You know you're a Trek fan when . . .

Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: You know you're a Trek fan when . . .

Postby Aquarius » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:17 am

Oh, I know, and it's getting less weird as time goes. I threw my Writing About Literature class for a loop when they found out I was 40. A couple of gals I was sitting with today were talking about it--I laughed because I'm old enough to be the mom of, like, half the class! And they said to me, "Right, but you're cool. We can talk to you." I laughed even harder and explained that was probably because I *didn't* have kids their age, so I never had to grow up!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Never in my life have I actually been "cool." THAT was a unique experience!!!! :-p
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:26 am

Aquarius, here's a story for you. My friend returned after 15+ years and felt the same way. She then told me that one of her professors rushed through the material until she had to ask him to explain a few things. At first he was offended. He thought she was criticizing him but she continued to explain that she was having a lot of trouble following. The professor then went over the material. After that class, the "kids" came up to her and thanked her for speaking up. For a while they were asking her for advice and she instantly became everyone's best buddy.

I guess the moral of this story is that we forget how much self-confidence we gain with age. It may not seem like a lot when we're in very stressful situations but, I think, the older we are, the less intimidated we are than a kid in situations like these. In a way, it's kind of sad (for kids).

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:56 am

Aquarius wrote:Oh, I know, and it's getting less weird as time goes. I threw my Writing About Literature class for a loop when they found out I was 40. A couple of gals I was sitting with today were talking about it--I laughed because I'm old enough to be the mom of, like, half the class! And they said to me, "Right, but you're cool. We can talk to you." I laughed even harder and explained that was probably because I *didn't* have kids their age, so I never had to grow up!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Never in my life have I actually been "cool." THAT was a unique experience!!!! :-p
I can imagine your class mates think you're pretty cool. I think it's awesome that you went back to college and working so hard to make it work.

Little story related to the title of the thread: My family went for a vacaction and we didn't know if we had internet access in our appartement. We did, so when I looked up TRIS on the laptop, my daugther of six saw the banner of Trip and T'Pol. "O there they are!" she said. "I missed them. Where did you find them?" I am spending too much time on this site if my kids are missing TnT..... :lol:

In my household I am the one who's the TnT fan. My husband is a fan of doctor Who, Stargate and the one who introduced me to Star Trek. He once asked me, with a hint of jealousy - what I saw in the guy (he meant Trip.) I am actually more a fan of T'Pol, but I find so much in Trip that he shares (in his character) that isn't hard for me to like Trip.
When it comes to T'Pol - the most funniest conversation I had with my husband about T'Pol was when I told him that I read on a site (this one) that some one was a big fan of T'Pols bum. (Guess who.. :lol: ). Husband is the guy who yelled "Spandex" when he saw ST DS9's Kira's behind.
This time he pulled a face like he totally agreed, but thought this is not the sort of thing you tell your wife.
Me: "You think that as well. :vulcan: "
Husband (pleading look) "Yeah, she has a very nice bum."
I have to admit I am not free of jealousy when it come to him (I try not too, but I sure understand T'Pol :lol: ) - but I did found our talk very funny. Having him singing praises about my own in in the past sure helped.
So this in my family: four ST-fans in a row. 8)
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Aikiweezie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:29 pm

My husband is a "bum" man, and whenever he catches a glimpse of T'Pol he says "hubba hubba." :roll:

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:05 pm

Well, to be honest, the new avatar of Justripn of Trip is very distracting...
Love is a verb.

Pegmumm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Pegmumm » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:05 pm

I always enjoyed being the elder member of a class... the young people were great to be around... and easy to beat on exams.
I had the run of the school.
Loved it.
peg

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:04 pm

panyasan wrote:When it comes to T'Pol - the most funniest conversation I had with my husband about T'Pol was when I told him that I read on a site (this one) that some one was a big fan of T'Pols bum. (Guess who.. :lol: ).

Um, what... who!? *whistles innocently*

Your hubsbands have excellent taste in bums, Aikiweezie and panyasan! :twisted: :thumbsup:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:24 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Um, what... who!? *whistles innocently*

Your hubsbands have excellent taste in bums, Aikiweezie and panyasan! :twisted: :thumbsup:

Yeah, add another hubs to the list. In fact, he loves catching me on this forum, hoping to see one of your posts for the signature pics. Between that and (for someone that refuses to watch the series) he stops everything to see T'Pol draped across the captain's chair in the Mirror ep... :roll:

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 pm

:lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:09 pm

crystalswolf wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Um, what... who!? *whistles innocently*

Yeah, add another hubs to the list. In fact, he loves catching me on this forum, hoping to see one of your posts for the signature pics. Between that and (for someone that refuses to watch the series) he stops everything to see T'Pol draped across the captain's chair in the Mirror ep... :roll:

Good... good.... :badgrin:

If I ever get married I hope my wife will be as tolerant. :-p
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:42 am

Well fair is fair. When he watches soccer, mmm.... :drool:

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:42 pm

panyasan wrote:Well, to be honest, the new avatar of Justripn of Trip is very distracting...

LOL . . . I know. Makes it a little hard to concentrate on regular everyday things. Blame Alelou! :D
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:49 pm

LOL. I thought JT's last avatar was too dark. We need to see our boy well-lit!!!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:04 pm

Alelou wrote:... our boy well-lit!!!

That picture is a little bit of sunshine each day. 8)

Thank you both.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:15 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Your hubsbands have excellent taste in bums, Aikiweezie and panyasan! :twisted: :thumbsup:
:guffaw: Of course my husband has taste. He married me. :raspberry:
Love is a verb.

Return to “Other Trek”