Why MU T'Pol...

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Why MU T'Pol...

Postby Asso » Fri May 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Well, well, well. This Mirror Universe is really a mess.
But, to back on the topic... our MU T'Pol, what the hell she found in Trip? And, in all honesty, do not you perceive as a little contrived and forced the way she acted?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri May 20, 2011 9:38 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. The whole MU was "contrived and forced".
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 20, 2011 9:40 pm

Distracted wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "nice", but if everyone in the MU is constitutionally incapable of mercy and compassion then I certainly would agree with you.

Okay, say I had to run someone off the road to avoid hitting a kid in the street, and that person broke their leg. I willingly made the choice to do something that caused that person injury. Now it might have been for a "good reason" from my POV but the person's leg is still busted up. Now I would be wracked with guilt and remorse and do everything I could to make it up to the person I hurt.

Now T'Pol willingly made the choice to hurt Trip for what she considered the "greater good" (and I agree with her) however, unlike me she's not remorseful, and she saw no reason to even attempt to making it up to Trip. She's not "nice" like me. But then neither is Trip, their enviornment doesn't allow them to develop those qualities.

Asso wrote:Well, well, well. This Mirror Universe is really a mess.
But, to back on the topic... our MU T'Pol, what the hell she found in Trip? And, in all honesty, do not you perceive as a little contrived and forced the way she acted?

You're making this too complicated Dear it's easy... Trip was HOT, interested, and available. And the fact that he was second in command made him the ideal person for her to manipulate into her agenda.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri May 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Well, about waht you said, Dis, you know I can't help but be in complete agreement with you. However, in the sea of 'contrived and forced things' that MU is, the way of acting on T'Pol's part seemed a little more 'forced and contrived', in my mind.

WarpGirl wrote:
Asso wrote:Well, well, well. This Mirror Universe is really a mess.

You're making this too complicated Dear it's easy... Trip was HOT, interested, and available. And the fact that he was second in command made him the ideal person for her to manipulate into her agenda.

Mh, no. Maybe I am inclined to make things too much complicated, but you tend to make them a little too much easy
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri May 20, 2011 10:04 pm

If by "forced and contrived" you mean that the way the authors wrote the character seemed out-of-character for T'Pol, I guess that depends on whether you think of MU T'Pol as having a completely different personality than RU T'Pol or not. I prefer to think of them as distinct and separate individuals. From that point of view, since "In a Mirror. Darkly I" was the first episode we'd ever seen her in, I figure the writers could write the character however they wanted to. Even badly, if they so desired.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 20, 2011 10:13 pm

Asso wrote:Mh, no. Maybe I am inclined to make things too much complicated, but you tend to make them a little too much easy

Well that's an about face, usually you tell me I'm too complicated too!

Dis You really think they're two different T'Pol's? Hmmm. I've never thought of the people in any of the MU's to be "different" they live completely different lives, but they're still the same people. But then some people do believe that it's our experiences that determine who we are. I'm not sure I believe that or not. I've been wrestling with that particular philisophical question for quite a while now.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri May 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Distracted wrote:I prefer to think of them as distinct and separate individuals. From that point of view, since "In a Mirror. Darkly I" was the first episode we'd ever seen her in, I figure the writers could write the character however they wanted to. Even badly, if they so desired.

I think that's it exactly.

The MU episode in each series is a chance for the writers and actors to play around. They don't have to worry about continuity because we've never seen any of them before and we'll never see them again. They don't have to worry about whether anything people do makes sense because these are not the people we know - they're different people who just happen to look the same. So there is a question of how different they are, because clearly they're not similar in all respects but they're also not opposites in all respects. So I think each writer can make them as similar or as different as they choose.

For what it's worth, the stories I find most interesting to read show them as essentially the same people but placed in a much harsher situation. But to be honest I don't think that's true of the MU episodes we saw on the show. They acted in ways that seem to me to be fundamentally different to their RU counterparts. As far as I see, these are NOT the same people. And that's why I find the MU episodes rather dull and uninteresting. I don't know these people; why should I care what happens to any of them?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 20, 2011 10:17 pm

Well like I said, I haven't figured out if our experiences determine who we are or not. So I just go with the flow!

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri May 20, 2011 10:21 pm

WarpGirl wrote:
Asso wrote:Mh, no. Maybe I am inclined to make things too much complicated, but you tend to make them a little too much easy

Well that's an about face, usually you tell me I'm too complicated too!

Touché! :D

WarpGirl wrote:Dis You really think they're two different T'Pol's? Hmmm. I've never thought of the people in any of the MU's to be "different" they live completely different lives, but they're still the same people. But then some people do believe that it's our experiences that determine who we are. I'm not sure I believe that or not. I've been wrestling with that particular philisophical question for quite a while now.

Hey! What the hell is happening? You and me in agreement? Well, almost. I think we are what we are, even if our experience has its weigh, but about the 'two different T'Pol'... no, in my mind they are the two faces of one identical person. Or, at least, I would like to believe, because in this case...

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 20, 2011 10:26 pm

Asso careful I might feel unwanted! :lol:

Here's my problem with the idea that everyone is an entirely different person in the MU. Let's suppose I was born whole and healthy and never set foot in a hospital. Am I still me? Well good-golly miss molly I HOPE SO! I mean yeah I have been in some pretty crappy circumstances and made some pretty crappy decisions. But I hope that it doesn't determine my personality. I'd like to think my compassion and my temper are all my own and not the products of chance. You know what I mean?

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri May 20, 2011 10:30 pm

PERFECTLY.
Okay. Today you and I seem... the two faces of a same person. :evillol:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Okay now that's just creepy! :roll:

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri May 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Oh come on! I am not so bad! 8)

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Fri May 20, 2011 10:44 pm

:lol:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Who said you were Asso? Maybe I was referring to myself!

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”