Kirk Vs Picard on Fanlib.com

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Kirk Vs Picard on Fanlib.com

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:14 am

So, cliched scenarios, huh? The -1701 (during the 5 year run) stumbles across the godlike alien of the week, and said GAotW tries to impress Kirk with its amazing godlike powers (unaware of the fact that Kirk ... can'tbe ... impressed!) Thus, GAotW summons forth Picard from the future, unwittingly interfering with the latest Q incident. Naturally, this infuriates Q and the two nigh-omnipotent aliens decide that they will delegate their discussion to proxies ... hence, a battle between Kirk and Picard. Now, naturally, both captains try to talk their way out of this, but Kirk gives up much sooner than Picard and attacks! Cue groovy TOS combat music! Kirk gets his shirt ripped while he beats up on the British-sounding Frenchman. Sulking at his defeat, Q rewrites history so that Kirk dies ignominiously instead of on the bridge of his ship fighting hordes of Klingons like he's supposed to...

Damn. Couldn't find a way to work in the holodeck...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:17 am

You need a Vulcan mindmeld also. Allllll good cliched Trek has a mindmeld or two.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:20 am

Well, I guess we could have ... heh ... just had a funny idea...

Addendum: Since Kirk never beams down alone, he's got Spock, McCoy and Ensign ... Smith, with him. Picard had Data, Dr. Crusher, and Worf. Once the mess starts, Spock tries to meld with Data, Kirk seduces Crusher, Smith gets killed when Worf looks at him funny, and McCoy grumbles about being a doctor not a magician.

Better?
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:53 am

^ At least your scenario keeps them in Character.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:56 am

I ... supposeyou ... have a ... reallygoodpoint ... CoffeeCat...

Laughing

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:03 am

Distracted wrote:Picard was like the teacher in a college classroom. He delegated and guided...and then stepped back and let everyone else do the work. Kirk stepped in and got his hands dirty... and usually shredded his shirt. The quartermaster must've really LOVED it when he went on an away mission. "Great... Time to put in another order for gold shirts!" Laughing

Effective leaders do deligate. To be brutally honest, Kirk didn't delegate, and I see that as a flaw in his character the same as I do with Archer for doing the same thing. Picard's problem was more the writer's problem in that they always gave Picard time to hold conferances all the time. But as Patton said, you nver tell someone how to do something, you tell them what needs to get done and they will amaze you with their inginuity. Wink

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:50 am

Hey, I never said delegation was a bad thing. I liked Picard.
Image sig by chrisis1033

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:54 pm

if he makes out with crusher, she's going to inevitably be destroyed in some sort of timetravel accident that casts her irretrievably out of his reach for ever.

Mind melding with Spock helps him through a rough spot of insomnia following this. Spock suggests they try his great-grandma T'Pol's neuropressure techniques....
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:30 pm

you're evil. Guffaw
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:37 pm

enterprikayak wrote:if he makes out with crusher, she's going to inevitably be destroyed in some sort of timetravel accident that casts her irretrievably out of his reach for ever.

Mind melding with Spock helps him through a rough spot of insomnia following this. Spock suggests they try his great-grandma T'Pol's neuropressure techniques....

At least "Grandma" - Sarek was actually born only 1 year after Trip faked his death and was genectically altered to pass as a Vulcan. He changed his name to Skon...
Writing as TrekPyro.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:40 pm

My entry's up. The criteria were unbelievably rigid. They basically outlined the story for us and we were told to dress it up a bit, but we had to do it in SCREENPLAY format (something I'd never done before in my life) and in 7500 characters or less INCLUDING SPACES. They actually have the submission software set up so it's impossible to submit anything longer. If it seems to resemble all of the other entries too much, that's why. The only originality permitted was in dialogue characterization and in the ancillary characters you managed to sneak in within the size limits of the entry. This was probabably the most difficult "fanfic" I've ever written, and I'm far from satisfied with it, but I did my best. BTW...based on the discussion section of the contest site, there are some professional screenwriters participating. Great. Rolling Eyes

Comments and constructive criticism would be welcome, most especially from any of you that know anything about screenplays.

From Time to Time
Image sig by chrisis1033

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:01 pm

Didn't even look at the rules yet, but...

SCREENPLAY FORMAT ???

Ack. I hate writing in screenplay format. Pretty demanding for half assed plot idea.

In other words: if i feel like smegging around with it later, they might get a submission from me.

That screenplay sh*t plus the TOS of the website makes me rather suspicious of their intent.
Writing as TrekPyro.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:35 pm

Frankly, I can't be bothered to spend my time and (lately sparse) creative energy on this. Nonetheless, I like what you've done with it. You've managed some good narrative-type details within the restrictive format.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:31 pm

Given the ludicrously tight constraints they forced on you, the story you produced was exceptional.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:08 am

Twisted Evil Hopefully I'll get to actually finish my entry in time... and let's just say my imagination is too wild to be suppressed like Vulcan emotions by an over-restrictive plot outline. Twisted Evil You close the door, you open a hell of a lot of windows. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Distracted I'm familiar with screenplay format, I haven't had the time to read your entry yet but just from scanning it I think you did a good job on the format, except that lines that the characters say aren't supposed to have like a paragraph break between them or between the lines and the character's name, only a line break (shift+enter) Smile so like what you wrote
KIRK (V.O.)

Captain's Log: Stardate 5934.4

The Enterprise has been given authority by the Federation Council to break its imposed quarantine and investigate reports of space-time anomalies near a planetary system we discovered two years ago. At least three ships have violated the quarantine and have been reported missing.

should actually look like this
KIRK (V.O.)
Captain's Log: Stardate 5934.4
The Enterprise has been given authority by the Federation Council to break its imposed quarantine and investigate reports of space-time anomalies near a planetary system we discovered two years ago. At least three ships have violated the quarantine and have been reported missing.

Because otherwise it's harder to tell (I mean just from formatting) what's the "descriptive" part of the script and what's lines. Well actually lines are really supposed to be like indented and stuff, but you can't indent in FanLib Confused

I think I like writing screenplay format better because that way I can just use my usual words that I would use to describe stuff in real life. I can write prose format but prose just like totally weirds me out coming out of me, I don't know because I don't really talk like that. I mean it's not like hard for me to write something in prose but what's hard for me is to bring myself to do that because to me it sounds like totally weird when it's something I write Confused Confused Confused Confused the only "prose" I ever wrote was my "Family, Take 2" fic that intentionally isn't on the descriptive side and is like 99% dialog. And well the "Endurance" microfic thingy which thankfully had to be too short for actual good descriptive prose Razz oh and my Pegasus/*the_abomination* parody installment which was a struggle because it was painful just to write all that weird sounding prose stuff Confused could have done better (prose-wise) but I was just constantly going like "WHUT??!! Why the frell would anyone use a sentence like that?!?!" Confused Confused Confused Laughing
ImageImage

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”