"The Abomination"

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: "The Abomination"

Postby WarpGirl » Wed May 27, 2009 3:33 am

I've read all of KTR's reviews and he should really finish posting the rest of season 3 because I think I'm addicted. Really I didn't think *the_abomination* was any worse than "Regeneration," "A Night In Sickbay," "Cogenitor," "The Communicator," or many others that I can't stand. It was just wrong to kill Trip, make Shran a crook, and totally make T'Pol um not any T'Pol I knew, even hooked on Trellium D. But they screwed up like that all the time! So why should this be any worse? Like I said I liked watching Johnathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis I always will the story was just POINTLESS.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Silverbullet » Wed May 27, 2009 4:10 pm

KTR, you write beautifullly.

Oh hell. I have season Four on DVD but have nver watched the Abominatin. Read too many bad things about it.

I am a TnT shipper first class.

I cannot bring myself to watch this thing. I don't want to lose my virginity. I want to remember TnT from Terra Prime and the Fancis I have read about them and some of the fixes of *the_abomination*.

I am startitg to believe someting I read on another board or maybe it is just in my mind:

Bragga hated the Trip character. He feared it because he believed that it would be like the spock character on TOS. Nimoy made spock so powerful that Kirk had to move over and Spock became very popular and important to the series. He may have believed that connor would do the same thing if allowed.

Frankly, I think that if connor had been given decent writing and allowed his head he would have made Trp too powerful to ignore and Acher would have had to move over.

Of course if connor had done that then like in Tos the others would have come into their own as Bones and Scotty did in TOS. Imagine that a true Ensemble series instead of Super Archer.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed May 27, 2009 5:10 pm

I think the reverse is true -- Braga loved the Trip character. On the DVDs the BBs even talk about how they thought CT was one of the all-time great ST actors and so much fun to write for. I think there was some perverse thing going on at the end there, where because the suits pulled the plug on their baby, they killed their own favorite part of it off. (But with a pretty big escape clause.)

I've seen CT theorize much the same in interviews.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed May 27, 2009 6:35 pm

Somewhere I think I read that it is true that Braga saw Trip as the ST character he liked best. It did seem a personal reaction more than a "valentine to the fans" or any consideration for the fans, that he killed off Trip. Perhaps we should have seen it coming when he killed off the E2 Trip. I have always thought it a terribly selfish act for him to assassinate Trip, as if he were trying to thumb his nose at the fans rather than bring the show to a graceful and satisfying conclusion.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed May 27, 2009 8:10 pm

I don't know Bragga so I cannot i all honesty say for sure what he is like. but I have always had the idea that he was not too swift and not very honest.

*the_abomination* convinced me that he did not like the viewers and was contemptuous of them.

Why do I believe he did not like the Trip character? I (and this is my own stupd opinion and belief) that he realized the Danger the Trip character posed too late. Connor proably was starting to get a lot of positive fan mail. He made Trip likeable and popular with the fans. Trip was diminished a great deal in the first two seasons. He was made to look weak and was used as comic relief. Weak because a man 14 years his senior and in no better shape than he was had to drag him through a desert because he (Trip) couldn't take it. Weak because in Precious Cargo when he and the Kidnapper duked it out. trip gave him three good set up lefts and a hard right. the Kidnapper didn't even blink said hah and knocked trip on his butt. Kidnapper jumped on trip and was going to drown him Princess runs up and tags the kidnapper with a tree limb. Knocking him out. I don't for a moment believe the Princess could have put that much force into that tree limb. Weak because in the andorian ARcher gets the crap beat ouf of him by Shran is thrown in the next room and is ready for round two in a few minutes but Trip get tapped by an andorian and he is down on his Butt and can only manage to hold a phaser on an Andorian he is out of the rest of the Episode. Trip was constantly put in a bad light or never given any credit for anything. In dawn he stays with the Alien until rescue arrives. That is what changed the aliens attitude towards Humans yet t-Pol says to Archer "You did more in ne day than the vulcans did in one year to change the attitude of the aliens."

It wsn't until Manny Coto that Trip ws given a decent image and even then I believe that Bragga interferred.

Enterprise would have been better if Trip had been the Co-Hero and given more episodes to shine.

Still believe that Trip would have been a better companion for T-Pol in the forge arc than super Archer.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed May 27, 2009 8:20 pm

:thumbsup:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed May 27, 2009 8:44 pm

You are right about the first two seasons portrayal of Trip, especially that a younger man should have been more fit than an older one. But I am pretty sure I saw an interview of Bragga where he admitted that Trip was his favorite ST character.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed May 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Braga is a weird guy. I do believe the liked the Trip character, but maybe he didn't like him like we and most of the viewers did. I can imagine he thought it was funny when they made Trip the goofy comic relief, that we wouldn't laugh at Trip but with Trip, that it somehow was that that made him relatable and human. For the same reason I think Braga thought that killing off Trip would be deep and poignant, sort of like when Spock died.

Well, obviously he failed. Miserably. He has even admitted that in later interviews.

And thank you everyone for the kind words re: my reviews. :blushes:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 28, 2009 12:11 am

What I want to know is, what the heck were they thinking to ruin Shran the way they did.? :evil: I don't even bother to wonder what their process of writing T'Pol is, but Shran was AWSOME! Then they totally and methodically destroy him. Will and Deanna just referred to him as "THE ANDORIAN" HELLO Shran deserves more respect than that, and they used to give it to him. Unlike Trip and T'Pol.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Thu May 28, 2009 12:46 am

I read somewhere that Schran was a very popular character, and that Jeffrey Combs (the actor) got along really well with the regular cast. So much so that they (B & B & Coto) were considering making him a regular - maybe even part of the Enterprise crew in season 5.

Maybe that's why they included him, but I hate the way they used him in "the-abomination."

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 28, 2009 12:58 am

IDK If I would have wanted him to join Starfleet. I liked the fact that he was the one to be the go between for Earth and Andoria. Even if it promoted Super! Archer. Then again I heard that they wanted to drop the bombshell that T'Pol's father was a Romulan which I would have HATED even more than Trellium. As much as *the_abomination* was awful for me I'm not happy about what they were thinking of doing had the series continued.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu May 28, 2009 1:02 am

Yeah, *the_abomination* aside, I sometimes wonder if the cancellation wasn't a blessing in disguise. Imagine how much they could've screwed things up had they continued. They might break TnT up just for the hell of it, to create draaaaama or such nonsense. They could've done the Romulan War off screen with the NX-01 of to the sidelines for whatever dumb reason. Etc. etc.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 28, 2009 1:11 am

I prefer to think of it that way. I mean, three more years of Super! Archer and his merry underlings is far more than I could take. I wish you'd hurry up with those season 3 reviews KTR. You're a journalist you're used to deadlines right? Guinen would have been nice, but they might have screwed her up too! I hate to say it but I think the B's once again tried to push the AinT in *the_abomination*, and they might have busted up TnT only to have Trip give the bride away at the wedding. The line "Chef" says about Trip being a liftime member of the Jonathan Archer fanclub scared me to death!!!! I'm not kidding who knows what horrors could have been unleashed. Nope better to end at "Terra Prime" and write to our hearts content. Then again, as a series I hate ENT. But kudos for the few gems in it.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu May 28, 2009 1:24 am

WarpGirl wrote:I wish you'd hurry up with those season 3 reviews KTR. You're a journalist you're used to deadlines right?

Which is why I won't impose them in my own free time as well... :raspberry:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu May 28, 2009 1:29 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
WarpGirl wrote:I wish you'd hurry up with those season 3 reviews KTR. You're a journalist you're used to deadlines right?

Which is why I won't impose them in my own free time as well... :raspberry:

:lol: Good point.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”