for the goddess Roma!

How difficult would it have been to look it up and have them cry: 'Roma Victrix'?

I expected to see a good movie back when it came out; does it surprise you to hear I almost got up and left hearing that? However since my brother was driving and wanted to stay I had to limit myself to a disgruntled comment...

I mean, really, an overflying plane and people having forgotten to get rid of their watches and such in Ben Hur is just funny. But these kind of mistakes just offend a Latin student, at least myself and a few other friends with linguistic tendencies...

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Yashida, ws that ALL that bothered you about Gladiator? God, starting with a General leading an attack, losing his sword in a tree. Later beig wounded and making it from Northern Germany to Spain without being waylayed or collapsing from loss of blood and a festering wound. The fact that The Emporer wasn't suffocated but died of a natural cause His son Commodus was very popular with the Army and the citizens of Rome. The list is endless. HOwever, There was some top notch acting in it.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:55 pm

I can't watch any movie set in Ancient Rome. It causes me physical pain.... but, is it just me, or does every movie that guy is in these days, he seems to be playing a freedom-loving, wrongly-oppressed something-or-other?

Yashida
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Yashida » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:21 pm

Of course, the 'Roma Victrix' thing isn't the only thing that bothered me.

It's just the one thing that stayed with me the most, because up to that point in the movie I was still in the 'well let's wait and see, it might still turn out to be something worthwhile' set of mind. After that it became progressively worse... the inaccuracies, be it historical, distance related, etc, etc... they just kept piling up until you could hardly even appreciate any decent acting performance...

No, definitely not a favourite movie of mine.

Navigator
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Navigator » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:57 am

Yashida wrote:Of course, the 'Roma Victrix' thing isn't the only thing that bothered me.

It's just the one thing that stayed with me the most, because up to that point in the movie I was still in the 'well let's wait and see, it might still turn out to be something worthwhile' set of mind. After that it became progressively worse... the inaccuracies, be it historical, distance related, etc, etc... they just kept piling up until you could hardly even appreciate any decent acting performance...

No, definitely not a favourite movie of mine.

Me either. The sound overlay of the Zulu war chant while they are waiting for the attack in the opening just sends me into spasms. I keep waiting for the line, "at 100 yards, volley fire, present!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:15 am

I love my Kitty, I love my Kitty, I love my Kitty... She ruined another set of Computer Speakers!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: My ex boyfriend got me these really expensive ones when she ruined the last set. I'm gonna cry now, not because of sentiment, but because they were really expensive GOOD top-of-the-line speakers, that played my music and games in such a lovely way. And my mom wants to kill me.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:25 am

Yashida wrote:No, definitely not a favourite movie of mine.

And ironically, even though I have a degree in history and know how chock full of inaccuracies it is, I love Gladiator.

As to the rest, its Hollywood. Recall that old saying they have (which I actually believe is a Roddenberry quote): "Never let the facts get in the way of a story." Which also sounds to me like something most modern journalists would say.

My whine: not feeling great but gotta go into work tomorrow anyway. Already skipped today ...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:35 am

Rigil Kent wrote:"Never let the facts get in the way of a story." Which also sounds to me like something most modern journalists would say.

How about forget the facts and become the story! I am so ticked off about Rick Sanchez formerly of CNN. I liked the guy, I loved watching "Rick's List" and watching him bash Fox news. It was more entertaining than 99% of TV out there. But he's worse than Fox news and MSNBC combined. At least they have the integrity to publically be what they are. This guy was all self-righteous and turns out he's just as big a fame-monger as other "so called" members of the Press. If John King and Anderson Cooper pull this bull I will die.

Let me be clear I don't watch CNN because I agree with them, I watch because of handsome men and entertaining anchors. And the fact that The West Wing is gone forever, so that is how I get my entertainment. But I do expect ALL journalists to not do this crap.

Fics

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:54 pm

I empathize, Rigil. Going to work when you are feeling lousy is the pits. :thumbsdown:
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Linda, I always had a rule. If I had a hnagover so bad that if I was dead by Noon I would be lucky. I would go to work. I drank the night before so I paid the penalty the next day. But God I ached for the work day to end so I could get a little "Hair of the Dog."

Actually, unless I was being given the last rites I would go into work. When I retired I had two years of sick leave accrued.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:36 am

Good for you, SB! Stockpiling benefits is a nice cushion for retirement and it sure helps during layoffs too.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:15 pm

I had 82 sick days acrrued last I checked. And when the boys were little I was in a hole with sick days.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:30 pm

You're lucky to be in a job that lets you accrue anything.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:28 pm

I could accrue Sick, Annual, and Home Leave.

When I retired I could get paid for the unused Annual Leave (had two months of that accrued) Could get half credit for sick leave. Two years equaled another year towards my retirement pay but I lost all of my accrued Home Leave (six months)

could only accrue two months of annual if not taken then I would lose anything over two months.

In the old days there were people who accrued a years Home leave and took it all at once. they had a nice long paid vacation. Knowing people all over the world they could travel and have a place to bunk at just about every country. In addition to being able to get favorable exchange rates from the Mission Finance Office. Saved a few dollars.

Return to “General Chat”