What

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: What

Postby Asso » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:33 pm

I think it's not only a matter of perceptions. We love what takes us to taste something we love already inside us.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:38 pm

Alelou wrote:Ha, how perceptions can differ! And I admired them for sticking to it. It was shocking and truly painful. In fact, that was the episode that totally hooked me. After that I wanted to see them ALL.

I'm with you Alelou even if I haven't seen it yet. To me that was a situation where real unselfish love was put front and center, kudos to both Trip and T'Pol for the way they handled it. You knew the marriage wouldn't last, come on... The female lead has a husband off ship??? Yeah right, not even Janeway was stuck in that mess forver.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:39 pm

Alelou, I would have had the writers, TPTB, suits, Drawn and quartered and their heads put on Pikes and paraded through town.

That HOOKED you? I don't believe I will ask yu what your favorite Episodes are. I shudder to think of what you may reveal. You sound like such a nice person.

Opinons differe I guess. SIGH
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:41 pm

I don't think that's fair, you may think Home was awful because TnT hit a snag, and Trip got his heart broken, and T'Pol was cruel... But that doesn't mean others can't view it differently.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:44 pm

I don't think he meant it that way. But I think it's safe to say SB and I do view most of these things quite differently.

IDIC...
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:47 pm

Sorry. :oops: I like the way you look at things Alelou. :D

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:52 pm

I disliked it because it was unecessary. Damned thing was ended a few Episodes later and never brought up again.

It was thrown in for Angst (which I hate.)

NO need for it at all.

Had they wanted Drama and Angst they could have had Mother confessing that she stole
files froom the acadamy and that she belonged to a group that was trying to overthrow the government and that she ws planning on going into the Forge with them. also that she thought T-Pol should leave vulcan for Enterprise where she would be safe.

T-Pol could then Tell trip of her Love for him and also tell Mom that she had mated with a human who she now loved and that he would protect her when they returned to Enterprise.

NO Need for Koss at all if the writers had not been so damned lazy and decided to do a soaper.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:59 pm

Silverbullet wrote:...It was thrown in for Angst (which I hate.)

Didn't I say now and again, by chance, what I think of the angst? :lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:01 pm

See, to me, your alternative plot would have felt more like a soaper. I wouldn't mind reading it in fanfic, but as an Enterprise plot? Nah. Not unless Mom is actually up to something diabolical or being manipulated by Romulans or something.

"Home" showed us an incipient interspecies romance running BAM into an alien culture that made no allowances for such things. I thought it was good science fiction and heartbreaking drama.

I'll grant you they got into the angst in season 4 fairly excessively, but to me Home wasn't that.

But seriously, you also can't have an ongoing romance in a TV show that's not about marriage that isn't going to have some gratuitous angst. Otherwise, said romance will resolve too quickly, jump the shark, kill the suspense, lose the sizzle, and -- worst crime of all -- drop the ratings. And even the shows that ARE about marriage are going to have to introduce some angst from somewhere. Without conflict, what do you have? No drama.
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:03 pm

AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN You ROCK Alelou! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:35 pm

Well, you know I don't love angst and that I don't share your ideas about that (I'm in minority, I know.):

Alelou wrote: ...But seriously, you also can't have an ongoing romance in a TV show that's not about marriage that isn't going to have some gratuitous angst. Otherwise, said romance will resolve too quickly, jump the shark, kill the suspense, lose the sizzle, and -- worst crime of all -- drop the ratings. And even the shows that ARE about marriage are going to have to introduce some angst from somewhere. Without conflict, what do you have? No drama.

But I desire to tell you, if you allow me, my personal perception of "Home". In reality I didn't find in this episode what I hate, namely "Gratuitous Angst".
There was angst, sure, but not "gratuitous". There was the right dose, and then it was obvious that things did have to go wrong.
But...but...
Someway I perceived "Home" as a beginning, not as a end.
For the first time it was clear that Trip had fallen in love with T'Pol, and - even if I would have preferred a Trip a little bit more pugnacious - he almost appeared to me as a "Tragic Hero".
I don't like Koss and, frankly I DISLIKE T'Less, but Trip is great.
And T'Pol... well she seems to me realizing, at last. I think in this episode her love for Trip is displayed, for the first time.
I repeat: I thought of Home" as the beginning, then.... THAT DAMNED ANGUISHING FOUR SEASON! :bitch:
Fortunately there has been "Bound"! :D

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:41 pm

Yeah well there's a difference between throwing angst in to shake things up for no reason, (*the_abomination*) and showing situations and problems that lead to character and relationship development. If anyone out there has a perfect life, a perfect romance, a perfect marriage, and a perfect mate, I want to know when you became perfect yourself. Like it or not 95% of the hard times TnT went through were valid problems that helped to shape their relationship. Would I have done a few things differently? Sure, I would have made sure they could communicate like two responsible adults. But all in all, I find the situations they had to deal with to be quite accurate considering the obsticals they have.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:48 pm

I agree with you, Asso, about the angst in "Home" not being gratuitous. And it was a kind of beginning -- at least we had Trip on the record, at last.

Though it was not the most auspicious beginning. Our poor heroes! So much to overcome, and so little time in which to overcome it! So we'll be fixing it over and over in fanfic forever.

Did anyone here ever watch an old BBC or ITV series called "When the Boat Comes In?" You want to talk about an ultimately depressing main romance.... I wonder if that's still around somewhere? I'm not sure I even remember it correctly anymore.
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:07 pm

Again there was no way T'Pol was going to STAY married so I don't get what the fuss is about.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:19 pm

My point is that the whole damned thing was ended in a couple episodes.

Had T-Pol tried to end it and Koss fought it but t-Pol finally got her divorce about mid season four with a little help from her friends. I could see the Marriage. But it came out of the blue. Koss was a dead issue as far as the series seemed after T-Pol stayed on Enterprise in "Breaking the Ice."

I STILL say that the writers were tying to signal something to the viewers:

There was a letter from Koss waiting for T-Pol when she arrived at her mothers house.

HOW did Koss know she was returning to vulcan? I am certain t-Pol didn't tell him she was coming back. why should she as far as she was concerned they were finished a few years ago.

so,that leaves only Mother to inform Koss. which sounds damned fishy to me. All through the episode T-Les seemed to be pushing T-Pol towards Koss and Lying to T-Pol ffequently. also bathmouthing Trip.

That bit at the end when she tells trip to reveal his feelings. the cermony was
ready to start t-Pol had her wedding gown on Koss was ready to bang the gong. Little late for Trip to be saying anything. Mother should have known that. Even if trip did say something what was t-Pol to do at that late date? Declare a Death Match?

The episode would have been far better to my mind if Tnt finaly communicated thier Love.

Of course I am a Helpless romantic.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”