What Kind Of Jewelry Does A Guy Buy A Vulcan?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: What Kind Of Jewelry Does A Guy Buy A Vulcan?

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Alelou wrote:What is the logic in wearing jewelry, anyway? I suppose it's an easy, portable way to carry some of one's wealth around. It can mark your status. It might contribute to one's aesthetic appreciation of a form, I suppose. None of these strikes me as particularly logical reasons to expend the time and effort in the necessary production of jewelry, not to mention the impact on the environment that comes with mining, but whatever. You can tell Vulcans are not nearly as dry and emotionless as they like to claim the minute they put on a costume different from anyone else's.

OK I gotta laugh I remember when I first came here I equated an engagement ring with Kali'fee and you didn't like that so much Alelou. ;-) HOWEVER if we want to have an antrhopological discussion on the merits of gifts and Jewelry I'll give it a shot... All of your reasons are absolutlely true. But you left one out, buy giving something of high value to another person, you show them their value to you.

As for wedding rings Dinah's right, technically (despite all modern PCness) wedding rings are like branding marks. Back off MINE! Personally I am OK with that. If I am going to pledge my life to someone I want to make dang sure everyone knows I and he are off limits to outsiders. As for T'Pol ant Trip wearing them, well that's why they can't look like wedding rings. Come on people there are so many of you from all over the world, you gotta have some ideas for non-traditional wedding rings!

Finally Silverbullet T'Pol DOES like Vulcan tea, and green tea, and mint tea, and chamomiel tea. She likes them ALL! As for perfume how do you know she doesn't wear any? They never said that. She does her nails and wears makeup. :roll:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:45 pm

Those long manicured nails aren't very logical either, if you ask me. In the DVD commentary on "Terra Prime," the Reeves-Stevens take note of Jolene's nails in a way that makes me think they found them a little distracting in that final shot.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:46 pm

They were long before Terra Prime. She's had a french manicure in most episodes.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:47 pm

I could see Trip making her a gift in the machine shop. Maybe a logic puzzle, or some kind of goofy rube goldberg contraption, like an automatic candle lighter.

A good gift from T'Pol to Trip would be a framed portrait of her. (An even BETTER gift would be a framed portrait of her in a bikini, but, alas, I don't see that happening.)

But, hey! Christmas is coming up, and T'Pol-in-a-bikini portraits make GREAT gifts for your web-forum friends...
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:49 pm

Warpgirl, far as I know she does NOT like Vulcan Tea that is why she tries Human Tea and likes Mint and Camomile. If she liked vulcan Tea why should she try Human Tea? I like Earl Grey and stick to it. Pekoe leaves me cold.

since it was established in the first episode that Vulcan females have a hieghtened sense of smeall Scents would not be something she would wear.

Cannot remember T-Pol wearing jewelry of nay kind in the series so a ring might not be aprpriate.

Still like the PJ's perhaps a little too intimate but a guy an try can't he?
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:51 pm

She drinks Vulcan tea in Broken Bow.

:guffaw: Transwarp you are definitely a GUY!

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:36 pm

Transwarp wrote:But, hey! Christmas is coming up, and T'Pol-in-a-bikini portraits make GREAT gifts for your web-forum friends...

:lol: Or you could just get KTR to give you the high resolution version of his T'Pol butt shots and make a nice collage for your friends...

SB, just because you have a heightened sense of smell doesn't rule out wanting scents. You might want certain scents if only to ward off certain OTHER scents. I don't see any way, for example, that a burning candle is not going to release the scent of something, even if it's just beeswax or paraffin. Maybe the Vulcan equivalent has a distinctive smell all its own.

I don't like most perfumes or colognes because they're just so strong usually, and also because I'm out in the garden with bees all the time and I don't want them landing on me if I can avoid it. But I do love this one salt scrub from Arbonne that has pomengranate in it. It's one of my self-indulgent treats to shower with it occasionally during the winter. Heck, sometimes I just open the container and take a nice deep sniff. And even though the smell is so strong it's almost cloying, I used to always bring a little spray of orange blossom into my room in Florida when they were in season. I love that smell.

Maybe someday we'll get smells off our TVs/holodecks ... it's such a big part of what we take in about people and settings. I can still remember some distinctive smells of various people I've known in my life ... in fact, I think the ones with distinctive smells may be remembered more vividly than the others, whether it was the Indian student who always smelled of patchouli, or the grad student who I thought must be a gin drunk until I realized her body powder was juniper flavored, or the first (unrequited) love of my life, who always smelled like Irish Spring soap. :)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:41 pm

I don't know, I won't say Vulcans don't wear scents. I mean silk robes, jewelry, makeup, crowns if you're a priestess... Anything is possible. Can we get back to wedding rings?

Fics

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:08 pm

What sort of jewlery would a Vulcan wear? Something big and clunky.

Well this Claddagh ring idea sounds pretty cool to me.

And one more option for complying with probable the uniform code: She can wear a ring from Trip inside her suit on a chain around her neck. Both me and Silverbullet have already used that idea. (And I'm sure we weren't the first to think of it).
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:28 pm

Well T'Pol is the only one who has NEVER conformed to Starfleet uniform code, even when she is a full fleged member of Starfleet. Can't have the resident sex symbol walking around in a jumpsuit. Unless it's in an AU like Twilight or the MU. Besides other people have worn rings before. Everyone seems to dig on the claddagh idea. I didn't expect that at all. Cool. But I still want more thoughts.

Personally, I'm giving my T'Pol a bit of a fashion makeover. I feel it's time somebody did. Keep things fresh. I still hate that god-awful bottled tan! No Vulcan has ever been that shade before never!

Fics

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:37 pm

You know what would be an amusing gag gift for T'Pol? A mood ring.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:42 pm

I think she' find that facinating. Vulcans do have moods. Even if they don't see that as a good thing. Or equate them the way we do. Spock would like it I think.

Fics

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:50 pm

But they don't want to advertise having moods. "Hey look, my ring is red, I'm angry." Can't see that going over well.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:53 pm

Oh I just mean I think they'd find it intellectually facinating that we humans have jewelry to tell us and others our emotions. I could see T'Pol thinking "Vulcans are aware of their emotions we don't need these. Why would humans?" then make a science project out of it. Spock too.

Fics

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:20 pm

Alelou wrote:Those long manicured nails aren't very logical either, if you ask me. In the DVD commentary on "Terra Prime," the Reeves-Stevens take note of Jolene's nails in a way that makes me think they found them a little distracting in that final shot.

Sorry for digressing, but I noticed that Jolene's nails change from non-exisrent to long french manicured ones while Paxon is holding her captive with Elizabeth.

Continuity error!!!

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”