Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

evcake
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Star Trek: the new movie.

Postby evcake » Mon May 11, 2009 4:00 am

:lol: I ain't had so much fun since the Empire struck back. :lol:
However: Vulcan costumes - ugh - hideous. What's with the ugly corsets?
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon May 11, 2009 1:50 pm

:hug: That's a hug for evcake, as in "Yippee!" :D
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon May 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Has anyone seen this in IMAX? I'm curious if it's worth the extra bucks. I read somewhere that they actually filmed it for IMAX. But I have a friend who saw Batman in IMAX and she said it just meant things curved weirdly.

Hopefully it wouldn't make me ill. Some of those camera angles definitely remind you you're in space, with no particular up or down... which BTW I thought was pretty cool.

And yes, Evcake, what is it with those corsets? Amanda looked like she had a bookshelf on her bosom!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon May 11, 2009 5:35 pm

Alelou wrote:And yes, Evcake, what is it with those corsets? Amanda looked like she had a bookshelf on her bosom!
I did a double-take at that. Hardly logical, methinks.

I did like Winona Ryder as Amanda.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Mon May 11, 2009 7:12 pm

But the tabi-sock boots of the Romulans: cool.

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon May 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Alelou wrote:Has anyone seen this in IMAX? I'm curious if it's worth the extra bucks. I read somewhere that they actually filmed it for IMAX. But I have a friend who saw Batman in IMAX and she said it just meant things curved weirdly.

Ii did! :D

Yeah, I thought it was worth it, for the special effects and stuff. I didn't see any weird screen bowing or anything, but then we were perfectly centered in the back row, so maybe that's something you get if you sit off to the side? Or maybe individual mileage varies from theater to theater?
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu May 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Well, I am finally going to see the movie tonight. My writer's group (there are three of us, sometimes four) decided to humor me and go see it with me with only a brief meeting before hand to exchange stories to review or talk about writing. What great pals!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri May 15, 2009 3:24 pm

I enjoyed the movie! Seeing new actors reprise the origninal TOS crew was a hoot. There were enough familiar references to old TOS that made me smile, even laugh.

SPOILER!!!:
The reference to archer and Porthos made me laugh, but poor Porthos! I think Nero was a Reman, right? That whole part about why he was out for revenge was strange and kinda vaugue. It was good to see old and young Spock, but I see this as an AU story. Will the next movie continue with this story and maybe press the magic reset button somehow so we get Vulcan back? Ten thousand Vulcans left? It's sort of like the ENT episode where earth is distroyed and the humans are few and hiding. They have to destroy something special in each of these movies, don't they? Like one of the Enterprises or kill off a major character and bring them back in the next movie. :?

The pace was modern manic - like a video game that my grandchildren would like. There were few quiet scenes. The battle scenes went by so fast that I didn't see any detail but the large screen and the loud audio make one big psychadelic wash of color, motion and destruction, don't they? Some of that is okay but when it is done for most of the movie it gets a bit overwhelming for this old gal.

I am glad this movie is making money and getting good reviews. It makes me have a slight hope that maybe they will do an ENT movie or mini series (with Trip alive!) which will show the formation of the Federation like the series would have done in the canceled last three years of ENT.

Oh, I was disapointed that this movie did not have more Starfleet Academy scenes but I enjoyed the ship scenes greatly. I think I will have to rewatch this movie several times to keep my head from swimming with the finer plot points.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Fri May 15, 2009 4:49 pm

:lol: Personally, I need to see it again Right Away. :lol:

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri May 15, 2009 4:51 pm

Yep, me too. And my kid is nagging me as well. And even the cable guy saw that I'd printed out a picture for my son and started raving about it...
Image.Image

vero3110
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby vero3110 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:12 am

I went too. With my brother and his kids who are 14, 8 and 7. The kids know I like Enterprise and sometimes one of them would stay a little while I'm watching an episode.

I liked the movie. But they LOVED it. Want to see it again, want to see the next movies and the old ones. Even my Enterprise DVDs entered the conversation and TOS chapters as well.

This kids had no idea of Spock or Kirk. It's been decades since our local TV had TOS on.

If this is the response of kids around the globe, I think we'll have more AU STAR TREK for years to come, which is OK with me.

But I have to tell you, one of the first thoughts I had while sitting there at the movies was: If it only were an Enterprise movie...

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Sat May 16, 2009 12:52 pm

The Beastie Boys Rule and now, they're prophets.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat May 16, 2009 12:55 pm

Hoo boy.
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun May 17, 2009 12:07 am

thecursor wrote:The Beastie Boys Rule and now, they're prophets.

Between the actual "Sabatoge" video, and now this, this song is now in my TOP TEN!! :D :lol:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Sun May 17, 2009 12:52 am

The best canon explanation I think of is that the Beastie Boys are time travelers. Period. Possibly even representatives of the Q continuum, bustin' rhymes that reveal the secrets of the universe. Now that I think about it, "Fight for your Right to Party" sounds like a warning about the Borg.

Or...it's an oversight.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Return to “Other Trek”