Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander
Show On Map: No

Re: Randomness

Postby Jedikatie » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:14 pm

Speaking of the cruise, Hoshissis and I were walking around downtown Seattle on Friday after we got back (went to Pike Street Market, though we didn't make it to the space needle--the way the weather was on Friday I don't know if it would have been worth it anyway since it was so changeable). Anyway, we kept seeing these large decorated pigs everywhere and a sign saying "Pigs on Parade 2007." What the heck is that about, anyway? We were trying to figure that out most of the time we were walking around...
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:41 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Roswell again! He Saw the Bodies

So, what do you think? Actual alien encounter followed by government cover up? Or total lunacy by people wanting their 15 minutes?

Interesting. But you forgot to give us the government covering up top secret military operations option. What if the government told the people working on picking up the crash site that it was aliens to cover something they really, really didn't want to get out? *shrug* I'll add it to the list of things I want to ask God someday.

One thing I noticed was the thing about the alleged aliens having big heads. I wonder if that's where we get the alien stereotype of the short little green men with big heads.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:45 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:*shrug* I'll add it to the list of things I want to ask God someday.

Right up there with "What the heck were you thinking when you made the platypus? Sir."
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:46 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:48 pm

I sure hope you had many great moments on your cruise despite the cat lady. You must have been looking forward to it so much, and then this happens. But as time passes maybe you can look back on it with humor?

How was the scenery? The glaciers calving? Had you ever been to the Northwest before? I would love to visit there someday. Haven't the foggiest what the thing about pigs is. Something to do with the local culture? It reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw at a truck stop one time: "Cat, the other white meat". Don't know what that was all about, but I think that might really have sent your dinner companion into a frenzy if she ever saw that! And she was a vet? Well, even well educated people can be crazies! Don't think I'd want her touching my pets, though.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:09 pm

^
No, NX-Oner is a vet, not the cat lady. I work at a pet store. She and I were trying to run interference between the cat lady and the rest of the table on that particular night. The crazy cat lady runs a pet rescue or something.

And it's highly doubtful I'm ever going to look back and laugh at that lady's antics. You'd have had to have been there to get just how bad she was. I'm serious--I had someone from a completely different table, the last night we were at Connor's table (with the cat lady sitting next to me and Matt Trinneer, his brother on the other side, lean down between Matt and me and say, "I feel your pain" and then indicated with his head towards my left where she was sitting. I whispered back at him that it was the third time I'd been stuck sitting next to her. I mean, seriously, when all this lady does is talk incessently about her cats the entire freaking trip to the point that everyone else on the cruise went to great pains to avoid her at all costs, it should be a hint just how much of an annoyance she really was...)
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:30 pm

Jedikatie wrote:Speaking of the cruise, Hoshissis and I were walking around downtown Seattle on Friday after we got back (went to Pike Street Market, though we didn't make it to the space needle--the way the weather was on Friday I don't know if it would have been worth it anyway since it was so changeable). Anyway, we kept seeing these large decorated pigs everywhere and a sign saying "Pigs on Parade 2007." What the heck is that about, anyway? We were trying to figure that out most of the time we were walking around...

"Pigs on Parade" is money-making scheme for the Pike Place Market, one of our biggest tourist traps. Smile The pigs are copies of a bronze statue of a pig (nicknamed Rachel) that sits at the entrance to the Market. Little kids get their pictures taken sitting on her.
Developers are always trying to shut the Market down because its on such prime real estate. Anyway, buildings or big businesses buy a pig and have it decorated. Some city government departments have one too...last time SPL had one, it was collaged with pages from childrens books.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:14 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:One thing I noticed was the thing about the alleged aliens having big heads. I wonder if that's where we get the alien stereotype of the short little green men with big heads.

That stereotype isn't that old. It comes from the alleged alien encounter Betty and Barney Hill had in 1961. All other alien abduction stories with small alien with large heads and eyes came after they "pioneered" these types of reports. Even the Roswell incident didn't swell into this huge thing until a guy named Stanton Friedman did reseach for a book about it in 1980. All supposed Roswell "witnesses" didn't come forward until after that time, which doesn't speak well for their credibility.

Besides, we all now that it was Quark & Co. who were at Roswell... Wink
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:38 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:All supposed Roswell "witnesses" didn't come forward until after that time, which doesn't speak well for their credibility.
No, not so much.
Besides, we all now that it was Quark & Co. who were at Roswell... Wink
Shock Quark is a short alien with a big head!

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:08 am

^
But how do you explain away Odo? Wink

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:18 am

Jedikatie wrote:^
But how do you explain away Odo? Wink

He's a shapeshifter.

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:47 am

Yeah, but the only two forms he took during the episode were his own and that of a German shepherd, and neither one has a big head and little body... Wink

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:20 am

Grr. It's like after 10 so I'm supposed to go outside with the computer. But there's a frelling guy staying in my room right now. Even though it's supposed to be all chicks. That frelling Grievous put him here (she works in the frelling office too now and she barely speaks any English either. Rolling Eyes I think the manager favors French people because she's French Rolling Eyes ) and so that guy's here with his girlfriend. I'm scared they're gonna have sex if I go outside Confused hell I'm scared they're gonna have sex even when everyone else is in the room. Stuff like that has happened plenty of timesbefore Rolling Eyes Mad

Yeah. It's a frelling zoo. Confused
ImageImage

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:03 pm

^Damn, and you haven't commited homocide yet?!? Strong woman!

Some more polly costumes for ya'll (don't start about the seventh)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STAR-TREK-ENT-T-P ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STAR-TREK-ENT-T-P ... dZViewItem

And yes, I know the second one wasn't JB's
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:21 pm

^
I've had them on my watch list since earlier today, actually. It's highly unlikely I'm going to bid on either one, but I'm just curious to see what it ends up going for...

Return to “General Chat”