Chaplain

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Chaplain

Postby Asso » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:51 pm

I don't talk about Actors or about the show itself.
I'm thinking of Fans.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:55 pm

I know. But if you're talking about religion in the show there shouldn't be a problem. There are valid reasons for both points of view. Besides it's silly to avoid something just because its controversial. If you don't want to talk about it just don't.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Maybe you are right, but I prefer adventures. And Romance. A lot of it. :D
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:04 pm

What suddenly faith kills adveture and romance? I've not found that to be the case. Besides don't you think its a little hypocritical, to create a show, hate the idea of faith, and then use the Bible a lot for plots, and philosophy. Because Gene Rondenberry's two fall back sources were Shakespere, and the Bible.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:16 pm

Do you see, WarpGirl? We are already discussing. ;-)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:27 pm

Really I hadn't noticed.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Not being outwardly religious. I do in my own way have a belief system. Much like others.
My church is my body and the world. A walk in the woods is suffieient to bring me closer to a creator than having someone tell me that I need him/her to interpret my faith.

I have however, seen terrible religious strife and cruelty you couldn't believe. If I were
to describe some of thethngs I have seen done during these stifes it would sicken you for a long time.

It goes on in parts of the world. Ireland still has it, the Sudan, mid-east.

But even so after seeing those thngs I can still conceive of a creator.

What small comfort I receive is that I realize if the creator could make this Universe and all that is iin it. Making an afterlife would be a piece of cake. What disturbs me is would the creator want to.

Think that even if not shown there could have been a nod to religion by ackowledging a chaplain on board even if he was never shown.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:18 pm

Well I think a Chaplin would have been impractical. Still it would have been nice if they portrayed people who believed in God in a more positive light.

Fics

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Alelou wrote:JK, I really don't see why you would just assume that someone who accepts the theory of evolution would be an atheist. There are plenty of scientists who are religious, just as there are plenty of religious people who don't interepret everything in the Book of Genesis as the literal Word of God.
Well, that's why I gave him a possible alternate religion with a less-involved-in-directly-creating-life deity.

Here's another one, guys and gals: Klingon religion. Reference "Barge of the Dead" for that, although I think there was a TNG episode as well and some in DS9. From everything I can tell, B'Elanna's near-death experiences were real. Interesting, anyway. Although there was the Klingon barge driver and I wasn't altogether satisfied with that. He killed his gods (not very impressive gods if they can be killed by their people) but then was punished for it (so the dead gods still punish? or was he punished by all the people who were mad the gods were dead? that was unclear).

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:56 pm

Klingons just like stuff bloody. Well not so much B'Elanna, K'ehlyr, and Alexander, but you know what I mean.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:36 pm

Maybe Chef doubled as Ship's Chaplain? :raspberry:

*runs*
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:17 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Definitely NOT a member of LDS. No offense to anyone that is, but NOT ME.

Sorry, WarpGirl. I thought I remembered reading on another thread that you were. Please pardon my senility. :?

And KTR, are you TRYING to get flamed? ;-)

I agree that on a ship the size of Enterprise there should have been someone to talk to about spiritual matters for those that felt the need. The fact that there wasn't tells me that someone either thought the subject was too controversial or that they considered it unimportant.
Image sig by chrisis1033

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:34 pm

One more important Religion in star Trek episode was TNG episode "Rightful Heir." From Memory Alpha:

SPOILER!!!:
The clone of Kahless the Unforgettable was created by the clerics of Boreth in 2369 using DNA from the Knife of Kirom. The clerics wished to give the impression it was the real Kahless, who had returned from Sto-vo-kor to once again lead his people. When Worf visited the planet Boreth, the clone of Kahless appeared to him. Worf believed that the real Kahless had returned. Kahless and Worf spoke of a new direction for the Klingon people, but Worf began to doubt that the clone was the real Kahless, because he could not remember the taste of warnog, or what existence is like in Sto-vo-kor. Kahless was challenged to combat Gowron, and was defeated, raising more doubts. In light of this, the clerics finally admitted their fraud. Worf thereby suggested that the clone of Kahless be made Emperor of the Klingon Empire. However, Gowron would continue to run the Klingon High Council. The clone of Kahless accepted and became the moral leader of the Klingon people. He then told Worf that what mattered was Kahless' words and teachings, not the man himself. (TNG: "Rightful Heir")
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:46 pm

There must have been times when a crewman needed to talk about something that was important and very personal.

I know that a Counselor probably was put in to take the place of a chaplain In TNG. But I don't believe there was one in Voyager.Maybe i missed that.

Whatever. "go see the chaplain and get your card punched."

That is one of the things that a Chaplain is for. Letting someone talk out problems to a sympathetic ear,

Troi served that purpose on TNG.

If I remember correctly in one Episode of TOS Kirk was performing a marriage ceremony for a couple of crew, So no Chaplain on board that Engterprise although the need for one seemed to be evcident.

Also think that in one Episode of voyager Chakoty told Janeway that there was 5 pregnancies on one of the Decks. Chaplain would come in handy about then.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:18 pm

And yet we saw almost no infants, and there was no mention of the moral dilemmas that such a situation would cause. I would hope that they just decided that the subject was too controversial and deliberately didn't address it.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”