Need a Beta Reader? Post Here!

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Re: Need a Beta Reader? Post Here!

Postby Kotik » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:05 am

Peace an' long life, y'all :)

First of all, this being my first outing here, I want to thank all the nice people, who wrote all those nice TnT stories, kept me *really* busy over the last 2 weeks to read many of them.

Now I'm about to try my hand at it myself. A shorter story as a setup followed by some chapter stuff with general concentration on TnT.

For that I would like to ask, if someone would like to beta read for me. It might me a mighty task, since beside this being my first ever try at writing, I'm also not a native speaker, so some major spelling or grammar issues might be to resolve.

Thanx in advance,
Kotik

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:05 pm

I'm surely unable to help you, but let my say to you: WELCOME! :D

Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:05 pm

Kotik wrote:Peace an' long life, y'all :)

First of all, this being my first outing here, I want to thank all the nice people, who wrote all those nice TnT stories, kept me *really* busy over the last 2 weeks to read many of them.

Now I'm about to try my hand at it myself. A shorter story as a setup followed by some chapter stuff with general concentration on TnT.

For that I would like to ask, if someone would like to beta read for me. It might me a mighty task, since beside this being my first ever try at writing, I'm also not a native speaker, so some major spelling or grammar issues might be to resolve.

Thanx in advance,
Kotik

Herzlich wilkommen, Kotik! :D
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:29 am

Kotik wrote:Peace an' long life, y'all :)

Thanx in advance,
Kotik

I would love to help, but two jobs and lots of family drama are basically sucking my will to live right now.

I basically wanted to say that as smoothly as your post read, I never would've guessed that English isn't your first language. :thumbsup:

That, and welcome! 8)
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:44 am

Aquarius wrote:
I would love to help, but two jobs and lots of family drama are basically sucking my will to live right now.

I basically wanted to say that as smoothly as your post read, I never would've guessed that English isn't your first language. :thumbsup:

That, and welcome! 8)

Thanx, I'll take that as a big compliment :D Also, a big thanx for the friendly welcome by all.

Being somewhat adept in writing a forum post is one thing, but writing fiction is a different kind of animal, so I'd rather have a native speaker give it a glance. Since I'm currently rewriting my initial submission, I felt it was a bit too mushy and a tad too quick in progression, I'll post a link to my initial version here in a few days, so people, who're interested, might grab it for reading :)

Cheers, Kotik

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi! I really like to help beta for the non-native English speakers. HOWEVER. I am about to go on a week long vacation, and I have two items to beta ahead of yours, so . . . the turn around may be up to two weeks. :?

If you don't get any better offers, send it along in a PM and I'll take a look. (You can attach word documents in the PM).

And don't forget to read the collected works of justTrip'n! ;) The one everyone seems to like is "Tour of the Fireplains." The others are controversial.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:46 pm

Ok folks, here it goes. Shoot me :lol:

I grieve with thee

That's my first idea of a story. It's a prolog for a more elaborate chaptered work. People looking for angsty stuff, the sort of 'will they-wont they' will not get their fix here, the show gave us way too many of that crap. It's still WIP but I would rather have people stop me if I'm travelling down the wrong road before I waste weeks on a story that goes nowhere.

A short summary.

This story picks up at the exact moment, when the final credits of "Terra Prime" begin. Trip and T'Pol finally get their stubborn heads around the fact, that they work better as a couple. The Vulcans aren't too happy about it, because xenophobes are not exclusive to earth. Our favourite couple has to put up a fight.

A note for potential Beta readers. I'm currently not very happy about the way I made Shran end up on Enterprise. It seems awfully rushed, if someone has a better idea, please PM me.

Don't be shy, if what I wrote is rubbish, feel free to tell me, its my first ever work in a foreign language, so the odd screw-up is to be expected :oops:

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:57 pm

Foreign language?
Bloody hell, I know I cannot be a good judge, but I would want to write as you do. :bow:
And the story...
Well! Now I withdraw to read it at the best. :D
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:06 pm

I just read your first chapter, I liked your idea that the actions of Terra Prime backfired and the protests against them. A very positive thought. :D
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:07 pm

Ok. Here's the days work.

The draft for my debut story is complete :

I Grieve With Thee

And the start into the main dish is done as well. The story has some out of character moments, like T'Pau cracking one helluva joke. That cute leader of the Vulcan High Council shows some amazing insight to human minds. :lol:

Trip Of A Lifetime

Cheers, Kotik :wave:

still lookin' fa Beta readers *hint*hint* ;-)

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi Kotik,

I printed off "I Grieve With Thee" and will look at it soon, but I owe Asso an editing and am overdue with that :oops: . So if someone else will offer to beta yours, please take them up on it. Otherwise I will try to get your story read over the coming weekend.

Linda
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:05 pm

Kotik, do you want an advice? Wait, man, but if Linda wants to edit your story... GO FOR IT! :D
It is worth it! :D :D :D
Hey! Do you and me be about to go in competition, by chance? :lol:

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:59 am

Linda wrote:Hi Kotik,

I printed off "I Grieve With Thee" and will look at it soon, but I owe Asso an editing and am overdue with that :oops: . So if someone else will offer to beta yours, please take them up on it. Otherwise I will try to get your story read over the coming weekend.

Linda

I'm fine with a little wait Linda :) Thanx for your offer.

@Asso

Don't worry I'll gladly wait until Linda is finished with your work, having too much fun writing away anyways :D

cheers, Kotik :popcorn:

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:42 am

It may not be the best style to post consecutive replies, but I thought it is better than to edit my last one and nobody notices.

I'm still looking for people to beta-read my current work. My prolog story has been beta'ed by Linda (big thanx ma'am) with valuable ideas and critics from WarpGirl as well and I've produced 4 follow-up stories by now all about 40-60 pages long.

The 'problem' is, that I most of these are NC-17, which isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea. They aren't smut novels, but an attempt to couple romance with a dose of tasteful mature content, So if anyone out there has the time and the interest to help beta-reading a lot of writing, I'll be glad about a PM :D

Cheers, Kotik

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:27 am

I can't take any new projects on right now, Kotik, but you may have more luck grabbing a beta once your prologue is up -- people are more likely to volunteer after they've gotten hooked on your story (and have a clearer idea what they're getting into, especially since 40-60 pages is pretty long by fanfic standards).
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”