The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: Misplacedmama

Re: Status and Support

Postby Misplaced » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:46 pm

bluetiger wrote:Off Topic...panyasan the avatar looks great. Misplaced did a wonderful job :happyjump:

Now continue and pretend I wasn't here. :raspberry:

Aw shucks... I didn't do much other than crop it and tweak the contrast. You get full credit for making the awesome drawing in the first place! :thumbsup:
Officially retired from writing Trek fanfiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:58 pm

pdsldl wrote:
Misplaced WarpGirl... I dunno about writing fanfic being easier than original fiction. I used to think that too, but sometimes I feel confined by writing characters and worlds that were established by someone else. There are days that it's much easier to work on the characters I created from scratch as well as the environment that they live in. ;)

I agree that sometimes it's harder when you're boxed in by canon and the personalities traits given to your characters by other people. It makes for some challenging work arounds when your characters end up in places or situations you weren't expecting and then you have to keep them in character as best you can and move them forward. The quick appearances of OC's is easy but building the background etc of a new character that has a major impact on the plot takes time and thought.

Again I wasn't thinking in terms of easy or hard in those terms. I agree that it's hard to be "boxed in" in pre-determined rolls, personalities, and worlds. However... While people may hate how you see TnT or something you've done to them in terms of putting them in a situation... Nobody is going to hate the characters. When writing oringinal fiction or an OC those people an plots are entirely on you, and the pressure for me is much more intense than when I'm writing fic.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:28 am

New status update from crazy-central:

It's official. Someone definitely sold me a rotten year :cry: My "mystery illness" turned out to be food poisoning. It appears that not all mushrooms, which I bought in the supermarket 3 weeks ago were actually edible :wtf: and I ended up being poisoned. Let's just say, they had a rather unpleasant visit from the public health agency last week...

So that's two times cracked ribs, a mugging and a case of food poisoning all in one year. I think I'm officially effed :shock:

Back to the status update. Since I'm able to eat solid food again as of 24 hours ago, I'll resume work on the second part of "Broken Bow", which was planned to be completed some 4 weeks ago.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:32 am

Oh now it all makes sense! Mushrooms do to you, what onions do to me. Well I'm kind of relieved. And seriously dude I can top your year six ways from sunday how about 4 near death experiences in one month in the year 2007. Truly you got it good. Now, no more pity party your squad is ready to work!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:47 am

I suspect that poisonous mushrooms would do to anyone what they did to Kotik. I'm glad you're okay, Kotik. :shock: It's really astonishing that a supermarket would make that big of a mistake.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:59 am

Was it a bacteria on the mushrooms or was the species actually a toxic one, Kotik? Some species of mushrooms can cause liver damage when you eat them. You should see your doctor and have bloodwork done if the mushrooms were actually an inedible variety and not just contaminated with E. coli or some other bug. People have died of liver failure after eating certain toxic mushroom species, and the damage is very slow sometimes, over several weeks.
Image sig by chrisis1033

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:48 pm

Kotik, I feel sorry! :hug: Sounds like there is nowhere to go but up from this horrible month.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:06 pm

Kotik, were I you I would take Distracteds advice. Get a complete workup just to be safe. She is a Doctor and knows about these things. Better safe than sorry.

Take care of yourself.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:27 pm

Distracted wrote:Was it a bacteria on the mushrooms or was the species actually a toxic one, Kotik? Some species of mushrooms can cause liver damage when you eat them. You should see your doctor and have bloodwork done if the mushrooms were actually an inedible variety and not just contaminated with E. coli or some other bug. People have died of liver failure after eating certain toxic mushroom species, and the damage is very slow sometimes, over several weeks.

The mushrooms were Agaricus, a poisoneous variety of it. That very supermarket has a reputation for cutting corners, when it saves money. I never believed it until I found out the painfull way :? The public health agency has closed it two days ago. It turned out, they found rotten food in there by the truck load :shock:

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:56 pm

poor Kotik! I'd wondered where you'd disappeared to! And for it to be mushrooms too! Hopefully your year gets better. statically, it has to.

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Misplaced » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Boy, Kotik! :( Sorry that you went through that!

EntAllat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Google Talk: EntAllat

Postby EntAllat » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:33 pm

Kotik wrote:So that's two times cracked ribs, a mugging and a case of food poisoning all in one year. I think I'm officially effed :shock:

Whoa. I'd avoid skydiving this year if I were you. ;-)

On the otehr hand, I'd say this officially means that next year will be a banner year for you. Go buy a lottery ticket on New Year's Day or something. :-) :-) :-)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:49 am

Okay just sent the V'Lar portion of the *Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices series, (yep you heard it it's a series now) to my Beta for the first edit. Dis I'm thinking I'll need medical help for the second and 4th installments. So you know if you can, I'll PM ya when they're written, and grammatically sound, with proper punctuation.

Fics

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Misplaced » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:47 am

Chapter 5 of Unexpected Too is off to my wonderful betas. Only one more chapter and an epilogue to go with that one. :mrgreen:

Dark Echoes is coming slowly. Not as quickly as I would like, but that's because I'm putting everything I've got into it.

Dah'es (next -- and probably final -- TnT installment in the "Musing in the Mirror Universe" series) is 3 chapters in. I will probably write the whole thing before I start posting.

Just glad to be rid of the writer's block for the time being.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:50 am

Misplaced wrote:Chapter 5 of Unexpected Too is off to my wonderful betas. Only one more chapter and an epilogue to go with that one. :mrgreen:

Dark Echoes is coming slowly. Not as quickly as I would like, but that's because I'm putting everything I've got into it.

Dah'es (next -- and probably final -- TnT installment in the "Musing in the Mirror Universe" series) is 3 chapters in. I will probably write the whole thing before I start posting.

Just glad to be rid of the writer's block for the time being.

:happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump:

Wonderful news that makes me happy enought to get through the next ten days of hell without botox! ;-)

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”