May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us by WG

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us by WG

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 13, 2011 2:19 pm

Oh thanks for the support guys. So I guess I'll just talk a bit...

Transwarp wrote:This is a perfectly reasonable and valid plot for a story, with plenty of opportunities for conflict and drama as two people from entirely different cultures (entirely different species!) attempt to create and sustain a relationship. There will be numerous hurdles and roadblocks in there way, both internal and external.

Yes I know. I didn't mean to imply I don't have a plot. I do the problem is that I have too many ideas I think, and I'm never sure which ones to weed out.

Transwarp wrote:The start of the war seems like an odd ending point to me, because it is also the start of a whole new set of problems and conflicts.

No I don't think it's odd, I think it's a form of poetic irony. In the Xindi war their romantic relationship, began and it was unstable, immature, and frought with self-inflicted tribulations. By the time the Romulan War starts they'll (hopefully) be solid, stable, know how to constructively work at their relationship, and have a clear path to the life they want. All the things they didn't have during Xindi War. I think it's a good time to end it.

Panyasan wrote:Also take a moment in your life when you felt similair things (loss, hurt) then the ones you try to write and use that in your writing.

I think this is the crux of my problem right now. As everyone who has been following the story I have to write Baby Elizabeth's funeral. When I started the story I had no clue I'd lose my niece. And last night my sister had her third miscarriage, I'm getting way too familiar with the pain people deal with when losing a child. And I'm tired of it. But I wrote myself into a corner, I HAVE to write the funeral and I do not want to do it.

That said I can't quit on the story. It'll kill my confidence that I actually can write.

Panyasan wrote:(Part of the reason I am asking that I always notice the love and warmth and heart when you talk about B'Lanna and Paris and you have a story to tell about them, that I think when you start writing about them, the words will come. Not that I don't want you to write about TnT of course, it was just an idea I had).

Ha! I wrote half a P/T story when I was 13. But I never really felt the need. They're great on their own. They don't need me to meddle. TnT need help!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Cogito » Fri May 13, 2011 2:41 pm

WarpGirl wrote:And last night my sister had her third miscarriage, I'm getting way too familiar with the pain people deal with when losing a child. And I'm tired of it. But I wrote myself into a corner, I HAVE to write the funeral and I do not want to do it.

I have no idea what that pain is like, but for what little it's worth :hug:

WarpGirl wrote:That said I can't quit on the story. It'll kill my confidence that I actually can write.

Well I certainly don't want you to quit on the story, but you don't need to have any doubts that you can write. Perhaps the real question is whether this subject is too painful for you to write about, at least now. But I also wonder whether you feel this is a story that deserves to be written, eventually. From what you've said, I suspect it is. If and when you decide to write about it, I think that your own experience will give you an insight that most readers won't have. But if it is too painful to write about, and you just want to continue your fanfic without tackling that pain, how about rather than telling us what happened during the funeral, you skip past and just mention it retrospectively?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 13, 2011 2:54 pm

You Rock Cogito! I'll survive and figure things out, I will. I just had such a clear picture of what I wanted to do with this story and Real Life decided to screw around.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri May 13, 2011 7:21 pm

You also can use another POV, just to create some distance.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 13, 2011 7:26 pm

Considering the whole piece is in the 3rd person I'm not sure how I can get more distant. My Pon Farr series is written in the 1st person, but not May We...

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri May 13, 2011 8:46 pm

You still can have a POV character when you write in 3rd person. In fact, most stories are not in 3rd person omniscient, where the author jumps from one character's inner thoughts to another's in the same scene, mainly because it confuses the reader. You stay inside one person's head at a time. If you look at most published fiction these days, each scene is written in 3rd person, but from only one person's point of view. When you change scenes you can change POV characters, yet stay in 3rd person. So in this case, to create some distance you might try writing the funeral through the eyes of someone other than TnT.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 13, 2011 8:51 pm

I think my head hurts. :? I think I just need some time to work through all my emotional stuff.

Fics

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 16, 2011 5:02 pm

Okay it's monday time to step out of the "emotional quagmire" of last week. I'm even folding laundry! (If you only knew how I avoid that particular thing) anyway... I've come to the only acceptable conclusion, forget the dang emotional turmoil and just write it! Good, bad or otherwise will be up to the betas to determine. But I refuse to let this become another unfinished story. I gotta grow up sometime.

Now if only I could get so determined that Sev will give me an awesome Pon Farr fight! Oh well, I just cheerfully blame Dis and Transwarp for that particular kettle of fish! :-p :surprisehug: luv ya both though!

Fics

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun May 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Great news... Muse decided Trip can start "talking" to me again. So moving forward. Hopefully, everything will go more smoothly now. I can get this stupid chapter done and get to the mushy romantic...

SPOILER!!!:
Elopement

I think y'all might find that satisfying. ;-) Sorry, I'm feeling very "southern" this weekend. I'm not sure if I'm allowed being a transplant and all, but I am.

Next up after this chapter, putting Sev in mortal peril in Rights, heaven help me! :roll:

Fics

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sun May 29, 2011 3:19 pm

That's the thing about muses. They can be flighty and fickle, but they ALWAYS come back. Eventually. Of course, you may need to give her a day to sleep off the effects of the hangover...
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun May 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Well, she's been snitty, stubborn, and an all around pain in the Mikta (Goa'uld for **s) but never drunk.

Fics

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 30, 2011 2:10 pm

You know I'm pounding away at my key board, working on chapter 6 which ironically is up to 6 pages. And suddenly it hits me... I know why this feels so slow! I wrote 2 pages of mushy stuff! And now I'm thinking, writing on a site devoted to an actual pairing is very different then writing on a site devoted to a fandom itself. On the Kotor site you could write "ship" stories all you wanted, but it wasn't a requirement. Nobody would blink if you wrote 10 chapters without one scene of your pairing together. I know I've written about 30 of them.

Convicted doesn't really count because you've got "mediation" scenes. And yes Transwarp the "" were sarcastic. :-p :hug: ;-)

Here you can't get away with that unless your story is in the Library of P'Jem, Main Engineering, or The Bridge and the traffic there is considerably light compared to the main section. We're all here for the mush. Problem is, I don't want to have another 34 page chapter. Even if I do think it's the best thing I ever wrote.

Fics

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:04 pm

I know by this time Y'all will be wanting me to shut up but I find this theraputic when the writing gods screw with me. Out of all the little things about crafting a story that can make you nuts, my number one issue is trying to convey tone of voice, and phyisical gestures! Frustrating, frustrating, frustrating! :banghead: It's so awkard and irritating.

Fics

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:22 am

My own little blog! It's nice to vent. I'm doing it again!!!!! I didn't want another huge chapter, but the words started flowing, and I think it has so much potential. I keep telling myself... "Fic readers have a premium on their time Kitty." It doesn't help. The words are like a river, they keep on flowing! The worst part is, it's actually pretty good! :neutral:

Fics

Grrr
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Grrr » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:14 am

I know this probably isn't going to be helpful but, I say If it good don't worry about how long it is.

Grrr

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”