"Divergent Paths" Discussion

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: "Divergent Paths" Discussion

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:55 pm

OK here's a question who said the title had to have literal fullfillment in the story? Granted, my own is in my story. But I don't think you automatically have to make the ending match the title. I mean the concept already does that.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:25 pm

Nobody said it, including me. Did you read my post? However, it does suggest that maybe you knew what the hell you were doing when you put the title on it.

Coming up with a good title is no substitute for being a good writer, though. I have a published writer friend who is incredibly talented but hates coming up with titles -- so often it's her agent or editor who ends up doing it for her books. She also says she doesn't really know what her books are about, which is why she asked me to please write her questions for the book group on the last one.

It's probably because of my marketing and editorial background, but I usually think of the title first. That doesn't mean I don't end up changing it by the time I'm done, though. And I'm not really published in fiction, so it's not like it's helped me in that department.

Rigil is living dangerously by coming up with a title before he knows how his story is going to end, but it hardly matters since he is such a good writer.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:33 pm

I wasn't asking anyone in particular. I was just putting a question out into the cosmic void. I just read the latest chapter, I'm wondering if Rigil was inspired by any of these characters, Trinity, Lara Croft, Jane Smith, Sidney Bristrow... Because I got all of them when T'Pol was kicking *** and taking names. But I am kind of worried about cultural contamination now, had these people seen a Vulcan before TOS, in canon? Just curious. I'm like Curious George.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:37 pm

In response to the inspiration question: I like ass kicking women. Look at my favorite fictional characters: Mara Jade, Ziva David, Kara Thrace, Aeryn Sun. Notice anything similar about them?

No comment regarding cultural contamination. RAFO. :)
Alelou wrote:Rigil is living dangerously by coming up with a title before he knows how his story is going to end, but it hardly matters since he is such a good writer.

Don't I know it.

But the name was intentionally selected because things aren't intended to entirely play out like they did in canon. As this is a "divergent" timeline, using that word was intended to hint at that factor. And I'll also freely admit that I wanted to also sort of hint at Frost's "The Road Not Taken" poem ("Two roads diverged in a wood") in a very loose manner.

As I've said before though, this entire story was an experiment in the "making it up as I go" style of writing (which I'm sort of violating as I outline various mini-arcs now.)

And, at the risk of stating a spoiler, "Trip and T'Pol try to reintegrate into Enterprise but really can't" is pretty much a fait accompli down the road, especially since Trip has been "weaponized." Don't think the security officer of any ship he's aboard would be pleased to discover the ChEng is a much bigger badass than him/her, ya know? :P And the Trip who tries to reintegrate is going to be a lot different from the pre-DivPath Trip.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:50 pm

Dang! I should have remembered you're a Mara fan, we actually have that in common! <pout> I'll be looking forward to the answers regarding cultural contamination. :popcorn: But if it were me writing it, I'd have T'Pol pretend she was the mythical creature they mentioned. Am I close? I looked up Patterns Of The Force from there it looks like in "canon" Spock was the first Vulcan they saw. BTW thank you for making T'Pol so reasonable even if she is scared about "the talk." Heck I'm scared about "the talk." How long do you think you'll keep us in suspence? You know "Will-they won't-they" 8) :lol:

Fics

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:02 pm

WarpGirl wrote:But if it were me writing it, I'd have T'Pol pretend she was the mythical creature they mentioned. Am I close?

T'Pol is tied up and unconscious, and very likely gagged and blindfolded at the moment.
I looked up Patterns Of The Force from there it looks like in "canon" Spock was the first Vulcan they saw.

This is also a pretty big planet. We have absolutely no idea where Patterns of Force took place in comparison to DivPath. It would be like presuming that everyone in 2010 USA knew about aliens who look pretty much human running around in 1910 China or 1910 Bolivia and causing all sorts of trouble. Not to mention, there are any number of wars going on at the moment, so every one of the people who have seen her could get themselves dead in a heartbeat without telling anyone else.
How long do you think you'll keep us in suspence?

Well, first, Trip has to be a Big Damned Hero (tm) and get his Vulcan back. Then, they've got to escape. And then, I've got to find an appropriate moment to not show a talk so Alelou can send me nasty vibes. :badgrin:

Seriously, it will happen in its own time. I can safely say that, by chapter 67 (which I'm working on now), the Talk has already happened. Probably not to everyone's satisfaction, but that's a given. At the moment, I'm more focused on trying to hammer out the next major story arc beyond what it currently is.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:09 pm

This is also a pretty big planet. We have absolutely no idea where Patterns of Force took place in comparison to DivPath. It would be like presuming that everyone in 2010 USA knew about aliens who look pretty much human running around in 1910 China or 1910 Bolivia and causing all sorts of trouble. Not to mention, there are any number of wars going on at the moment, so every one of the people who have seen her could get themselves dead in a heartbeat without telling anyone else.

Hey I'm just guessing. I'm not a telepath so I can't tell what's going on in your brain or how you set up Ekos in relation to TOS. If I knew what was in your head I wouldn't have to guess. :-p

T'Pol is tied up and unconscious, and very likely gagged and blindfolded at the moment.

Is this a hint she's not going to remember what they said before they knocked her out?

Well, first, Trip has to be a Big Damned Hero (tm) and get his Vulcan back. Then, they've got to escape. And then, I've got to find an appropriate moment to not show a talk so Alelou can send me nasty vibes.

Seriously, it will happen in its own time. I can safely say that, by chapter 67 (which I'm working on now), the Talk has already happened. Probably not to everyone's satisfaction, but that's a given. At the moment, I'm more focused on trying to hammer out the next major story arc beyond what it currently is.

AWESOME! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Fics

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Even though it's not Endeavour related at all, I added Divergent Paths to the Fiction area and even included the nifty teaser trailer thing Escriba made for me a while back.

Also, don't be too surprised when the site goes down. Thanks to my utterly fantastic financial situation at the moment :roll: I haven't been able to cover the yearly fee. I'm hoping that this string of shite luck with jobs will end soon and I can start getting back on my feet in the very near future.

And no, that is not an attempt to extort money from anyone, just a simple heads-up.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:25 pm

Well keep thinking positive, I hope things turn around soon.

Fics

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:39 pm

First thing I have to apologize for skimming the last chapter and not going back and rereading before posting. My bad. Had a Dr. Appt. and wanted to read it before I left. Went back this AM and reread.

Now that I've had time to go back, oops!! Looks like a company at least and maybe a mech infantry brigade spread throughout the area. She is currently neutralized and they know he is comming. This ought to be interesting.

"Big Dam Hero", you are talking Carlos Hathcock in Elephant Valley stuff here dude, add a touch of Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, and a big chunk of Audie Murphy for good measure.

Hope you didn't just go testosterone poisoned lovesick, bond over ride, fool. Nah, you wouldn't stoop that low. I can see him argue with himself for all of a minute as is this is obviously a suicide mission but I think his values are clear. The fact that he has a bond driving him into "Protector" mode could be bothersom as he does not know that little fact, yet.Hope he has read Sun Tzu and Klauswitz and maybe the Marine manual. Toss in some especially nasty Vulcan tactics, She has been teaching him tactics right, and there might be a slim maybe. Ok, Trek. Still, looking forward to how you make it work.

HtH

all inaccuracies are caused by gremlins in my head.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:23 pm

Hey I always thought one of the Tucker family heirlooms should be a Bowie knife, too bad he doesn't have one now. It could come in handy. Come to think of it I don't understand why Trip never carried around a utility knife just for work. I can't say how many times I'd think to myself, "Trip in this situation you need a cutting tool." I mean guys down where I live no matter what they do for work, always carry pocket knives. Sometimes more than one.

Edit: I didn't mean to imply all guys carry pocket knives. Its just that I always thought Trip being the type of guy he is, which is a lot like guys where I live, would be the type to carry one around. I mean he's active, in certain episodes its implied he's spent a lot of time out doors, like diving, and "working on boats" which you usually have a knife around to do. Plus I always thought he must have spent some time in Mississippi because his parents moved there, why there? Maybe they had spent time there when he was a kid, if it was an area in "rual" Mississippi, and Trip spent a lot of time outdoors a blade would come in handy. Plus there's the fact that he's an engineer and he takes things apart and puts them back together, a small utility knife is often much better than a screwdriver, (or the 22nd century equivilant) for delicate work.

Fics

Thot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Thot » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Plus, I sort of envision it as not being a "complete" bond at this point since they haven't taken the final step and consummated it. But if you're expecting the telepathic telephone of most ficdom, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. I've always preferred approaching differently from that since the only time in canon we see them communicating thus is when she's meditating in the white room and he's zoning out at the same time.

That's the way I like it most, because for one Trip is still human, a special one, but to give him abilities of a full scalled telepath, seems a bit farfetched. Two with this communication through meditationspace trick you give your story "windows of communication" and not constant lines, what gives more depth to the story.

Alelou wrote:The happy ending: Trip and T'Pol try to reintegrate into Enterprise but really can't, and diverge off into their own lives -- this time voluntarily, or to the save the universe, or whatever.

The unhappy ending: Trip and T'Pol's mutual paths diverge. (Wah!)

Who says, that T/T have to be the ones, who go away after they return?
This story says "divergent paths" not "path".

In addition, I'm more interested to see, how T/T find a new way/understanding by coming back to Enterprise than to use the commonplace of 'they are unable to go back into their old lifes'.
To find a new life in old places is a far more inspiring setting than 'had a new life, come back to old life, old life sucks, return to new life'.

Rigil Kent wrote:As I've said before though, this entire story was an experiment in the "making it up as I go" style of writing (which I'm sort of violating as I outline various mini-arcs now.)

I advise you to carry on in violating it in this way, because it gives the story potential to build up tensions and later on to releas it again without finishing off the story as a whole. :thumbsup:
Otherwise you always are in danger, that the story simply dribbles along. :neutral:

Rigil Kent wrote:And the Trip who tries to reintegrate is going to be a lot different from the pre-DivPath Trip.

If this means, he doesn't swallow bullshit talk => :thumbsup:
And also if he has the backbone to make decisions quickly (and doesn't hesitate 'if he should inoculate the crew') => great :hug:
But if he losses typical traits like 'connecting with people' => please NOOO

You can take the naivety and some of the 'do-not-bother-too-much' attitude, but not the 'good heart' aspects. *please*

The list:
1. A plot, where T/T are still away from Enterprise and they have to do something "productive/uplifting", not simply "SURVIVE!" would be great: rescue a family from the dogs of war or, when they have already left the planet, become part of another crew of traders/boomers, or rescue a species from extinction... okay the last one is a little farfetched, but you know what I mean.
2. I want an Archer/Trip bro-mance sub-plot, when they return.
3. How do the Vulcans/Soval react to T/T?

right know, I don't have any other ideas. So when I come up with two others, I'll post them later.
"If we simply judge our past, we only condamn ourself not to understand it."

- Peter Godman

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:06 pm

I deny the Trip we saw in The Seventh, he had that virus or something.

But personally I don't want them to diverge from the crew completely. I find it hard to believe that even "weaponized" Trip could beat a well written former Section 31 operative like Malcolm Reed. Note the words (well written) ;-) I don't like the idea that these experiences could potentially change the fundemental relationship of Trip and Malcolm. It was the second most compelling relationship on the show, and in fic IMVHO. Also "weaponized" or not, Trip is an engineer, I can't see him wanting to leave that. I can't see him wanting to leave Enterprise either because it is his engine. Of course if he was promoted, to a prominent position in either Engineering, or a Captaincy that I could possibly accept. I'm not asking what Rigil has planned, because I don't want him to answer.

Fics

Navigator
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Navigator » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:57 am

Edit: I didn't mean to imply all guys carry pocket knives. Its just that I always thought Trip being the type of guy he is, which is a lot like guys where I live, would be the type to carry one around.

Yes, we do. Some of us carry two.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:04 am

My younger brother had you beat Navigator he used to carry 3!

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”