Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Rigil's New Endeavour thread...

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:21 am

Heh. Good point.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:10 am

*blinks through cold-induced fog* I'm not at my sharpest, but Hoshi's observations about the Rick/Anna dynamic were confusing; I think they did a good job at showing just how weird their relationship is. I also liked Hoshi's thoughts about people expecting her to move on, but she doesn't want to. Sad It's sad.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:15 am

JadziaKathryn wrote:I'm not at my sharpest, but Hoshi's observations about the Rick/Anna dynamic were confusing; I think they did a good job at showing just how weird their relationship is.

Mission accomplished. They've got a really screwed up relationship, so I figured that their body language would be just as screwed up and confusing as hell. Wait until I write the episode where all the women on the ship become super horny and in heat ...

Oh wait. I actually have some standards... Twisted Evil

I also liked Hoshi's thoughts about people expecting her to move on, but she doesn't want to. Sad It's sad.

Especially when you take into account that her S.O. is still alive. Damn that evil Harris...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:53 am

Just for reference a Trident III missle is about 34 feet long and 74 inches in diameter. While the actual count is classified figure 8 MIRVs per missle. Also consider the core of a modern nuclear device is roughly the size of an orange.

HtH

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:57 am

I was envisioning these as somewhat larger than a Trident, since they have the impulse propulsion system present. Not much larger though.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:27 am

No real need for something that large as there is no need to boost a payload out of a gravity well. Remember when one is in free space they are at the top of any local gravity well (planet). Simply pushing a few good sized asteroids into a position where they will impact a planet would create greater destruction than a fusion or fission bomb.

As you know kenetic weapons make big trouble for anything on the receiving end. A kenetic sabot penetrator used by an Abrams is actually not very big.

Here is a handy reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_yield

The fusion or fission weapon simply allows for the release of large quantities of energy in a small(ish) package. A MIRV warhead is as big as it is due to the need to survive reentry and maneuver.

Remember a missle is about 90% fuel prelaunch.

HtH

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:42 am

True. But then, the fission bomb would leave all that nasty radiation behind, thereby sterilizing the area and leaving it uninhabitable, as well as mopping up the survivors of the initial blast.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:23 am

It all depends on how big the rock is and how fast it is moving. Given a rock say 1-2 miles across moving at something between 25k and 70k miles per hour it could punch through the crust and release mantle material. The blast and shock wave would be big. Earthquakes and faulting for hundreds if not thousands of miles. Dust and particulate matter would form a blanket to obliterate the sun. We are talking about the end of most life on the planet and that is just one good size rock. There are lots of rocks much larger in the asteroid belt.

One thoery offers that the an impact of 65 million years ago involved a rock something like 6 miles across moving at the same kind of speed.

The forces of nature make man made weapons look pitifully small.

HtH

pookha
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby pookha » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:18 am

couldnt you track these with their radiation signature..

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:33 pm

Image presents...

Act Three, Scene Three.

Surprising revelations...

=/\= =/\= =/\=

Up at Fanfiction.net for those of you who prefer it there.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:40 pm

I have to admit, I didn't see that coming. And I should have. Very neatly done, Sir. I wonder how many other Augments there are running loose that neither Eisler nor Hayes know about now?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

krn
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby krn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:07 pm

nice.

very nice.
--
I got hugged

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:23 pm

blackn'blue wrote:I have to admit, I didn't see that coming. And I should have.

Which part? Eisler knowing certain names, or the possibility of other Augments running around?

In regards to the latter, it only seemed logical to me. Yes, genetic augmentation is illegal on Earth, but we've already seen that Section 31 barely pays attention to the law anyhow, and who better for a field operative than a brainwashed superhuman?

I guess with this scene, we can assume that the Eisler action can have Kung Fu grip...

Sig by Chrisis1033.

krn
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby krn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:55 pm

oh sure... now he gets Kung-Fu grip
--
I got hugged

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:30 pm

Another merchandising opportunity! We can sell more toys! Think of it...

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”