Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Fancy meeting YOU here!

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:00 pm

Thanks for saving me from wasting my time JT! I just told my husband (who is a "man of a certain age" now) that I thought the show might be worth watching.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:50 am

Ditto. I think Scott is dreamy, but "not goofy looking" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. :?
Image sig by chrisis1033

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:15 am

He looks really good. :shock: Still, it's not enough to make me watch this show.

Speaking of "Fancy meeting you here": David Duchovney fans should be aware that there is a show called "Californication" about . . . well fornication. There is no legitimate reason to watch this show and no compelling reason other than the David Duchovney eye candy. The plot is pretty disgusting so I'm going to stop watching, but, for the record, Fox Mulder still looks mmmmhh, mmmhhh Good!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:25 pm

Last Monday I was listening to the classic rock station on the way to school (I LOVE their morning talk hosts, Deminski and Doyle). I stopped for gas, and when I got back into the car they were talking to Scott Bakula about Men of a Certain Age. Unfortunately they don't have it listed as one of their podcasts, so I wasn't able to post a link. :(
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:57 am

I have to admit that I "Men of a Certain Age" is suddenly one of my favorite shows. After a horribly dull and depressing start, it got interesting. I'm not sure why I find this show so appealing. While not physically attractive, the Andre Braugher's character is extremely compelling. He's the overweight, happily married car salesman, whose main problem is having to work for his famous and successful and mean father. He's my favorite character of the three, followed by Scott Backula's character, Terry, the charming, happy go lucky playboy. I shake my head in amazement that the Terry character is so different from Jonathan Archer. I it almost impossible to think of Archer while watching Terry. Ray Ramono's character continues to be sad to watch because of his divorce and his gambling problem. But all the characters are realistic. The premise of the show is that these three guys grew up together and are loyal to each other because of shared history. They aren't especially similar. In fact the point of the show, I believe is to contrast the lives of a married guy, a single guy, and someone in between (the Ray Ramano character who is going through a divorce). Because the three men know each other from way back when, they say things to each other that are honest and even critical. So it's interesting.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:03 am

I know I'm insane but I have never seen Scott Backula in a roll (including Quantum Leap) where if I see him in something else I can't see him as the character he played before. That's what made him being a ST Captain hardest for me, I kept seeing Mary Jo's cheating Dr. Husband on Designing Women, or the numerous Lifetime movies, and so on. And when I saw Men Of A Certain Age I saw Archer too! Again I'm nuts but I don't get what appeal the man has.

PS JB was on Starship Troopers Sat. on TNT (the stantion not the pairing) sorry I'm a world class geek but I don't do Starship Troopers!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:11 pm

I liked Starship Troopers. I didn't like the blood and guts, but in what other gory SF movie do you get to watch the main characters kneeling in prayer? 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:17 pm

I liked the first one once it got past the first half hour--that just dragged. I don't remember much about the second one except I thought it was kind of dumb compared to the first, and I haven't seen the one Jolene is in.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Ludmila
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Ludmila » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Aquarius wrote:I liked the first one once it got past the first half hour--that just dragged. I don't remember much about the second one except I thought it was kind of dumb compared to the first, and I haven't seen the one Jolene is in.

The second was not very good horror. But I enjoyed the first and the third. I loved Jolene there (except the first scenes and the scene with praying). But Jolene was very interesting as a leader there.
By the way, the armour in "Avatar", IMHO, has a strong resemblance of the "Marauder" armour.
Do you agree, Dis?

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 pm

The first Starship Troopers is something of a guilty pleasure to me. I know it's not faithful to Heinlein but it's a fun romp. And it has the lovely Dina Meyer :drool: (damn them for killing off her character and letting that annoying Denise Richards character live instead).

I haven't seen the second one, but I have of course seen the third one with Jolene. It was a bit hokey but sort of fun too, although not as good as the first. The acting and story was choppy but at least Jolene did a decent job. And she looked great :drool: even if there was no nudie shower scene...
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Ludmila wrote:
Aquarius wrote:I liked the first one once it got past the first half hour--that just dragged. I don't remember much about the second one except I thought it was kind of dumb compared to the first, and I haven't seen the one Jolene is in.

The second was not very good horror. But I enjoyed the first and the third. I loved Jolene there (except the first scenes and the scene with praying). But Jolene was very interesting as a leader there.
By the way, the armour in "Avatar", IMHO, has a strong resemblance of the "Marauder" armour.
Do you agree, Dis?

Are you talking about the mobile giant suits? Those are pretty darn cool.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Ludmila
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Ludmila » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:05 pm

Distracted wrote:
Ludmila wrote:By the way, the armour in "Avatar", IMHO, has a strong resemblance of the "Marauder" armour.
Do you agree, Dis?

Are you talking about the mobile giant suits? Those are pretty darn cool.

Yes, about them. They wery superb but seemed alike in both movies.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:16 am

I have a problem when aliens are instect like creatures. And yeah I hate Xindi insectisoids. No troopers for me. I barely got through CT's Serenity/Anacraphobia movie. I just hate bugs!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Ludmila
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Ludmila » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:18 pm

I watch now "Leverage" on TV in Russian and watched it on DVD in English (I could understand only one third without announced subtitles :banghead: )
Brent Spiner was a guest star in the episode "The Juror #6 Job". I saw him only in "Star Trek" before and was pleasantly surprised that he made his character something more than the plain bad guy. I like this show but its villains are frequently one-dimensional.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:56 pm

I've seen that one. He did a good job. At least his role wasn't just one big fart joke like in that movie where Dana Carvey pretended to be a turtle. I forget what it was called, but it was stupid.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “General Chat”