T'Pol's Clothing

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: T'Pol's Clothing

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:51 pm

OK first of all, it wasn't the "green tinge" I had a problem with. Sarek's and Spock's makeup was very well done. My problem was that the "bronze" coloring was obviously fake. It didn't look like she was a desert dweller, she looked like she spent hours in a tanning bed and a spray booth. Besides she hadn't lived on Vulcan for any real amount of time for a while. I think that living on Earth, and later the artificial light would have made her complexsion lighter over time. I just didn't think the makeup was well done. Especially since JB is so beautiful!!!!!

Secondly, I thought most of the shades of purple she wore were way too warm, considering she's supposed to have a "green tinge" the Jumpsuit made her look too green. JMO.

Personally I thought Rigil's last JB/T'Pol avatar was so beautiful I wish they had done her makeup more like that, of course with a slight "green tinge".
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Aquarius wrote:Um, I think that "fake tan" was meant to give T'Pol the complexion of a desert dweller, while giving her a greenish hue due to the color of her blood, the way we glow pink. It isn't meant to look healthy or normal by human standards.

One more reminder that Vulcans aren't just humans with pointed ears.

Right. Actually, they are the Humans who are Vulcans with rounded ears.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:07 pm

Uh ... what?
WarpGirl wrote:OK first of all, it wasn't the "green tinge" I had a problem with. Sarek's and Spock's makeup was very well done. My problem was that the "bronze" coloring was obviously fake. It didn't look like she was a desert dweller, she looked like she spent hours in a tanning bed and a spray booth. Besides she hadn't lived on Vulcan for any real amount of time for a while. I think that living on Earth, and later the artificial light would have made her complexsion lighter over time. I just didn't think the makeup was well done. Especially since JB is so beautiful!!!!!

Secondly, I thought most of the shades of purple she wore were way too warm, considering she's supposed to have a "green tinge" the Jumpsuit made her look too green. JMO.

I don't think we're going to remotely agree on this fact. I thought she looked fantastic in season 3 and 4, and felt that the bronzing was long overdue.

And I totally disagree with you about the shades of purple she wore. I thought she looked fantastic in the wedding dress.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:11 pm

Did I say I didn't like her Wedding Dress?????????? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: If I did, I did not mean too. That shade of purple was cooler than the jumpsuit she wore. And it did look very beautiful.

Did I say the fact she was tan was a problem???????? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: I meant that the tan did not look natural, I could tell it was a fake. There are ways to make a fake tan look natural.

And I don't expect anyone to agree with what I say around here. But your sig says you'll defend to the death for my right to say it. 8)
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:13 pm

Well, some of us see the show through a lens of liking it and appreciating it, and some of us don't, Rigil. I didn't care for the catsuit of Season 1 & 2, but I always thought JB looked beautiful in her civilian garb whatever the season.

I thought she looked especially fantastic in Civilization in Season One, although that wasn't Vulcan garb of any kind.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:15 pm

honeybee wrote:I thought she looked especially fantastic in Civilization in Season One, although that wasn't Vulcan garb of any kind.

I concur vehemently!

Fics

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:19 pm

WarpGirl wrote: There are ways to make a fake tan look natural.

As a pale, pasty midwestern person, I WISH fake tans looked natural. Even when I had a great airbrush tan that cost me $25 my ankles ended up blotchy. At least Jolene wasn't orange like most fake tanners are.

I can't bring myself to criticize her appearance at all. I love all her clothes, I WISH I had a body like that, and a face so pretty she could pull off the Vulcan hair style.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:21 pm

I wasn't criticizing JB, I was criticizing the person who sprayed her tan.

Fics

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:22 pm

Truthfully, I've never seen anyone with a spray-on tan that didn't look like they had ... well ... a spray-on tan. So I just rolled with it. Besides, they did far worse later ("Terra Prime" where T'Pol apparently paid a visit to the manicurist after her baby died.)
honeybee wrote:I didn't care for the catsuit of Season 1 & 2

Yeah, that carpet suit was godawful ugly. Although I must admit, I thought the make-up they gave her in "Strange New Worlds" was phenom because she actually looked a little more alien than normal.
I thought she looked especially fantastic in Civilization in Season One, although that wasn't Vulcan garb of any kind.

Is that the one where she had fake long hair? Does it really count since they were using local garb?
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:26 pm

I don't know if it "counts", since it wasn't her own sartorial choice. But the colors did look great on her.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:27 pm

Heh. You used "sartorial" in a word. :D

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:30 pm

Rigil Kent wrote: Besides, they did far worse later ("Terra Prime" where T'Pol apparently paid a visit to the manicurist after her baby died.)

I just looked at Trek Core Screen caps, though, and she had the long nails & manicure throughout Demons & Terra Prime! How she managed to not break a nail, I'll never know!!!! :-p

She has a long french manicure in several episodes. I think that is very un-Vulcan.
Last edited by Aikiweezie on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Well I didn't say a spray tan could look natural, I said a "fake tan" could. They used to do it extremely well back in the 50's and 60's in hollywood. Case in point, Yavonne DeCarlo. She had fake tans for certain roles that looked better than her natual pale skin. Same thing for Debra Paget. I definitely think T'Pol should be a little tan and "green."

And you're right Rigil there were episodes where JB looked like an alien Goddess, but there were just as many episodes where it looked really fake.

Don't get me started on the nails, please don't. I don't think anyone can pull off acrylics. And I've gotten them done myself.

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Me and my acrylics disagree with you.

As for the continuity with her nails, JB may very well have had a shoot or appearance or audition that necessitated looking finished and put together, including her nails. They probably didn't think fans would blow a gasket over it.

Re Marc Lenard and Leonard Nimoy's makeup, JB is naturally a different complexion than they are, so obviously they're going to make different choices for her.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:50 pm

Aquarius wrote:As for the continuity with her nails, JB may very well have had a shoot or appearance or audition that necessitated looking finished and put together, including her nails. They probably didn't think fans would blow a gasket over it.

Maybe we should cross-reference under the "You know you're a Trek fan when" thread!
"You know you're a Trek fan when" you notice minutae like this! :lol: No wonder people make fun of us.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”