Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: The Whine thread.

Postby Alelou » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:30 pm

Might not be too easy this year. Even though community college enrollments always go up in recessions, the states are crunched for funds and Congress didn't come through with anything significant. My comm. college is getting hit with major cuts at the same time it's serving more people.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:32 pm

aadarhinah (sp). this is a serious suggestion. why don't you take the FSO (Foreign Service Officers) exam. I believe it is given about this time of the year. It is two segments. First is a three hour long general knowledge test and the second is an english test. You can ace the English part. The General knowledge might be abit harder. However, if yo can get past the weritten then the orals are next. FS life isn't that bad. A bit dicey now though. Good pay, great benefits. Good retirement. Free travel, housing paid for, health paid for , Utilities paid for (except for telephone). Bomb proof job. Meet interesting people around the world. Live in different cultures.

You are a very intelligent preson so you should be able to pass the test easily.

The English part consists of 100 questions and you would have one hour to complete it. Piece of cake for you. The General knowledge part has (I believe) 300 questions and you would have 180 minutes to finish it.

I took it a few times. alwasy passed the general knowledge and failed th English part. Last time I finished the General knowledge part in none hour and got a 95 percent correcct so it can't be that hard. Diffetent test every tyear though.

Sb
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:53 pm

Hmmm... looked that up, SB. It's given in october... I'll have to think about it. but first, I have to make dinner and brace myself for an over-the-phone-lecture. At least I returned my rental and got the ticket taken care of today...

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:00 am

Teaching english as a foreign language? Also, go on craigslist and look for people seeking nannies. HUGE PAY!

Good luck!
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:03 pm

enterprikayak wrote:Teaching english as a foreign language? Also, go on craigslist and look for people seeking nannies. HUGE PAY!

(Perhaps even better, you might get out of your parents' house...)
Image.Image

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:05 pm

Because I'm suddenly presenting my doctor with a bunch of lovely symptoms that don't bear discussion here, she just tested me for celiac disease. Also Lyme disease. I know the latter well because my son and some acquaintances have already had it, but the former was new to me. Imagine life with no wheat or barley or rye in it again ... ever. (:explode: )

I don't know whether to hope one of these is the simple cause and I can just buckle down and address it and eventually become completely healthy again, or dearly hope that's not it at all because it would be such a total pain in the ass to deal with either of them.

Gah.
Image.Image

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:13 pm

Hopefully it is just psycosomatic. A life without wheat... that means no bread... or cake! That's just too horrible to contemplate.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:18 pm

Sending you my best wishes and hope you hear soon what the results of the test are. Take care of your self. :hug:
Last edited by panyasan on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:37 pm

aadarshinah wrote:Hopefully it is just psycosomatic. A life without wheat... that means no bread... or cake! That's just too horrible to contemplate.

Yeah, let's hope I'm just nuts instead, right? LOL.

There is a lot of gluten-free stuff out there, but it costs a fortune and God only knows how it tastes. The most annoying thing would just be having to play food detective for the rest of my life, and suddenly becoming that annoying person who can't eat what everyone else eats.

Could be worse, I guess. I believe that going gluten-free is the latest Hollywood fad. Maybe I'd lose ten pounds and suddenly look like a movie star. :roll:
Image.Image

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Alelou wrote:Yeah, let's hope I'm just nuts instead, right? LOL.

the body does strange things when it's stressed out. doesn't nessicarily make you crazy. Interesting that your mind went there though...

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:13 pm

:raspberry:

The stress does build when classes start in just three days, and I've had plenty of psychosomatic symptoms in my life (once the boss from hell had me feeling like there was something literally stuck in my throat for two days). However, I've never had psychosomatic yeast infections in my mouth before, or psychosomatic anemia, or psychosomatic low thyroid function, or ... you get the idea. I don't think bloodwork is terribly susceptible to psychosis. Or maybe it is, I dunno.

Or maybe, as SB would say, getting old is just not for the faint of heart. I suppose this could all just be middle-aged thyroid disease just beginning to kick in. Apparently a lot of women my age suddenly start devouring their own thyroid glands. :?

I suppose it makes me sympathize more with poor T'Pol and her very messed up body in Season 3, though at least she had Trip without his shirt on around to make her feel better.
Image.Image

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:28 pm

Oh dear, Alelou! Should I be hoping for Lyme disease? That sound a little better than celiac. :? Or maybe you are alergic to one particular thing that can be removed from your diet. :? *crosses fingers for you*
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:37 pm

Gluten is "one particular thing". Unfortunately, it's in virtually all of the grains we commonly use for food. I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties, Alelou.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:13 pm

I don't know which to wish for (or wish less for, more accurately). Psychosomatic is sounding pretty appealing, actually. :?
Image.Image

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:37 pm

Alelou, :hug:

Perhaps yogurt or kefir (better) to help with the yeasties while you find out what's going on and what you want/have to do?

Return to “General Chat”