New members, introduce yourselves here!

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: New members, introduce yourselves here!

Postby Alelou » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:11 am

And welcome again! (I responded over at the video thread.)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:29 am

Wilkommen! (I know that's German but it's the closest I got :lol: )

I'm curious what you think or don't think of the Sookie Stackhouse novels as an Anne Rice fan! I'm a big fan of the True Blood series but I haven't started the first novel yet - I've heard mixed things.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

BloodDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Postby BloodDragon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:52 pm

I prefer to give no information about me. Only this: I love Trip and T'Pol and hate when they are treated badly.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:18 pm

That's fine, welcome! :wave:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:02 pm

Yashida, heel hartelijk welkom bij TRIS. En je weet het, Vlaams klinkt zo veel mooier dan Nederlands. :lol: Veel leesplezier met alle TnT fics op deze site.

BloodDragon wrote:I prefer to give no information about me. Only this: I love Trip and T'Pol and hate when they are treated badly.
You're not the only one! This board is full of people with the same thoughts. Welcome aboard.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:59 pm

A belated Welcome to Blood Dragon and Yashida. this is a friendly board with some very interesting members.

I am the resident Great grandpa (for most members)

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Oh come on SB you're younger than my grandmother! :-p Wait that just makes me older... :(
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Welcome BloodDragon and Yashida! I know I came to this party late, so it's good to see other new members here.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi there, Yashida and BloodDragon, and welcome to TriSilk! :wave:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:33 pm

:wave:Hello and Welcome BloodDragon & Yashida.

Yashida
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Yashida » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:37 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone!!!

And welcome too to BloodDragon!

Bedankt, Panyasan! Bespeur ik hier een mede Vlaming? :D Tja, ik woon aan de grens met Holland en dan word je nogal vaak eraan herinnerd dat ons Vlaams inderdaad toch beter klinkt. Voor de rest geen problemen met de noorderburen hoor, maar we lachen hier graag met elkander.
'k Ben in ieder geval blij op deze site gestoten te zijn! Star Trek blijft gewoon iets enorm speciaal en hier kan ik helemaal m'n hartje ophalen aan de nodige (over)dosissen van TnT fics! Echt, 't was gewoon crimineel hoe ze 't 4de seizoen hebben laten eindigen! Zit ge daar de hele tijd op 't puntje van uw stoel te wachten op wanneer ze nu toch eens eindelijk die twee tesamen zullen laten komen, denkt ge na de aangrijpende 'Terra Prime' episodes van 'ja, nu gaat 't toch nog goed komen, nu zullen ze ze wel eindelijk samen laten zijn'... en dan is daar de meest onvergeeflijke eindepisode ooit!!! Da's echt de eerste keer dat ik überhaupt teleurgesteld was in een Star Trek episode, laat staan zo erg teleurgesteld. :banghead: :evil: Goddank dat d'r fanfics bestaan, daar kunnen we tenminste met z'n allen het bestaan van het fiasco dat die laatste episode is ontkennen en negeren. :D

Groetjes!

crystalswolf wrote:I loved Dark Angel too once they hit their stride. But I have to ask, what did you think of the movie version of "Mists of Avalon" compared to the book?

Well, as is almost inevitable with books that are made into a movie, I liked the book much better. But one has to be understanding of the fact that movies are limited to an average of 2 hours and they really have to select what they put into the movie and what they leave out. So in that respect I think they made a rather decent effort. Especially the music and the visualisation were amazing in my opinion, I was glad they clearly put in a lot of effort into that. However story-wise I must confess I was rather disappointed. Despite understanding the limits of a 2 hour time-frame to tell the same story as in the book, I'm never understanding of movie-makers changing the original story ! I mean, it's one thing to leave out certain things due to lack of time, it's quite another thing to change and re-write the essentials of a good story! I always get a little angry about that whenever they do that in a movie; I most certainly cannot appreciate it. I mean, why on earth would you want to wreck a good story? It's too long ago that I've seen the movie so I don't remember all the things they changed (though there were quite a few), but I do remember that the death of Viviane and Merlin was rather poorly handled, as well as Uther's sudden out of the blue change to Christianity and several other details. I just hate it when they do that! Because it leaves you with quite another version which is in some cases exactly the opposite of what the author meant in their book! Look to the Lord of the Rings movies for example: they're absolutely amazing movies and they even go through the effort of explaining the changes they've made in the extras, but I still don't agree with one of them. I completely understand leaving out the whole part with Tom Bombadil, that's not a change after all, and I even understand having the Elves showing up at the battle of the Keep instead of showing them fight their own battles elsewhere as it happened in the book, because it doesn't actually interferes with the essence of the story. But what they did with Faramir was completely wrong! Tolkien truly meant for Faramir to be opposite to his brother Boromir in regards to the One Ring; it is a very essential part of the story this emphasis that is made in the book about Boromir being unable to resist the temptation of the One Ring and Faramir telling Frodo that 'he wouldn't even pick it up should he find it lying alongside the road'. They just really, really shouldn't have changed that, because it changed the character of Faramir into something less than he was, completely unnecessary. I know they explained it with a need to show how dangerous the power of this ring really was, but honestly, even if I hadn't read the book I'd gotten that little fact already from the first movie! It's almost insulting how a lot of movie-directors underestimate the intelligence of their audiences...

Ah well, forgive me the perhaps long-winded answer; I just feel a bit strongly about this. So, in short: I think the movie of 'Mists of Avalon' was beautiful though with an unnecessary wrecked story-line and unsurprisingly think the book was better.

Elessar wrote:I'm curious what you think or don't think of the Sookie Stackhouse novels as an Anne Rice fan! I'm a big fan of the True Blood series but I haven't started the first novel yet - I've heard mixed things.

Well, I'm not so much of an Anne Rice fan as I am a fan of her series 'The Vampire Chronicles'. As for Sookie Stackhouse novels I regret to say I have never heard of them before now. So I'm afraid I can't help you there.

~Yashida

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:42 pm

OK I ran the dutch through the translator! I AGREE! ;-) So I have two questions... Is your name your actual name? And if not how did you choose it?

Fics

Yashida
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Yashida » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:55 am

Oops! You must have quite an amazing translator as I did use quite a number of contractions and other dialect expressions... :oops:

I didn't mean to exclude anyone, but I was just replying to Panyasan addressing me in my own language.

Anyway, I think most people here would agree with my opinion on the last episode being quite the unforgiveable disappointment and the desire to pretent it doesn't exist.

As for my name, no it isn't my real name.
But I thought it fitting to use the same name here as I do on ff.net.
As for where the name comes from, it's the name of a main character in my original writing; she's Japanese and Yashida sounded sufficiently Japanese to go with when I invented her back when I was 12. I only found out later that it's actually a Japanese surname... and didn't have the heart to rename her.

On another topic, do you know anyone here who could help me with creating an Avatar related to Star Trek (TNG or ENT)?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:02 am

You could look in either the fanart section or PM Misplaced she did mine and I love it! And don't worry people slip into their native languages all the time. Us U.S. Americans just turn to bing or google. ;-)

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Yashida wrote:Bedankt, Panyasan! Bespeur ik hier een mede Vlaming? :D Tja, ik woon aan de grens met Holland en dan word je nogal vaak eraan herinnerd dat ons Vlaams inderdaad toch beter klinkt.
Nee, geen mede Vlaming - maar een rasechte Nederlander ;-) die houdt van mooie taal - dat is Vlaams zeker - en goed taalgebruik. De Vlamingen winnen niet voor niets alle dictee-wedstrijden. Back to English, because I don't want to exclude any one: I totally agree with your view on *the_abomination*, I never have been so upset by an episode of a television show as I was after watching *the_abomination*.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Return to “General Chat”