On Laundry

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Re: On Laundry

Postby panyasan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:09 pm

Alelou wrote:Well, I'd say T'Pol and Trip are a lot closer to Elinor and Edward than they are to Marianne and Willoughby or even Marianne and Col. Brandon.

Okay, which Austen heroine is T'Pol most like? Hmm. Anne Eliot, I think, though she definitely has a touch of Lizzie Bennett's biting sarcasm. And Trip? Frederick Wentworth, I think, complete with the flirting with other women and the touch of resentfulness. Yep, Persuasion is the best match for them. That's my theory.

:D I was kind of in a hurry when I wrote my last post. I saw Sense and Sensibility on television yesterday and it struck me that Marianne is for me the stereotype of a romantic. Totally in love, but forgetting common sense and logic, almost hysterical. So I wanted to say, I can't relate very much to Marianne, but much more to Elenor. Any way, not really interesting, but we can always start a Jane Austen-thread. ;-)
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:28 pm

panyasan wrote:And this from a non-romantic, who for some reasons seems to care about this issue. ;-)

Not a romantic!!!!!!! Honey really that's the biggest lie I've heard this month. Um T'Pol was asleep when that dream happened and I'm sure she wasn't indulging in a S&M fantacy of strangling her lover. Um yeah she's a bit "enthusiastic" but not violent. So I'll say it was a combination of many things:

1. Being in a war that honestly it looked like they were going to die in.

2. Being high out of her mind, and not having a fix when she needed it.

3. Being in love and having no clue.

4. All of the psychic rapes, DNA changes, Pa'nar, anomolies that DO affect physiology, time distortions, and other hair-raising stuff that creeps up on you in ST. Eventually it will all come out some way.

Not that these were in any order but realistically I'd find it strange if her mind DIDN'T process everything in at least one racy dream. I know Vulcans aren't supposed to dream but when you go without meditation it happens. And when did she have time to properly meditate in Damage? She would have probably had similar dreams without being sky high with Trellium. Really dreams are something I rarely take seriously. I'm not saying T'Pol doesn't love Trip but a dream hardly proves it.

PS Back to the laundry, I think everyone gets a laundry time. And everyone except the Captain has to do it themselves. I'm tired of all these spoiled people.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Aikiweezie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:36 pm

I agree with WarpGirl. Ther has to be some kind of small laundry room on board. It would be interesting if someone did a story on "laundry room" conversations. You know, you're sitting there, wiating for the dryer to free up and you start talking to whoever else is in there with you.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:40 pm

Hey, Trip never gets enough sleep as it is. I think a crewman has to get stuck with his laundry. I find it hard to believe the high-ranking officers have to do laundry on a real naval ship of any size, either. (Do they? Too bad neither of my grandfathers is around to answer this.)

Anyway, we already know T'Pol has sex dreams when she doesn't meditate, even though I'm sure we'd prefer to block out the ones with Tolaris in her bed (shudder).
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:46 pm

What can I say? I actually like doing my laundry. I think it would be thereputic for a mundane chore to be done in space. It brings a sense of normality in a life where you are constantly bombarded by the abnormal, and wierd. Now in the 24th century they "recycle" their dirty clothes and everything else. But for the 22nd century I think normal laundry is a great idea. As an insommniac myself I'd say Trip would appreciate the distraction of a chore.

Even animals deream about sex I'm sure of it. That's just hardcoded into DNA into life that isn't asexual. I don't think the sex part meant much. The killing Trip part meant A LOT!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Oh, I wouldn't say it doesn't mean much. I mean, what's more comforting than a hot shower if you're on a ship that's usually colder than your home? And then to have the man you love very tenderly come up behind you -- a combination of the two comforts in your life, neuropressure and hot showers -- so you've got comfort on top of comfort, and gosh, he has such lovely hands in that scene -- but then her deepest fears took over and turned it into a nightmare.
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:09 pm

Well yeah but still I don't think dreams are all that deep with hidden meaning. I mean come on what can you possibly say about a dream of marrying your dog, or sister, or eating your biology teacher? NOTHING except you're ovetired and your brain is reseting itself so you can function. It doesn't mean you want to marry your dog, your sister, or that your are a cannible. I really don't think that dreams determine reality. After all she's not in love with Tolaris is she?

Fics

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:23 pm

Enterprise is a not a big ship and has a relatively small crew. I don't think there would be crewmen assigned to nothing but assisting chef and doing laundry and cleaning, but I could be wrong. I watched a show about aircraft carriers, and the lowest ranking cre members had to rotate doing things like cleaning the heads, doing laundry, etd. Officers never had to do that kind of thing.

I wish a military person would chime in on this one.

As for "romantic" dreams I know I have had some doozies and when I woke up I was appalled and embarassed and very very confused by my subconscious choice of a partner. (coworkers, celebrities, etc.)

I had a really bizarre dream a while back that I was pogo dancing with Barack Obama in a train car to "I Wanna Be Sedated" by the Ramones. Weird...... :dunno:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:32 pm

:guffaw: Aw don't feel bad. I had a dream about my cousin that was thankfully PG-13 but still VERY disturbing. But that's my point, in the situation T'Pol was in the dream could have featured ANYONE. The fact it was Trip made the murder part dramatic and showcased the seriousness of the Trellium addiction. We all know T'Pol loves Trip even if they don't so the sex part wasn't important. The murder part was, and would have been even if it was Porthos. I'm not saying it wasn't a great scene even I really liked it for story purposes and shallow reasons too.

But you can't look at that dream and say "OK she really loves him because she's dreaming" that doesn't work. You can say "Wow T'Pol really loves him because she touches him in public when he cries for Lizzy."

Fics

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:41 pm

WarpGirl wrote:You can say "Wow T'Pol really loves him because she touches him in public when he cries for Lizzy."

When did she do that? In the hallway?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:47 pm

Yeah technically it's public even if nobody is around. Same thing for the famous kiss.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:54 pm

Aikiweezie wrote:I had a really bizarre dream a while back that I was pogo dancing with Barack Obama in a train car to "I Wanna Be Sedated" by the Ramones. Weird...... :dunno:

LOL. That's a keeper.

I'll grant you that in real life, sex dreams are bizarre and don't necessarily indicate anything except that your hormones and any subconscious issues are doing their thing in their usual wacko unpredictable way. But if I'm going to write a TV SCRIPT with a sex dream in it, I expect it to indicate something. Dreams in books and scripts are never random. She was clearly intrigued by Tolaris and what he was offering at some sexual level is my interpretation of that dream, even though I don't think love had anything to do with that. And she was clearly concerned about losing control and hurting Trip and by extension everybody in the other dream, ... but the fact that it was Trip and it was hot I think we can safely take as an indication of her interest in him.

I wouldn't call that corridor scene public, even if it is a corridor. But clearly T'Pol was reaching out to him, and yeah, it matters more than the dream. She had done something similar for Malcolm just the episode before, but she certainly hadn't touched him ... the vibe was completely different.
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:02 pm

I'll agree that in fiction 99.9% of the time dreams indictcate character motivation, and this time is no different. BUT I really think it's overrated. I mean Malcolm and Archer dream about T'Pol and all it meant was hormones (and idiocy on Archer's part) nothing real and concrete I don't think the sex part of the Trip dream necessarily has too mean anything if all of the other stuff hadn't happened.

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:04 pm

Alelou wrote:Hey, Trip never gets enough sleep as it is. I think a crewman has to get stuck with his laundry. I find it hard to believe the high-ranking officers have to do laundry on a real naval ship of any size, either. (Do they? Too bad neither of my grandfathers is around to answer this.)

Anyway, we already know T'Pol has sex dreams when she doesn't meditate, even though I'm sure we'd prefer to block out the ones with Tolaris in her bed (shudder).

I always suspected that sneaky Tolaris using his telepathic abilaties to mess with her mind and dream. He is such a creep.
Talking about laundry, I had once an idea for a laundry-fic, sort of secret meetings at the laundry room. :roll: Stupid idea. Just thought of a fic where Trips red sock is mixed with T'Pol white desert white suit. This would explain her pink outfit in season 2. Or a fic where Trip on purpose let her black carpet catsuit shrink in the laundry, so she has to find sometimes new to wear in season 3. :raspberry: :raspberry:
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:09 pm

Tolaris was totally screwing with poor T'Pol's mind literally. Oh Panysan if I didn't want you to finish Captives so bad I'd start nagging you for laundry stories. In reality though I think it's the Quatermaster's job to keep that stuff in shape. I mean they must have house keeping staff. But I don't like it.

Fics

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”