The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: T'Pol's Un-Vulcan Like Behavior

Postby Silverbullet » Mon May 25, 2009 1:34 am

Warpgirl, you must be kidding. I can't remember what I had for dinner and that was about 15 minutes ago. How do you expect me to remember a Post I did this Morning.

BTW, two things may have happened: Someone pushed Submit at the very moment I did and mine lost out. Or it was my computer. I HATE Vista. Will try to remember the Post as well as I can but mind is made mostly of mush these days.

Hope everyone had a safe Memorial day. I did cause I didn't gp out of the house.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 25, 2009 1:37 am

I sympathize with your Vista woes but BELIEVE me it's better than Sabayon! I finally scrapped both and now have windows 7 don't ask how I got it I'm not even sure. This is what happens when you have hacker friends. Oh come on you've got to have some sort of opinion to post. It doesn't have to be the EXACT post.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon May 25, 2009 11:06 am

WarpGirl wrote:Um well, that makes no sense to me. Sorry but the pointed ears kind of make it certain that they're not human. :vulcan: That and the green blood, the telepathic abilities, the slanted eyebrows... The list goes on. Unless you know humans that can mind meld in which case I'm scared! Do you think the Xindi are long lost cousins too? :lol:

Oh, I'm aware that my idea can appear strange, that it can make no sense. But the fact is that two species cannot evolve so similarly and so differently at the same time. So, considering can the mistake cannot be erased, in accordance with which Vulcans were described, I'm trying to find some little explanation.
I believe I'm not in fault, if I say that in TOS a common root, an unique source there has been supposed for all Humanoid races in the Universe.
That's the point. In the light of this assumption - which appears logical and scientific, for me - there are not Aliens, in a strict meaning, in the Universe, at least with regard to Humanoid races.
So, any difference - small or big - can be brought back into a common and shared runway.
All races have the possibilities to do what - for the time being - one or two of them are able to do.
So, the idea that the Xindi can be our cousins is not foreign to me. At least in regard to their Humanoid components. :lol:
Well, maybe I am a little too much in agreement with "The Seedling Stars", by James Blish. 8)
Last edited by Asso on Mon May 25, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Mon May 25, 2009 11:51 am

4) Eating with her hands - I can name two times, at a movie she digs into shared bucket of popcorn (I think it's Archer's), AND she eats a peach that Trip gives her - with her hands.

She also ate with her hands in 'Home' sitting with Trip and her mother.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon May 25, 2009 12:48 pm

pdsldl wrote:She also ate with her hands in 'Home' sitting with Trip and her mother.

Yes! A glaring continuity error. And Trip, too, if I recall. And no way would he intentionally eat rudely in front of T'Les. At least not at that point.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 25, 2009 12:55 pm

I've only seen the popcorn episode. Um how can they make her eat with her hands in "Home" if she and Trip wore gloves to make breakfast?! I HATE mistakes like that. :evil: Oh and ASSO You can think whatever you want dear that's the point of all this, but I have to say I'm completely lost. But I do believe a TNG episode has that exact theory. A race of beings used the common building blocks of life to "plant" life in the univers and let it evolve on its own. I can't remember the title. I might look it up later.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Mon May 25, 2009 12:57 pm

It wasn't just T'Pol who had un-Vulcan like behavior in 'Home'. Koss, a supposedly proper, controlled, unemotional Vulcan, tells T'Pol he just wants her to be happy. Isn't happiness still considered an emotion?
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 25, 2009 1:04 pm

Technically Vulcans are supposed to be able to "move past" the need for emotional gratification. But Surak said that to do that you have to accept that you have emotions to begin with. Koss did make a slip but in reality Vulcans were never supposed to deny their emotions, only be able to control them and be able to put them aside for the greater good. It would have been better for Koss to say "I only wish for your contentment" which is a state of being. A lot of the differences with humans and Vulcans comes from the form of expression, AND the fact that two languages don't always translate exactly. So a lot gets caught up in semantics.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon May 25, 2009 2:53 pm

Warp Girl as best as I can remember:

Pecan Pie. In the last scene of Breaking the Ice we saw t-Pol in her quarters with a slice of Pecan pie. she was staring at it. but we never saw her eat it. Can only assume she did. although it has bothered me for some time what that staring at the slice of Pecan Pie ment.

Bond: T-Pol said "It has been long believed that when a Vulcan mates a Physic bond is formed. When she seduced Trip she should have known this as it was probably vulcan lore that hse had learned on vulcan. That being the case she knew that she would be starting a Bond with him and that it would be a lifetime bond. She was in effect binding him to her for life and knew it.

Home. Mom was the Dog in the manger in this episode. How did Koss know that T-Pol was coming back to vulcan. Doubt if t-Pol informed him so the only way he could find out would be from the mother. ths is why a letter from him was waiting for t-Pol whe she arrived home. Mom insisted T-Pol read the letter although t-Pol did not want to. also Mom insisted that T_pol meet with Koss in the Garden. Again although T-Pol did not want to. Mom bathmouthed Trip and t-Pol's relationship with him even to saying that if they had children they would be halfbreeds. Mom also laid a guilt trip on T-Pol strongly hinting that it was T-Pol's fault that Mom was forced into retirment. In other words it seemed that Mm was hand in glove with koss to coerce t-Pol into a marriage with a man she didn't even like.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 25, 2009 2:58 pm

Pecan pie is not forbidden to Vulcans they can eat whatever they was so long as it's not meat with censure. ENT screwed that up. The bond, well she was half out of her mind with pa'nar and Trellium at the time, so rational thought didn't enter the equation. And I like to think that time, respect, and nuropressure started forming it long before the girl jumped him. As for "Home" haven't seen it yet.

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon May 25, 2009 6:08 pm

Okay, WarpGirl. I give up. I think it's useless I try yet to explain what I want to mean. I attempted to do it many times and I failed, always.
I stop, now. Forget what I said. Never mind.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 25, 2009 7:14 pm

OK. T'Pol's UnVulcan behavior was really not a lot of those things on the list. It was her constantly talking down to just about everyone in most of season 1. And the whole "I need to be Archer's little hero-worshiping protogee in some of season 2" Of course the whole TD fiasco of season 3 was just sickening from a Vulcan prespective. But by the time of season 4 she got it just about right. It was all the writers fault anyway. Making a unique Vulcan isn't hard, if they had just followed Sarek's model they would have been fine.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon May 25, 2009 7:34 pm

...tries to imagine Sarek in tight-fitting catsuit, fails miserably...
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon May 25, 2009 7:37 pm

Dammit I lost another post.

Pecan Pie: I know that Pecan Pie is not forbidden to vulcans. My point is that in the last scene we see t-pol in her quarters staring at a slice of Pecan Pie. what has always bothered me is what that stare meant. did it foretell the relatonship between TnT. Or did it mean that T-Pol began to think that trip was an interesting Human being and that she wanted to get to know him better. I doubt if she was looking at the slice of Pie Hungrily.

Bond: Cole represented a threat to T-Pol so she seduced trip and bound him to her for life ending the that posed by Cole. That robe dropping was planned not a sspur of the moment thing. She normally wore Pajamas with long trousers. So the robe with her naked underneth was on purpose. Trip had a look on his face like a stunned Ox when she dropped the robe and he saw Paradise.

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Mon May 25, 2009 7:40 pm

My original point was to discuss how and why T'Pol was a different, open-minded, curious and rebellious Vulcan - and that in turn led her to evolve and change into a very different person by the end of the series.

I like T'Pol very much.

BTW - MOST of the Vulcans are condescending to the Humans on Enterprise. T'Pol starts off that way - becomes less so after she gets to know and like the humans (one in particular :loveeyes: ).

When she returns home her mother comments on how much she changes and was picking up bad habits from the humans.

I think it might be time for this topic to die - I think I've been misunderstood. :cry:

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”