How do I know Trip Had a Graduate Degree?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: How do I know Trip Had a Graduate Degree?

Postby Brandyjane » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:54 am

:shock: That picture makes me feel very, very stupid.

Yeah, I never bought for a second that Trip didn't have a formal education. He probably has the equivalent of several doctorates. I could see him making a comment to Hoshi that he learned everything he knew working on boat engines, meaning that his father or grandfather or somebody taught him how to fix stuff. I have trouble seeing Hoshi taking the comment literally, though, unless she really has an extremely poor grasp of the complexity of warp engines.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:56 pm

Trip must have had a formal colllege education. As a Genius he could understand many things but he still would need lots of education. Other wsie he wouild be what was called an "Idiot Savant" not meaning he was an idiot but an uneducated genius.

He knew too much and pulled too many Rabbits out of the hat to be lacking an educartion. Dcorates. Probably, I have thought that he started college early and took more than one major at a time. He may have attended a few really top notch colleges taking three majors at a time. (that is not wild eyed, I remember seeing a phhoto of a man holding three degrees: Medical, law and one other which I cannot remember) all taken at the same time.

So, trip may have entered college at age 15 and finished at age 24 (after graduate work which earned him masters and probably a PHD) when he entered Starfleet Acadmy for training in Warp Drive theiory and warp drive mechanics.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Postby justTripn » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:20 pm

In my universe, Trip was so smart that Starfleet recruited him at 17 and taught him all he needed to know (including lots of math and hands on training with warp engines).

Elessar writes the best technobabble. From "Skin Deep":

SPOILER!!!:
“Ya know, you might wanna’ be a little nicer to me, and maybe when I find the slipstream coefficient, I’ll share my Nobel with you!” Trip smirked.

“The slipstream coefficient is a myth, no such technology is possible.”

“Well hold on a second, just because the last test failed to-”

“The test failed, even, to successfully divert sufficient warp power to the main deflector without inertial stresses on the support pylons exceeding the ship’s specified tolerance. Assuming the Krieger Hypothesis is even valid, it has been shown by Vulcan physicists that the computations necessary to sustain a stable tunnel would be a hundred orders of magnitude greater than the capability of any known isolinear configuration.”

“Pft,” Trip scoffed. “Who cares what computations are necessary, T’Pol, we’re talkin’ about a new subspace domain that’s never been tapped before. Can you even imagine the warp speeds? We’d need a new scale!”

“You are sensationalizing. There is no reason to believe the Hypothesis is even valid. Should space-time curvature even allow the introduction of the Feigenbaum Harmonic at the quantum level, it would be nearly impossible to predict the metric function values after a very short period of—”

“No, no, I know, but I had an idea this morning…” Trip interrupted. “What if…” Trip paused to collect his thoughts. “What if the metric function didn’t have to be hyperchaotic?”

“That is not possible, the metric function is related to spatial density dispersion by an exponential n-to-the-nth Lyapunov exponent. Spatial trajectories diverge at displacements smaller than ten to the negative thirty—”

“What if the observed trajectories were mapped in a hyper-phase space? Defined by the subspace coordinates, not the spatial. I mean… I haven’t run the numbers yet to check, but I’m pretty sure that working backwards, you’d get the same spatial coordinates if you setup the right kinda conformal—”

“—Map back to the six-dimensional quantum phase space.”

“Exactly,” Trip answered.

“The conformal map would be extremely complex to construct.”

“Well, Rome wasn’t built in a day,” Trip responded.

Wheww!!!!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:34 pm

E & WG: If you don't stop the argument about equations, I will be tempted to post some of them that explain squeezed quantum states (only because I used it in a story)... :mrgreen:

I am mistaken, or there was a reference on ENT that Trip has taken the degrees at one of great American universities (MIT, Stanford) ?

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: Misplacedmama

Postby Misplaced » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:34 pm

justTripn wrote:In my universe, Trip was so smart that Starfleet recruited him at 17 and taught him all he needed to know (including lots of math and hands on training with warp engines).

Elessar writes the best technobabble. From "Skin Deep":

SPOILER!!!:
“Ya know, you might wanna’ be a little nicer to me, and maybe when I find the slipstream coefficient, I’ll share my Nobel with you!” Trip smirked.

“The slipstream coefficient is a myth, no such technology is possible.”

“Well hold on a second, just because the last test failed to-”

“The test failed, even, to successfully divert sufficient warp power to the main deflector without inertial stresses on the support pylons exceeding the ship’s specified tolerance. Assuming the Krieger Hypothesis is even valid, it has been shown by Vulcan physicists that the computations necessary to sustain a stable tunnel would be a hundred orders of magnitude greater than the capability of any known isolinear configuration.”

“Pft,” Trip scoffed. “Who cares what computations are necessary, T’Pol, we’re talkin’ about a new subspace domain that’s never been tapped before. Can you even imagine the warp speeds? We’d need a new scale!”

“You are sensationalizing. There is no reason to believe the Hypothesis is even valid. Should space-time curvature even allow the introduction of the Feigenbaum Harmonic at the quantum level, it would be nearly impossible to predict the metric function values after a very short period of—”

“No, no, I know, but I had an idea this morning…” Trip interrupted. “What if…” Trip paused to collect his thoughts. “What if the metric function didn’t have to be hyperchaotic?”

“That is not possible, the metric function is related to spatial density dispersion by an exponential n-to-the-nth Lyapunov exponent. Spatial trajectories diverge at displacements smaller than ten to the negative thirty—”

“What if the observed trajectories were mapped in a hyper-phase space? Defined by the subspace coordinates, not the spatial. I mean… I haven’t run the numbers yet to check, but I’m pretty sure that working backwards, you’d get the same spatial coordinates if you setup the right kinda conformal—”

“—Map back to the six-dimensional quantum phase space.”

“Exactly,” Trip answered.

“The conformal map would be extremely complex to construct.”

“Well, Rome wasn’t built in a day,” Trip responded.

Wheww!!!!

:faint:
Officially retired from writing Trek fanfiction.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:36 pm

*shakes head* I understand the basic science of it, but god if the math doesn't kill me. My brain always seemed to be wired less for calculus than for statisitcs. Thank god Star Trek at least acknowledges you need to be a genius to get half of this...

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:58 pm

Me too! And Skin Deep is a masterpeice! I'm still wondering why our fearless leader is bothering with numbers and such when he could be knocking people of the NY Times bestseller list. But He will be successful no matter what.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:05 pm

He can be a best selling author after bothering with the numbers. Look at Aliaster Reynolds. He has like 2, maybe 3 PhDs and worked for the EU's version of NASA for like 10 years before he published. If you've never read Revelation Space, Redemption Ark, or Absolution Gap they are some of the hardest core space operas I've ever read.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:07 pm

What can I say? Impatient wench that I am, I don't wanna wait to buy the boss' books. :twisted:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Build a time machine? Though, following HG Well's logic, you do that, you'll never be able to get the books...

Though that thought does make me amazingly glad they never actually manufactured their own time travel in ENT. Sure, there were time travellers, and they were dragged at various points - by other people - back in time, but there was none of that slingshot-the-sun stuff from The Voyage Home.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Hey! "The whale movie" is AWESOME! :-P

Fics

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:47 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Hey! "The whale movie" is AWESOME!

Love it too, but, genius though he may be, I'm still glad they didn't have Trip build them a time machine, or slingshot them around a sun, or anything of the sort, in ENT.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:50 pm

True. :guffaw:

Fics

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Aw thanks ladies :D

I'm glad you liked Skin Deep... that took an incredibly long time to write. I started it and then got to a point where I didn't know where it was going, it was originally going to be like a post-Dawn ficlet and it just grew a pair of legs.

The math/science in that is sort of funny, I just re-read it myself. I was in a graduate physics class in undergrad at the time in nonlinear dynamics, fractals and chaos -- that's where I pulled all this chaos theory terminology from (Feigenbaum numbers, Lyapunov exponents, phase space, etc). I kind of invented the term "hyperchaotic" but it sounded cool!

Chaos theory's actually really fascinating, mathematically, not to mention a pain in the ass. I've described it as a Newtonian version of Uncertainty Principle. Basically, some nonlinear systems are so dependent upon their initial conditions that the mathematically computed "error" in the function is actually greater than the separation between initial parameters that leads to some separation of final parameters. Then there's such a thing as a "psuedoperiodic" system that's technically periodic (has periodic behavior like a sinusoid or cosine) but its period is infinity.... in other words it's like a repeating fraction... that doesn't repeat until the infinity'th digit (in other words it doesn't actually repeat).

Neat stuff. Especially because up until the 1970's, there were something like 4 or 5 known physical constants in the universe (the big constants like mu and epsilon and plank, not like G or pi) and in chaos theory, they discovered TWO MORE in the span of 10 years.

But back on topic -- I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of warp mechanics requires computational methods to really DO... sort of like CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics). A lot of useful fluids work can't be done analytically (in mathematical generalities, with general solutions that work for all cases like y + z = 4 gives you z = 4-y for all z and y in the real numbers), can only be done numerically under very strict initial conditions and boundary conditions that setup convenient symmetries so that the Navier-Stokes equations become solvable. That would probably be true of a higher level field like warp drive. It's concievable, however, that if such a field as 'warp physics' existed, given its reliance on higher dimensional physics, it'd include some language of differential geometry (which IS very analytical, thankfully) but I'm sure there'd be computational elements to it.

In other words, with computational fields like CFD you have to just learn algorithms but really all you do is stick them into a computer and it does all the heavy lifting. As a mathematician you SHOULD understand what they're doing, but you wouldn't have to for it to work. That still wouldn't allow Trip to do his job without at least a PhD in something like Physics or Aeronautical Engineering with a Masters level education in math & physics.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:55 pm

Boss headache! Layman's terms, in one paragraph or less. :-P But it all just proves that you are brilliant. :D

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”