Do you believe in love at first sight

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: Do you believe in love at first sight

Postby Aquarius » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:28 pm

Bether6074 wrote:The whole thing is evolutionary, though. I've even read that we're naturally physically attracted to types that we're better inclined to produce healthier babies with. Something about different DNA types...

On a related note, I read in Cosmo once that if you don't like how a member of the opposite sex smells (sans aftershave, perfume, etc. that is), it's likely because they are too genetically similar to you; an evolutionary throwback from our caveman days in order to ensure that we produce a healthy, genetically diverse population. Mother Nature apparently tried to give us a leg (or maybe a nose) up so we wouldn't have kids with all kinds of recessive genes.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm aware of what you reported and I find that very interesting and plausibly.
Hey! Vulcan females have a heightened sense of smell, haven't they? :lol: :lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:07 pm

Aquarius wrote:
Bether6074 wrote:The whole thing is evolutionary, though. I've even read that we're naturally physically attracted to types that we're better inclined to produce healthier babies with. Something about different DNA types...

On a related note, I read in Cosmo once that if you don't like how a member of the opposite sex smells (sans aftershave, perfume, etc. that is), it's likely because they are too genetically similar to you; an evolutionary throwback from our caveman days in order to ensure that we produce a healthy, genetically diverse population. Mother Nature apparently tried to give us a leg (or maybe a nose) up so we wouldn't have kids with all kinds of recessive genes.

Yep. I've read that too. Certain pheromones that we're drawn to in order to keep the species strong. How romantic, huh?

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:33 pm

I read somewhere recently that the birth control pill changes the way women process pheromones, so the man that you were crazy in love with when you went on the pill might repulse you when you are on it. Consequently, if you were on it when you met him, he might be repulsive to you if you go off it. :wtf:

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:41 am

Well, hopefully the pheromones mainly influence just the initial "lust" stage and the woman's conscious mind takes over eventually. My husband turns terribly smelly every time he goes back into ketosis with Atkins and I don't fall out of love with him. (That's what mouthwash and breath mints are for. :lol: )
Image sig by chrisis1033

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:58 am

Distracted wrote:Well, hopefully the pheromones mainly influence just the initial "lust" stage and the woman's conscious mind takes over eventually. My husband turns terribly smelly every time he goes back into ketosis with Atkins and I don't fall out of love with him. (That's what mouthwash and breath mints are for. :lol: )

:lol: :lol:

I've also read that when a woman is ovulating she finds burly manly-men most attractive and when she is not she prefers the more-sensitive tyoe.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:24 am

Aikiweezie wrote:I read somewhere recently that the birth control pill changes the way women process pheromones, so the man that you were crazy in love with when you went on the pill might repulse you when you are on it. Consequently, if you were on it when you met him, he might be repulsive to you if you go off it. :wtf:

That actually makes sense in a lot of ways.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:38 am

Aikiweezie wrote: I've also read that when a woman is ovulating she finds burly manly-men most attractive and when she is not she prefers the more-sensitive tyoe.

Yep. It's all biological when it comes to attraction, I'm afraid. Don't think I'd ever prefer a manly-man, though. I prefer sensitive...

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:32 pm

Distracted wrote:Well, hopefully the pheromones mainly influence just the initial "lust" stage and the woman's conscious mind takes over eventually. My husband turns terribly smelly every time he goes back into ketosis with Atkins and I don't fall out of love with him. (That's what mouthwash and breath mints are for. :lol: )

OMG too funny Dis! And very true. :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Return to “General Chat”