T'Pol's Clothing

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: T'Pol's Clothing

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:52 pm

Well if you can have acrylics that look good and don't tear off your nails, congrads Aquarius. Some people like them some don't, not a big deal.

As for JB having a different complexion... WOW! Really, who would have thought that? :dunno: :roll: Of course they would make different choices for her. It doesn't mean that they looked natural in every light, or to every person.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:09 pm

You know, they would have had to have a hair salon - probably including a nail salon - on the ship. We know Enterprise-D did - but any ship that was a self-contained community must have had one. We just didn't see it.

Heck, I've been known to run to the nail salon to get a few silk tips if I've done something that has torn my nails apart - ripped nails are distracting and, in my case, painful.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:16 pm

Actually I like Panyasan's explanation of T'Pol's various hairstyles, (and colors) and nails. It went from "odd" on the show, to cute and realistic. But I do think JB looked her absolute best when she had dark hair. The lighter brown, or reddish tint, didn't do it for me. Although the cut in the MU rocked! Was that her real hair?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:23 am

That manicure in Terra Prime was problematic because it was so obvious in that final shot of the final scene, and I'm sorry, but I definitely found it peculiar and distracting. I don't think the writers appreciated it either, since they commented rather sardonically about it on the DVD.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:29 am

Alelou wrote:That manicure in Terra Prime was problematic because it was so obvious in that final shot of the final scene, and I'm sorry, but I definitely found it peculiar and distracting. I don't think the writers appreciated it either, since they commented rather sardonically about it on the DVD.

What did they say??????

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:55 am

I don't remember exactly. Something like "And that's sure some manicure Jolene has there." They didn't get into it, really, but I recognized it as a writer getting just a touch snarky. I think it's actually one of the more interesting commentary tracks on the DVD set.
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:05 am

Aikiweezie wrote:
Aquarius wrote:As for the continuity with her nails, JB may very well have had a shoot or appearance or audition that necessitated looking finished and put together, including her nails. They probably didn't think fans would blow a gasket over it.

Maybe we should cross-reference under the "You know you're a Trek fan when" thread!
"You know you're a Trek fan when" you notice minutae like this! :lol: No wonder people make fun of us.

Well, I brought that up because of something I recently saw on America's Next Top Model. It was the last episode of the last cycle, where they show you all the behind the scenes stuff that didn't make it into the regular episodes. Earlier in the cycle, several of the girls took good pictures, but when you looked closely at their hands and feet, their nails were JACKED, and the judges slammed them for it, saying that regular manicures and pedicures are a must because you never know when your hands or feet are going to be in a shot.

JB is a model, so I made that connection, thinking maybe she had something important coming up where short "T'Pol" nails just weren't going to do. In a perfect world, yeah, that minor of a detail would have continuity throughout the episode, but for me, it's hardly a glaring end-of-the-world, pull-me-out-of-the story thing. I probably wouldn't have noticed myself if no one had said anything (too busy looking at Connor, thank you :drool: ).
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:10 am

WarpGirl wrote:I wasn't criticizing JB, I was criticizing the person who sprayed her tan.

How do you know it's a spray tan?

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:13 am

Wow, Aquarius, that's quite a signature you've got going for Body and Katra! Cool beans!

They would have all been looking for other work by that point in the season, so it's understandable. But since the shot focused so much on their hands, it was distracting, too.

I was checking out Scarlet Johanssen(sp?)'s nails in "The Island," this weekend, because my son made me watch it. (She definitely had a way of stretching those fingers out on Ewan McGregor's face/hair/shoulder/whatever.) She had nicely manicured nails but still simple -- I remember thinking, "That's what T'Pol's nails should have looked like."

You know you're a hopeless Trekkie when you have a thought like that.
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:18 am

Alelou wrote:Wow, Aquarius, that's quite a signature you've got going for Body and Katra! Cool beans!

They would have all been looking for other work by that point in the season, so it's understandable. But since the shot focused so much on their hands, it was distracting, too.

I was checking out Scarlet Johanssen(sp?)'s nails in "The Island," this weekend, because my son made me watch it. (She definitely had a way of stretching those fingers out on Ewan McGregor's face/hair/shoulder/whatever.) She had nicely manicured nails but still simple -- I remember thinking, "That's what T'Pol's nails should have looked like."

You know you're a hopeless Trekkie when you have a thought like that.

Thanks. My future Vegas con roomie made it for me! 8)

Now for me, because the shot focused on her hands, I feel her nails should've looked finished and good, but again, ideally, they would've looked the same through the whole episode.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:18 am

Terra Prime wasn't the only episodes wear she had her long French manicure. First Flight and Broken Bow she had them too. I just think its weird because it kept shifting. Because I can't remember ever seeing B'Elanna or Janeway with long nails or polished anything other than clear. Beverly and Deanna had them, but it was mostly consistent. And considering their jobs, and the fact that Bev wore gloves for surgery, it wasn't a huge deal. I don't remember seeing Dax, Kira, or Ro with nails like that either. To me it seemed to make the production value seem a bit less detail oriented than what I was used too.

My favorite T'Pol outfit... The blue Jumpsuit. Least favorite aside from the fushia jumpsuit, the red thing she wore meditating in Breaking the Ice that neckline was terrible. I wasn't keen on her formal robes either. <sigh> That was a shame too, but I couldn't figure out why they were a rust color, when Soval wore sky blue! :dunno:

Honeybee Because, even with a "green tint" the base color was the same type they use for dark tans in a spray tan salon (I watch too much fashion TV). I also think she used a tanning bed... :tsktsk: But if you look at some of the pics Rigil and KTR have... Or just go on her Twitter Page, its obvious the tan is fake.

Fics

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:22 am

The only thing I didn't like T'Pol in was her clothes.

Oh ... wait. Heh.

Seriously, the only outfit they put Jolene in that I didn't like her in was that godawful season 1 & 2 carpet suit. Everything else - Starfleet uniform (rowl), silly season 3 & 4 catsuits, robes, civvies, PJs - I thought she looked great in. But that carpet suit ... blech.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:28 am

I didn't mind the color of her VHC uniform, but the cut! :upchuck: An Empire waist with leggings doesn't flatter anyone! That and the fabric looked itchy, I kept wondering if some of her snippier moments was because she wanted to scratch her back.

Fics

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:32 am

It struck me as little more than the clowns in charge trying to turn her into a Seven clone, complete with skin tight (and illogical) catsuit with big boobs. As long as she wore the excursion jacket (see below), it looked almost like a uniform instead of an appeal to the 12 year old boy audience. I didn't even like the color of that outfit. T'Mir's outfit was hands down superior in every way.

"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:37 am

Ah but the catsuit is a time honored tradition... Thank you GR for starting it with Deanna... Not! :roll: I find it insulting to men actually, like they can't find a woman beautiful without seeing everything up front. To be honest I thought the MU uniform and the mini-skirts of the 60's more modest and sexy, and T'Pol's season 1-2 catsuits did not show any skin but her face, yet it wasn't all that sexy.

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”