How do I know Trip Had a Graduate Degree?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: How do I know Trip Had a Graduate Degree?

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Da vincie? That is pretty rare company. Da vinci was a man out of his time. He was light years ahead of the era he lived in. If Trip is equal to Da Vinci He is wasted as Chief Engineer he should be heading Engineering for all of Starfleet and have a home workshop where he turns out invetions by the day or at least advanced ideas.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:23 pm

Double post.

"Beng a genius sucks"

Okay everyone with a Genius level I.Q. hold up their hand. Lets see, WG. aardarshinah, me. who else?

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:42 pm

*shrugs* according to the tests, I'm one, but I really wish I weren't. I makes this whole constant failure thing kinda annoying. It's my own fault, I know, 'cause I expect people to be on the same level I am, and, eventually, I just kinda gave up on the traditional schooling. Anything I want to learn I teach myself now.

But, in Trek, a lot of people are geniuses (genii if you want to be really correct). Kirk. Spock. Scotty. Checkov. Hoshi (or would she be a language prodigy?). Trip.... maybe that makes it easier.

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:08 pm

I always imagine Trip as having a tiny office that he only uses if he needs to pull aside a member of his team for a private chat. He might also use it store things like an extra uniform or some snacks so that he doesn't have to leave engineering for things like that. Since he's a bit of an insomniac, I bet he does most of the boring paperwork in his quarters at night. I have an idea for a series of stories from early in the series (right after "Breaking the Ice") where Trip and T'Pol get to know each other a little better by sitting together in the mess hall doing administrative stuff. I could see Trip being able to get his paperwork done in the midst of a noisy engineering room or the mess hall. I'm fairly introverted, but I can completely tune out the noise around me when I'm focused on work.

And I agree that the man is clearly a genius who just doesn't make a big deal about it. I also agree that by nature he's an introvert, but he's not shy. (Shy and introverted are not necessarily synonymous!)

(This is completely unrelated, but for some reason I just watched "Terra Nova." Ugh. What a terrible episode!)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:21 pm

Misplaced wrote:
WarpGirl wrote:Well trust me you can dance on table tops, and wear loud clothes, and still not want to open up to people. I don't dance on table tops because I'd break my pretty neck, but I would if I could, that does not mean I bear my soul and emotions to other people. However Trip's taste in shirts is hideous. There is no other way to put it. :-p

I totally agree he's the guy that people would go to with problems both professionally and personally. But really what better way to avoid opening up to people then by being too busy making them open up to you. That and being a workaholic, insomniac helps out with avoidence nicely as well.

I tend to give T'Pol a little more credit in her day-to-day people managment skills. But I'm certain Trip does pick up any slack. Also I tend to agree that he doesn't micro-manage engineering because he was... A. choosey about his staff, so he knows what they're capable of, B. he trusts them to be loyal to him because he is loyal to them. That said because he is a raging workaholic, and he likes his job. I think he definitely works himself to the bone. But it's because he loves doing it, its his passion. Okay one of his passions...

About Trip's genius, I equate him to Da Vinci.

I agree with this 100%

Awe Stop Misplaced I'll die of embarrassment! :oops:

aadarshinah wrote:Quite possibly, but da Vinci could paint and no one - no one - with artistic talent would choose shirts like Trip's. I'm 99% confident on that.

Well Trip's mother did want him to be an architect. And frankly out of all his talents, Da Vinci's greatest was not art. Personally, I just put Trip down as just no taste. You don't need fashion sense to be an artist. Trust me I know. That said, I think Trip's mind works like Da Vinci's did, he's so curious, and an enginerring phenom. He hinted at it in his love of complex music, and such things.

SliverBullet wrote:Da vincie? That is pretty rare company. Da vinci was a man out of his time. He was light years ahead of the era he lived in. If Trip is equal to Da Vinci He is wasted as Chief Engineer he should be heading Engineering for all of Starfleet and have a home workshop where he turns out invetions by the day or at least advanced ideas.

Okay everyone with a Genius level I.Q. hold up their hand. Lets see, WG.

1. I can totally see Trip developing into the theoretical brain of Engineering as he gets older. Now he's young he wants adventure. When he settles down has a family, who knows...

2. Where did you ever get the idea I had a genius IQ? :guffaw:

Brandyjane wrote:(This is completely unrelated, but for some reason I just watched "Terra Nova." Ugh. What a terrible episode!)

I fell asleep during that one and I rarely sleep!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:53 pm

I know this is OT, but speaking of geniuses, I shared this bit of shocking revelation with Ann the other day - week or so ago, my orbital mechanics prof was talking about Newton and recounting his many, MANY accomplishments (inventing differential and integral calculus, defining the laws of motion, the laws of optics, defining buoyancy, fluid dynamics, atomic nature of matter), when he started in about how his publication Optiks about, of course, optics, had a section in the back of "Inquiries" in which he listed out several propositions or claims for future development that he had either not the time or the empirical evidence to prove.

Two of them essentially covered that he had deduced that "light" (contemporary perception of 'energy') and 'Objects' (mass) were interchangeable; another was that he had observed astronomically that massive objects (the sun) could bend light . So.... he hypothesized special and general relativity 200 years before Einstein :faint:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:04 pm

Man, we're all so dumb. :lol:
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:08 pm

Well, we may not be Newton-smart, but we can logic out things like the existance of graduate degrees, so we have to have something going for us. Common sense is often a lot more practically useful than genius.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:42 pm

Newton RULES.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:07 am

aardashinah, where di you get your new Avatar and what is it. T'Pol?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:11 am

I don't know where she got it, but that's not our Vulcan lovely, that my dear SB is a Romulan lovely! Unless I miss my guess, the Romulan lovely from Nemises... But that said, where did you get it?????????? I need to find a cool avatar.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:18 am

It's the lovely Dina Meyer :drool: who unfortunately was uglied-up for Nemesis. Imagine how she'd look with no damn forehead ridges and her natural long hair, plus ached eyebrows and pointy ears...

I'll be in my bunk!
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:20 am

:oops: I thought she looked appropriately hot for a Rommie.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:32 am

I'm not a genius, and I'm becoming even less of one every frickin' day.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:22 am

Silverbullet wrote:aardashinah, where di you get your new Avatar and what is it. T'Pol?

It's Commander Denatra from Nemisis. Wanted something new, and googled a few things, than added some creative framing to make it more interesting than the whole pic is. It's the part where she's just left the senate and turning back to look through the doors, somewhere in the middle of the movie.

I think it says something about society that, while a lot of the main charectors in Trek are geniuses, this fact is rarely commented upon. Not sure what, but it definately says something...

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”