Necessity

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Necessity

Postby Asso » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:42 pm

Please, my friends, do not think I'm guilty of immodesty if I thought I had to open this thread.
Simply, I felt necessity to explain my ideas and my perceptions about angst and AU stories in light of what I have read on "New Fanfic Up" thread (where I don't think it's good thing that I express my opinions about these matters) and in light of the many comments I found on my last story (and, about which, all I can do, it's to thank everyone, very gratefully).

First: ANGST.
I don't like angst, this is a fact. But, in reality, what annoys me it's "Gratuitous Angst", as not few times I said. In other words, when I see Trip and T'Pol dance around each other inanely and aimlessly, uniquely to keep on the disruptive angst we saw on the show, frankly I twist my nose.
Break apart these two, conclusively and finally (even if I, obviously, don't like that), or put them together, and that's enough.
Then, there’s another angst I don’t like. I feel almost angry when I see Trip and T'Pol in situations clearly built in order to make them (and readers) ill at ease. I feel betrayed and offended. This way to act and to write is gratis agonizing. Still obviously, this is my opinion.
But when angst is intrinsic to the facts and to the story, that's another thing.
In E2 Universe there is a natural angst, and it is the angst due to the fact that Trip dies. Trip dies when he and T'Pol are in love, and when T'Pol accepted this love.
I can bear that. It's a fact of life. This angst isn't gratuitous, not at all. So, not only I can like this angst, but I'm able to write about it.
And so we are at second issue.

Second: AU stories.
I don't like personally AU stories, or, rather, I don't like the multiplying of them in Fanfic. That seems to me an easy way to write whatever we want to write. Oh... please, pay attention: when I find something able to go beyond the stupid end (which doesn't exist!) of the show, I don't feel personally this as an AU story. I'm talking about, actually, about AU stories which tend to narrate the endless amount of other possibilities in the chaos of our still chaotic Universe. This doesn't mean that many beautiful stories can exist made in this way, but I think (still my opinion) that it exists a great amount of possibilities to write beautiful stories trying to straighten things out in our RU.
Now, and here we are at the point, Is E2 Universe a real AU? Technically speaking, yes, it is an AU. But, in reality, it is another face of our Universe. It is a time twist. And, listen to me, it is a time twist where Trip and T'Pol found themselves. True, Trip dies, - I said that - but he and T'Pol love each other, finally, as it has to be (still in my opinion).
So, my friends, you can see that I didn't betray myself, when I wrote my latest story. I still was writing about my Universe and about my personal beliefs and perceptions, and, as for that, I think you are able to detect the "Fil Rouge" of my writing: since "the abomination" doesn't exist, after the entwined hands of Trip and T'Pol on the last true episode of the series, their marriage and their happiness are perfectly logical, as in E2 Universe.
Just so. Because in the E2 Universe they are married and in happiness. Trip death doesn't contrast that.

One last thing.

I think I have to explain that my style is my own, that's true, as the style of every other writer. It can be enjoyed or it cannot be, but, for me, it can't be always the same. Many of my dear readers got surprised not only that I managed angst, but also that I wasn't "long", that I was "concise".
Well... there are times to be "long" and “repetitious”, and there are times to be "short" and "concise".
My latest story needed to be "short" and "concise".
Excuse me, my friends, for this "long" and "repetitious” thread.
Forgive me for my “immodesty” to write all this.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Necessity

Postby honeybee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:56 pm

My dear friend, Asso. I've just finished a Twilight-universe "fix" that is heavy on angst and crazy with the AU. Watch for it. Or Avoid it as you wish. I completely enjoyed playing with the canon AU. I was actually inspired by the lively debate about Twilight on this board. It was also my first real attempt at angst, but I tried to earn the angst. I hate unearned angst - but when it feels organic to the story - then it can really work.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:02 pm

honeybee wrote:...I hate unearned angst - but when it feels organic to the story - then it can really work.

That's exactly what I wanted to mean.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:31 pm

OK Asso, thanks for adressing this, because honestly I was like "What?" I have to admit some of your statements seem very vague. For example, this one...I feel almost angry when I see Trip and T'Pol in situations clearly built in order to make them (and readers) ill at ease.

What exactly do you mean by "Ill at ease" that's really ambiguous. Got an example?

This one is really confusing to me about AU... That seems to me an easy way to write whatever we want to write. Um yeah it is. But the point of ALL fanfic is to write what we want, whether it be about actual episodes, or just a new story. But I prefer that and accurate characterization. Besides, Sometimes a good idea is a good idea.

Anyway I liked your new effort. It was easier to read than your usual fare, and I liked that it was short.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:40 pm

I don't like unnatural angst. What kind of angst do I like?
There is a scene, written by Rigil Kent, that will serve as example. In the scene T'Pol and other Starfleet person is captured by a slave trader. T'Pol and this other person are hanged to the wall and the slave trader is touching T'Pol in an improper way. T'Pol is disgusted by his action and thinks that no way is going to let Trip know about this, because he would be fuming with anger. Then T'Pol gets the head of the slave trader and with a mind meld forces him to let go. Slave trader falls to the floor - T'Pol and other person escape and are rescued by Trip and others from Starfleet.
I like this kind of angst for three reasons:
1. T'Pols actions and thoughts: I think that T'Pol is a private person who does take intimate touch and her relationship with Trip very seriously, also she shares a telepatic bond with Trip, so the fact that T'Pol is disgusted with being touched by another man is for me totally in character. Also her trying to shield Trip form this experience, shows her deep love. The fact that Trip would be fuming with rage when he founds out - also a natural reaction to me.
2. T'Pol and Trip are not victims that roll over, they take actions to change their situation. They keep their dignity. (I firmly believe both Trip and T'Pol have a strong moral code which is on the background of this scene.)
3. T'Pol and Trip are not fighting each other, but fighting together, drawing one line. I don't expect their relationship to be all without miscommunication, misunderstanding or fights, what I like to see is a relationship of trust and the feeling of helping each other.

About your style, Asso. In the beginning I could hear the Italian melody in your writing, sometimes I compare it with opera (Verdi) and I applaud you to do develop futher and to try different things and styles. You will notice that sometimes people like certain things better (different taste), sometimes comments make you think and develop your style, sometimes not.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:47 pm

panyasan wrote:I don't like unnatural angst. What kind of angst do I like?
There is a scene, written by Rigil Kent, that will serve as example. In the scene T'Pol and other Starfleet person is captured by a slave trader. T'Pol and this other person are hanged to the wall and the slave trader is touching T'Pol in an improper way. T'Pol is disgusted by his action and thinks that no way is going to let Trip know about this, because he would be fuming with anger. Then T'Pol gets the head of the slave trader and with a mind meld forces him to let go. Slave trader falls to the floor - T'Pol and other person escape and are rescued by Trip and others from Starfleet.
I like this kind of angst for three reasons:
1. T'Pols actions and thoughts: I think that T'Pol is a private person who does take intimate touch and her relationship with Trip very seriously, also she shares a telepatic bond with Trip, so the fact that T'Pol is disgusted with being touched by another man is for me totally in character. Also her trying to shield Trip form this experience, shows her deep love. The fact that Trip would be fuming with rage when he founds out - also a natural reaction to me.
2. T'Pol and Trip are not victims that roll over, they take actions to change their situation.
3. T'Pol and Trip are not fighting each other, but fighting together, drawing one line. I don't expect their relationship to be all without miscommunication, misunderstanding or fights, what I like to see is a relationship of trust and the feeling of helping each other.

About your style, Asso. In the beginning I could hear the Italian melody in your writing, sometimes I compare it with opera (Verdi) and I applaud you to do develop futher and to try different things and styles. You will notice that sometimes people like certain things better (different taste), sometimes comments make you think and develop your style, sometimes not.

No thing could be added. I agree totally.

WarpGirl wrote:...Anyway I liked your new effort. It was easier to read than your usual fare, and I liked that it was short.

I think your words are the better explanation for your questions to me.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Angst with me is something that is very serious. For me if something angsty is happening it had better be for a dang good reason. And it better be handled seriously, although it's not a cliche for many writers to have the same situations (like capture) but it is a cliche to make it like a formula. A writer better put some "soul" into it. Properly done angst can be beautiful, and a joy to read.

I think your words are the better explanation for your questions to me.

You're confusing me again. My words? What did I say?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:59 pm

WrpGirl, you said:

Anyway I liked your new effort. It was easier to read than your usual fare, and I liked that it was short[.

I felt my last effort good, but it wasn't my own path. You liked what I feel not as good as what I wrote before.
Why? Because, you, WarpGirl, don't like what I like. But that's good. Here we say: "Not everything tastes like mint".
Therefore it's impossible to suit all tastes. ;-)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:05 pm

Yeah I'm just going to stay confused OK. But for the record, I didn't just like it because it was different than usual. I liked it because it was good. And sometimes your longer stories are hard for me to understand because my native language is English not Italian.

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:11 pm

Mh... do not you think the one who has to be confused about language should be me?

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:18 pm

I hate Angst. Especially Angst for Angst's sake.

One reason I like Asso's writing is that he respects the characters of Trip and T-Pol
It is easy to write a tory where T-Pol is abused and Trip finds out about it. boiler Plate. but ASSO wites his Characters and sutuations with originality. I like the Anology that ASSO's writing reminds of a Verdi Opera. It does. I love Verdi. In all of his lyric Operas you can see the Gondolas going by and the gondoliers singing. So with ASSO's writings they are lyric and Beautiful. Full or harmony and lovely music. I so much prefer that to Gratuitous Angst.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Not necessarily Asso. Sometimes the translation of another language into English is more hard for the person who speaks English. For example this sentence,
I feel almost angry when I see Trip and T'Pol in situations clearly built in order to make them (and readers) ill at ease.

I still don't know what you mean by "Ill at ease" for me it could mean something like shyness, or having a pair of jeans that are too tight, or just being uncomfortable. I'm sure you have an Italian word that explains it perfectly. But I'm not getting your meaning. It happens sometimes when you read stories by people who speak a different language. Any language. I mean I'm sure some English, particularly American expressions can get confusing for somebody who isn't from America or a native English speaker.

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:32 pm

Silverbullet wrote:I hate Angst. Especially Angst for Angst's sake.

One reason I like Asso's writing is that he respects the characters of Trip and T-Pol
It is easy to write a tory where T-Pol is abused and Trip finds out about it. boiler Plate. but ASSO wites his Characters and sutuations with originality. I like the Anology that ASSO's writing reminds of a Verdi Opera. It does. I love Verdi. In all of his lyric Operas you can see the Gondolas going by and the gondoliers singing. So with ASSO's writings they are lyric and Beautiful. Full or harmony and lovely music. I so much prefer that to Gratuitous Angst.

My dear friend, I'm very proud for your appreciation. I know you and I are on the same wavelength, but, - what do you want? - as I said "Not everything tastes like mint." :D

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:37 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Not necessarily Asso. Sometimes the translation of another language into English is more hard for the person who speaks English. For example this sentence,
I feel almost angry when I see Trip and T'Pol in situations clearly built in order to make them (and readers) ill at ease.

I still don't know what you mean by "Ill at ease" for me it could mean something like shyness, or having a pair of jeans that are too tight, or just being uncomfortable. I'm sure you have an Italian word that explains it perfectly. But I'm not getting your meaning. It happens sometimes when you read stories by people who speak a different language. Any language. I mean I'm sure some English, particularly American expressions can get confusing for somebody who isn't from America or a native English speaker.

I think my sentence can be understood. I don't like byzantinisms, even if I'm Italian. A little effort is enough.
Sorry for the double post.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:44 pm

WOW! OK... I was perfectly sincere. I truly don't understand what you meant. I wasn't trying to be offensive.

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”