How do I know Trip Had a Graduate Degree?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: Misplacedmama

Re: How do I know Trip Had a Graduate Degree?

Postby Misplaced » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:59 pm

Elessar wrote:Aw thanks ladies :D

I'm glad you liked Skin Deep... that took an incredibly long time to write. I started it and then got to a point where I didn't know where it was going, it was originally going to be like a post-Dawn ficlet and it just grew a pair of legs.

The math/science in that is sort of funny, I just re-read it myself. I was in a graduate physics class in undergrad at the time in nonlinear dynamics, fractals and chaos -- that's where I pulled all this chaos theory terminology from (Feigenbaum numbers, Lyapunov exponents, phase space, etc). I kind of invented the term "hyperchaotic" but it sounded cool!

Chaos theory's actually really fascinating, mathematically, not to mention a pain in the ass. I've described it as a Newtonian version of Uncertainty Principle. Basically, some nonlinear systems are so dependent upon their initial conditions that the mathematically computed "error" in the function is actually greater than the separation between initial parameters that leads to some separation of final parameters. Then there's such a thing as a "psuedoperiodic" system that's technically periodic (has periodic behavior like a sinusoid or cosine) but its period is infinity.... in other words it's like a repeating fraction... that doesn't repeat until the infinity'th digit (in other words it doesn't actually repeat).

Neat stuff. Especially because up until the 1970's, there were something like 4 or 5 known physical constants in the universe (the big constants like mu and epsilon and plank, not like G or pi) and in chaos theory, they discovered TWO MORE in the span of 10 years.

But back on topic -- I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of warp mechanics requires computational methods to really DO... sort of like CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics). A lot of useful fluids work can't be done analytically (in mathematical generalities, with general solutions that work for all cases like y + z = 4 gives you z = 4-y for all z and y in the real numbers), can only be done numerically under very strict initial conditions and boundary conditions that setup convenient symmetries so that the Navier-Stokes equations become solvable. That would probably be true of a higher level field like warp drive. It's concievable, however, that if such a field as 'warp physics' existed, given its reliance on higher dimensional physics, it'd include some language of differential geometry (which IS very analytical, thankfully) but I'm sure there'd be computational elements to it.

In other words, with computational fields like CFD you have to just learn algorithms but really all you do is stick them into a computer and it does all the heavy lifting. As a mathematician you SHOULD understand what they're doing, but you wouldn't have to for it to work. That still wouldn't allow Trip to do his job without at least a PhD in something like Physics or Aeronautical Engineering with a Masters level education in math & physics.

Officially retired from writing Trek fanfiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:19 pm

See what I mean Fearless Leader... :D
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:58 pm

:duh: sorry! if it's any consolation my viscous flow book just melted my cerebral cortex, it's absolutely nonsense to me :banghead:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:52 pm

:guffaw: S'ok you're the Boss you're allowed to make no sense. :-p But really you don't want to melt your Cerebral Cortex. Take it from someone with Cerebral Palsy not fun at all dude.

We know you will have many wonderful degrees and be this universe's 21st century Trip! :happyjump:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian
Show On Map: No

Postby enterprikayak » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:54 am

Elessar wrote::duh: sorry! if it's any consolation my viscous flow book just melted my cerebral cortex, it's absolutely nonsense to me :banghead:

BUT THE PENGUINS! WHAT ABOUT THE PENGUINS?
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:46 am

enterprikayak wrote:
Elessar wrote::duh: sorry! if it's any consolation my viscous flow book just melted my cerebral cortex, it's absolutely nonsense to me :banghead:

BUT THE PENGUINS! WHAT ABOUT THE PENGUINS?

:guffaw: we assumed inviscid flow... And... at this point I can't begin to tell you if that was a realistic assumption or not! I haven't gained a feel for what are and are not negligible viscous effects
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:32 pm

This might end up as a serious snafu in hindsight!

DAMMIT JIM! WHY DID WE ASSUME INVISCID FLOW?

Oh, I remember. Cause you were drunk. :lol:
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:58 am

Basically, some nonlinear systems are so dependent upon their initial conditions that the mathematically computed "error" in the function is actually greater than the separation between initial parameters that leads to some separation of final parameters.

Speaking of error in a function... Back when I was in college, a friend of mine was taking a class in numerical methods. He was given an assignment to write a program to find the roots (zeros) of arbitrary functions. He asked me o provide him with a test case.

Big mistake! (heh-heh)

I started with a trig identity (sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1), and re-arranged it into a function that always evaluates to zero:

f(x) = sin^2(X) + cos^2(x) - 1

Then I disguised it with some other identities (such as replacing the cos^2 term with an equivalent trig function, and replacing the 1 with X raised to another function that always evaluates to zero (since anything raised to zero is always one).

Then I multiplied the whole thing by a function that resolved to a large value, magnifying the error.

My friend dutifully plugged my equation into his root finder, and was quite perplexed when it would not converge. He tried different initial conditions. He tried different algorithms. He tried manually plotting it. NOTHING worked. Finally he gave up and was less than amused when I told him what I'd done. Personally I though it was hilarious.

Such is engineer humor...
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:08 am

:faint: Seriously this is incredible. But there is an unpleasent side effect to this thread. I am now convinced that I could never write a good fic about Trip doing his actual job... :cry:

Fics

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:30 am

WarpGirl wrote:But there is an unpleasent side effect to this thread. I am now convinced that I could never write a good fic about Trip doing his actual job...

Here's a tip then: A great deal of what you see on screen about Trip doing his job is total bunk. You see him with his hands on the engines getting down and dirty, like he's rebuilding a motor boat engine in his garage, or something. You never see him doing the administrative tasks related to his job, which in the real world would account for 90% of a Chief Engineer's time: training schedules and daily plans, maintenance logs, supply requisitions, personnel evaluations, readiness inspections, reports, paperwork, etc... He is the head of Engineering Department, and charged with its smooth and efficient operation. Time spent crawling around the bowels of the engine room is time away from his main job.

As for the few occasions where Trip has a legitimate reason to grab a hyperspanner and put his hands on the machinery, all you need to do is master the fine art of technobabble! (Who knows what the hell a hyperspanner is, anyway?)
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:38 am

Well I know what a hyperspanner is. You don't spend seven seasons and many more years obsessed with Geordie and B'Elanna and not know what a hyperspanner is. But I could never in a million years come up with a remotely probable enginnering thing based on this stuff. My brain is not built for numbers! And I wanted to write Trip figuring out how to get Warp 6 out of his engine too.... :( Where's the darn <pouty smiley>

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:50 am

Transwarp wrote:You never see him doing the administrative tasks related to his job, which in the real world would account for 90% of a Chief Engineer's time: training schedules and daily plans, maintenance logs, supply requisitions, personnel evaluations, readiness inspections, reports, paperwork, etc... He is the head of Engineering Department, and charged with its smooth and efficient operation. Time spent crawling around the bowels of the engine room is time away from his main job.
:idea: :idea: Maybe I should write "A day in the life of the Chief Engineer" with him doing all that stuff. Mmmm....
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:53 am

Well our Fearless Leader did A Day In The Life Of Crewman Tucker a wonderful fic, but I'll bet you do an amazing version with him as Commander, Panyasan. I mean if you get much better than Malice, most of us gotta quit, but I say go for it. ;-)

Fics

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:11 am

WarpGirl wrote:Well I know what a hyperspanner is. You don't spend seven seasons and many more years obsessed with Geordie and B'Elanna and not know what a hyperspanner is. But I could never in a million years come up with a remotely probable enginnering thing based on this stuff. My brain is not built for numbers! And I wanted to write Trip figuring out how to get Warp 6 out of his engine too.... :( Where's the darn <pouty smiley>

As this is not real world physics, attach yourself (& story) to ST world. You wanna warp 6? Follow (extend) Trip's ideas in Similitude. Maybe a two stage injector compression to really *smooth* the plasma flow, followed by an "afterburner" expanding stage (?!?!) and so on. Warp 6 will arrive as soon as warp 5 on screen :) Ask Transwarp on how a real afterburner works, he sure knows some techno terms to be used...

And I agree with him that most what you see in screen in bunk. Even on the science (not only engineering) sections.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Thank you, thank you!

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”