Challenge Idea

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Challenge Idea

Postby panyasan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:10 pm

Kotik wrote:Well with me being a non-native speaker, there'll always be a lot to correct. German has a tendency for very long and strung out sentences. It often shows in my writing :? It's also difficult, because I prefer the british spelling (behaviour, honour etc.) so I often have to correct a lot.
My English sentence structure sucks. BAD. For some reason my English teacher at high school didn't expect me to write fan fic in the future, so we had few lessons in writing English. So it's my beta's, they make my stories readable. ;-) Hooray for beta's. :hug:
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

ginamr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Show On Map: No

Postby ginamr » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:41 pm

LOL. I didn't start using military time til i started roleplaying at 17. Plus having a beau in the navy helped :D Hey, even i miss on little things grammar wise and beat my head against a wall for it later. :banghead:
New:
Coming Home: Five+Epilogue
6.06: Fall Out

Under Construction:
The Prank War 2
Secret Meetings, Story Two--Wet
6.07: Vestiges of Qualor
Coming This Christmas (December 2012): White Christmas
Hybrid: Prologue & Chapter One--Inspired by Aquarius's "Tag" challenge.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:43 pm

I always had a thing for grammar, but never really got it until I started taking Latin classes. Nothing helps you diagram a sentance or use the indirect object correctly like having Latin declinations drilled into your head...

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:46 pm

Really true.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:01 pm

Yeah I took two year of Latin in high school. It was better for learning English sentence structure than my regular English class was. Too bad it didn't help with my comma usage. But then that got turned upside down in college when almost all of my professors took to correcting my commas and they all seemed to conflict on their advice.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:05 pm

pdsldl wrote:...But then that got turned upside down in college when almost all of my professors took to correcting my commas and they all seemed to conflict on their advice.

Equally really true. :lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:07 pm

aadarshinah wrote:I always had a thing for grammar, but never really got it until I started taking Latin classes. Nothing helps you diagram a sentance or use the indirect object correctly like having Latin declinations drilled into your head...

I was taking latin classes for years and while having a bit of a knack for languages (I speak English,Russian and Dutch fluently) I only remember a single sentence in Latin, that's right - a single bloody sentence.

Romani fabulas de Romulo Remoque narratas amabant, sed verae non sunt. 8)

I remember that our Latin teacher was so old, he could have been an eye-witness. :lol:

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:08 pm

Commas are annoying things. Even in English classes taught in English-speaking countries, they freely admit the rules are kind of flexible. You've got to put them after every item in a series, but they don't nessicarily have to go between the final two if there's a conjunction there... Usually you have to use them to seperate certain clauses, but not always... it's a mess. My favourite is the semicolin, which no one ever bothers to address... John Irving devotes like 3 whole pages to disccusion of them in, oh, I think it's The World According to Garp. But I love them. They show I've been to college :lol:

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Kotik wrote:I only remember a single sentence in Latin, that's right - a single bloody sentence.

Romani fabulas de Romulo Remoque narratas amabant, sed verae non sunt. 8)

He was speaking of Star Trek.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:42 pm

Kotik wrote:I was taking latin classes for years and while having a bit of a knack for languages (I speak English,Russian and Dutch fluently)
Ai, dan moet ik oppassen wat ik zeg op dit forum. ;-)
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:47 pm

panyasan wrote:
Kotik wrote:I was taking latin classes for years and while having a bit of a knack for languages (I speak English,Russian and Dutch fluently)
Ai, dan moet ik oppassen wat ik zeg op dit forum. ;-)

goede idee :lol:

EntAllat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Google Talk: EntAllat

Postby EntAllat » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:25 pm

I've got too much going on right now to volunteer in good faith to write a Chapter (even if it's small) but I am willing to beta if needed and I can provide a quick turn around.

Question: what is 'gamma' as it relates to reviewing a story before it goes out?

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:27 pm

EntAllat wrote:Question: what is 'gamma' as it relates to reviewing a story before it goes out?

A misunderstanding between me and Distracted. I though said she wanted to beta a chapter after I was done betaing it, and so a second beta in my mind became a "gamma" - you know: alpha, beta, gamma, delta...

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:32 pm

It's just as well, actually, since I found stuff to fix. :D
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”