Language misunderstandings

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Language misunderstandings

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:00 pm

I've got one. A man I knew learned Spanish to help people learn about the Bible, so when the lady asked "How much?" he tried to say 30 pasos (?) Honestly I can't spell in English, how can I spell in Spanish? Anyway he accidently said Basos (?) well a paso is money, a baso is a kiss. Needless to say everyone was quite embarrassed. :oops:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Postby justTripn » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:36 pm

Alelou wrote:Etymologists immediately begin to imagine the scene two hundred years ago when a Thai man huskily said to his lady, "Look here, baby ... is this as big as a buffalo, or what? And it's all for you!"

She responds, "Oh, honey, that IS a buffalo," with an even lower tone of her own, and the language changes forever....

:guffaw:
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:59 pm

WarpGirl wrote:I've got one. A man I knew learned Spanish to help people learn about the Bible, so when the lady asked "How much?" he tried to say 30 pasos (?) Honestly I can't spell in English, how can I spell in Spanish? Anyway he accidently said Basos (?) well a paso is money, a baso is a kiss. Needless to say everyone was quite embarrassed. :oops:

:lol: :lol: Just to make it more accurate:

Pesos = Mexican currency.
Besos = Kisses. (vasos -which actually has the same pronunciation of "basos"- means glasses, which is strange enough too.)

Argentinians make fun of Donostia's La Concha Bay. Since for them "concha" is pussy (yeah, the woman's one, not the cat.) If you say La Concha Bay to an off guard Argentinian he guffaws for at least five minutes. I know :D

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:22 pm

Did I get it wrong? Oh well but what about the Conch mollusk. You know the one in the pretty pink shell, that's eaten in the carribian? What do people call that in Argentina?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:35 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Did I get it wrong?

Not really, it's just an "e" for an "a." An understable mistake for the different pronunciations of vowels in English and Spanish.

WarpGirl wrote:but what about the Conch mollusk. You know the one in the pretty pink shell, that's eaten in the carribian? What do people call that in Argentina?

That one is called "caracola." "Concha" actually is "shell." And I was so embarrassed then that I forgot to ask how they say "shell" :lol: (probably something pedantic; Argentinians are quite pedantic for Spanish standards :twisted:)

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:42 pm

Unfortunately when it comes to languages my talent is picking up sounds and spoken pronunciation. Not the whole writing part.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:54 pm

Spanish pronunciation puzzles me. If v and b are the same sound, why have two different letters? It's usually one of those languages you can spell easily because its spelling rules are so much clearer than English, but then you get this thing. And am I just imagining it or does r in the middle of a word often become d? To my ear, my husband's friend Rovira is pronounced Robida.

Or maybe that's my pathetic attempt to pronounce it right and Puerto Ricans just let me away with it?

And yeah, I know, English pronunciation makes worse sense.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:16 pm

The only time I have trouble with Spanish is when my aunt, or my friends start talking so fast that the words jumble together, This might sound odd, but Russian is insanely easy for me.

Fics

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:21 pm

I'm not completely sure, but I think the b/v distinction comes from the fact that in Latin v was used as an "u", and that in ancient Greek there wasn't any v, but it was later incorporated, and sometimes when it's near some letters (like m, I think) it sounds like b. And Spanish have words from those languages (in fact, most part of Spanish comes from Latin), so maybe that's why? :dunno:

Alelou wrote:And am I just imagining it or does r in the middle of a word often become d? To my ear, my husband's friend Rovira is pronounced Robida.

It becomes very soft, that's for sure, but I don't know if so much as to sound like a d. Except for a Basque, we are very known for pronouncing r verrrry strrrongly :lol:

For my part, I must confess that it took me ages to catch that the last part in "enough" is pronounced "uf" :oops: :lol:

"Yes, miss."
"You do?"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:26 pm

My aunt's ex-husband was from Peru, and oh boy did he have strong r's! He was sweet he taught me a lot of Spanish and Italian. But when your name has an r in it you sometime thought he was yelling at you. Hey I was 8!

Fics

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:33 pm

Alelou wrote:Etymologists immediately begin to imagine the scene two hundred years ago when a Thai man huskily said to his lady, "Look here, baby ... is this as big as a buffalo, or what? And it's all for you!"

She responds, "Oh, honey, that IS a buffalo," with an even lower tone of her own, and the language changes forever....

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! Love this! :guffaw: :guffaw:

One language that is a minefield for misunderstanding: Mandarin (or Cantonese) Chinese. You've GOT to get the tones just right. :lol:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:44 am

WarpGirl wrote:The only time I have trouble with Spanish is when my aunt, or my friends start talking so fast that the words jumble together, This might sound odd, but Russian is insanely easy for me.

I could have used such a talent a couple of years ago :shock: Took me ages to cope with Russian's insanely complex grammar. :? And as people seem to be fascinated with strrrrrong r's - the rolling r of the russians is quite hefty too :D

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:22 am

Hold on dearie I didn't say I was fluent I'm not. But when I was learning it was very easy for me to pronounce things and learn what they mean.

Fics

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Ulva » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:19 pm

My personal favourite is the word fag. Now, I'm no longer a smoker but I couldn't help myself when I was among my American friends back when I still was a smoker... I just had to announce my going outside to enjoy my Marlboro with "I'm having a fag". :guffaw:
Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right. - Isaac Asimov

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:09 am

I've been told, that it is less than dignified in some places to announce "I'm randy" if one hapens to have that name :lol:

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”